PDA

View Full Version : Sox or Chicago Media Every Read WSI

BeerHandle
01-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Does anyone at the Chicago White Sox or the Chicago Media ever read threads, comments or the articles posted at WSI? I would love to hear what they have to say.

Also, has anyone from WSI been interviewed for any of the papers or been an on-air guest at ESPN 1000 or the Score 670?

Foulke You
01-07-2004, 12:55 PM
I know that Les Grobstein former WSCR and current ESPN 1000 broadcaster posts here frequently. Ron Rappoport from the Chicago Sun-Times mentions WSI frequently and has used Sox Clubhouse poster comments in his articles. I also believe Phil Rogers from the Tribune also checks out this site. I think there is more but those are the ones that come to the top of my head.

npdempse
01-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Does anyone at the Chicago White Sox or the Chicago Media ever read threads, comments or the articles posted at WSI? I would love to her what they have to say.

Check the active thread on schedules to see Grobstein getting salty with the WSI crew.

I wish more folks from baseball front offices would go on boards like they do at Sons of Sam Horn. ANY accountability from JR & crew would be welcome.

BeerHandle
01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
I would enjoy it if Gallas would post about the Sox PR blunders or have a player post something?

Tekijawa
01-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
I wish more folks from baseball front offices would go on boards like they do at Sons of Sam Horn. ANY accountability from JR & crew would be welcome.

If you think that Reiney has enough money to buy a computer and can afford to have an internet connection that would allow him access to this site then you are sadly mistaken. It's common knowleged that Reiney is losing his butt every year with this team and can BARELY afford the team that is on the field now!

If you want to see reiney post here, GO TO THE PARK, give Jerry your money. He wants to win more than any of us here ! ASK HIM! If US the GREEDY Little fan base would just open our wallets a little further we could have the luxuries that REAL Major league baseball teams have!

jabrch
01-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
If you think that Reiney has enough money to buy a computer and can afford to have an internet connection that would allow him access to this site then you are sadly mistaken. It's common knowleged that Reiney is losing his butt every year with this team and can BARELY afford the team that is on the field now!

If you want to see reiney post here, GO TO THE PARK, give Jerry your money. He wants to win more than any of us here ! ASK HIM! If US the GREEDY Little fan base would just open our wallets a little further we could have the luxuries that REAL Major league baseball teams have!

Luxuries like a second baseman? We still don't have one, right?

Iwritecode
01-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I know that Les Grobstein former WSCR and current ESPN 1000 broadcaster posts here frequently. Ron Rappoport from the Chicago Sun-Times mentions WSI frequently and has used Sox Clubhouse poster comments in his articles. I also believe Phil Rogers from the Tribune also checks out this site. I think there is more but those are the ones that come to the top of my head.

Phil Rogers is registered here as progers0826. Joe Cowley from the Daily Southtown? is on here as jcowley21.

We don't have any proof but we're pretty sure Jay Mariotti and Mr. Knue from chicagosports.com (I can't remember his first name for some reason) have also lurked on this site from time to time.

:moron :knue
We have no idea what you are talking about. We have more important things to do than worry about you technogeeks!!!

CLR01
01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Phil Rogers is registered here as progers0826. Joe Cowley from the Daily Southtown? is on here as jcowley21.

We don't have any proof but we're pretty sure Jay Mariotti and Mr. Knue from chicagosports.com (I can't remember his first name for some reason) have also lurked on this site from time to time.

We have no idea what you are talking about. We have more important things to do than worry about you technogeeks!!!

Good ol' George Knue. That brings back memories. There is nothing better than fixing the results of Chicago survivor to kill time in the offseason.

Tekijawa
01-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

:KW

"Willy Harris is a Quality major league Secondbaseman..."

BeerHandle
01-07-2004, 01:45 PM

Will the real Chicago Media Please Stand Up, Please Stand Up.

If they are lurkers, I would love it if they took a step forward and posted stating it is them. This is a great site that has been quietly growing. I call it grass roots.

