PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Alomar thinks Sox have no chance to win

maurice
01-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Money wasn't the issue. If money would have been the issue, then I would go someplace else. I just wanted to be in a good environment, with good people and with a good team that has a chance to win. I think the Diamondbacks were the answer.

Linky (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/071sd4.htm)

34 Inch Stick
01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Sounds like a justification for him overestimating his value and signing for 1.5 million less than offered. His brother is on the Sox and he reportedly enjoyed his time here. If he signed the Sox would have had a significantly similar starting lineup to last year.

Sorry Robbie, I am not buying it.

jabrch
01-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Sounds like a justification for him overestimating his value and signing for 1.5 million less than offered. His brother is on the Sox and he reportedly enjoyed his time here. If he signed the Sox would have had a significantly similar starting lineup to last year.

Robbies Grapes - the do not seem very sweet to me. In fact - they seem rather sour.

CHISOXFAN13
01-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

I'm not sure the Diamondbacks are better than the Padres at this point.

Cry me a river, Alomar.

duke of dorwood
01-07-2004, 01:14 PM
No one is ever sorry to leave here

mandmandm
01-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Join the club Robbie. Little late but there is room for you.

Kilroy
01-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Screw Robbie Alomar. The White Sox did NOT need him.

Irishsox1
01-07-2004, 01:36 PM
The Sox showed interest and Robbie wanted more money. The Sox took back there offer and no one was interested. Robbie went back to the Sox and the Sox said they were sticking with Hollywood Harris, so Robbie looked around and found Arizona. It had to do with money as usual.

pudge
01-07-2004, 01:37 PM
First of all, he never actually says the Sox don't have a chance to win, although I suppose you could infer that from his statement... we made him an offer and he likely thought he could get more.... so we dropped our offer, now he acts all tough.

It's bogus... why would Sandy stay if it's so terrible playing for the Sox?

Foulke You
01-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Whenever a player says "It's not about the money", it is ALWAYS about the money. Robbie felt "betrayed" that the Sox didn't leave the deal on the table. Well, that is the way the cookie crumbles Robbie. You should have taken the money when it was offered to you. Don't pretend that Arizona was where you wanted to be all along and that money wasn't an issue.

soxfan26
01-07-2004, 02:23 PM
R. Alomar never had any class, so statements like this coming from him should be no suprise. I agree with pudge on the fact that he never directly takes a shot at the Sox. It was most likely the purpose of his nonsense statement. But what should we infer the meaning of this to be then?

"If I can get in good shape, I think I can play the way I used to play," the 10-time Gold Glove winner said.

To me this says Alomar knows that his performance has been garbage for the last three seasons, but just figured out that teams are not going to pay him for yesterday's performance.

Good Riddance.

Deadguy
01-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Linky (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/071sd4.htm)

Didn't Robbie also state that he wanted a multi-year deal because he wanted to chase 3000 hits for the same franchise?

Enjoy 3rd place in the NL West, you washed up piece of garbage.

RKMeibalane
01-07-2004, 02:48 PM
I had hoped that the Sox were going to be able to keep Alomar, but since it appears that he didn't want to be here in the first place, then good riddance. The Sox offered him a deal that was more than fair, given how poorly he has played over the past few seasons, and he turned it down. The D-Backs were stupid enough to offer him that contract, and he took it.

I'm counting the days until I read that Alomar has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. He doesn't have much left in the tank, so I doubt that he will be able to help Arizona. That organization has quickly become a retirement community for washed-up players (SEE: Mark Grace, Matt Williams).

Paul Konerko will be playing there by 2006. Count on it.

mandmandm
01-07-2004, 02:54 PM
That organization has quickly become a retirement community for washed-up players (SEE: Mark Grace, Matt Williams).

Paul Konerko will be playing there by 2006. Count on it. [/B]

I'd take that along with their one world series championship winner in the modern era of baseball over the current and former mess on the south side. Heck, I'd even pay to watch Paul Knokerko hit into double plays.

hftrex
01-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Interesting:

Carl Everett says that he doesn't believe that there ever were any such things as dinosaurs, yet he played on the same team as Robbie Alomar!

roofshot87
01-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Through the seeming Sox bashing, what happened to being a "slam dunk" to return if Oswaldo was named manager?

DrCrawdad
01-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by roofshot87
Through the seeming Sox bashing, what happened to being a "slam dunk" to return if Oswaldo was named manager?

Take a look at the Robbie and his agent's comments on ChicagoSports.com. Now I know what that Met broadcaster was talking about.

Robbie, don't let the door hit you in the ...