I do think it is cool that the other Media mentioned above are known users.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
:KW

"Willy Harris is a Quality major league Secondbaseman..."

The question is, could KW look someone in the eye and say that without snickering?

Deadguy
01-07-2004, 01:50 PM

Jay Mariotti is the scum of the Earth. I hope he gets cancer, and dies a slow and painful death (and no, this isn't meant to be in teal), :angry:

npdempse
01-07-2004, 01:55 PM
How could we forget--look at the quote on the front page, upper left!

BeerHandle
01-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Jay Mariotti is the scum of the Earth. I hope he gets cancer, and dies a slow and painful death (and no, this isn't meant to be in teal), :angry:

Isn't that a little harsh? Now, I'm not a fan of Mariotti, but come on. So he does what he is paid to do, which is get fans panties in a bunch. He obviously does this to you!

By the way, what do you mean, "isn't meant to be in teal"? Last time I checked the word "teal" is defined as a short, wild duck.

steff
01-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I've called AM1000 and gotten on the air several times with rants... and got wished Happy Birthday a few times :D:

Dave reads here by the way.

Deadguy
01-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Isn't that a little harsh? Now, I'm not a fan of Mariotti, but come on. So he does what he is paid to do, which is get fans panties in a bunch. He obviously does this to you!

He's the main reason why I cancelled my subscription to the Sun-Times in 1999. Thankfully, I've avoided coming across one of his poorly constructed, self-indulgent, ignorant 1500 to 2000 word piles of garbage that are referred to as his "columns", since then. The idea of coming across one of his posts here is horrifying. He may be paid to rile people up, but all he caused me to do was cancel my subcription to the Times, so in that respect, he failed as a writer, at least with this reader.

By the way, what do you mean, "isn't meant to be in teal"? Last time I checked the word "teal" is defined as a short, wild duck.

Teal is the color of font that is used when a poster is being sarcastic or insincere. I was being sincere.

maurice
01-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Phil Rogers posts once in a blue moon, but it's clear that Rogers, other members of the Chicago media, and Sox employees (possibly including KW) lurk regularly. That's just smart business. Some non-Chicago media types are regular contributors to the site.

It's not unusual for an original idea posted at WSI to find its way into a newspaper column without attribution, to be quoted with attribution, or to be raised in the form of a question at a press conference. For example, the idea of batting CLee second was first raised (and extensively debated) here. A couple of days later, JM was asked about it at a press conference. JM replied that he never thought about it but would consider batting CLee second if Valentin had trouble getting on base (no, he wasn't joking). Couple of months later, CLee is batting second, which (many here have argued) resulted in his career numbers.

The site has been mentioned on the radio numerous times. Dr. Crawdad and Les Grobstein have a running (but relatively friendly) fued, both on this site and on the radio. IIRC, George has been contacted at least once in connection with newspaper articles.

BeerHandle
01-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Teal is the color of font that is used when a poster is being sarcastic or insincere. I was being sincere.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I didn't learn the proper post etiquette about color coding words in Journalism 101 at Drake University.

BeerHandle
01-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Phil Rogers posts once in a blue moon, but it's clear that Rogers, other members of the Chicago media, and Sox employees (possibly including KW) lurk regularly. That's just smart business. Some non-Chicago media types are regular contributors to the site.

It's not unusual for an original idea posted at WSI to find its way into a newspaper column without attribution, to be quoted with attribution, or to be raised in the form of a question at a press conference. For example, the idea of batting CLee second was first raised (and extensively debated) here. A couple of days later, JM was asked about it at a press conference. JM replied that he never thought about it but would consider batting CLee second if Valentin had trouble getting on base (no, he wasn't joking). Couple of months later, CLee is batting second, which (many here have argued) resulted in his career numbers.

The site has been mentioned on the radio numerous times. Dr. Crawdad and Les Grobstein have a running (but relatively friendly) fued, both on this site and on the radio. IIRC, George has been contacted at least once in connection with newspaper articles.

Thanks for the information! Do you know anything about players reading/posting at WSI? I found it amazing that Schilling has posted on the Boston Fan Site.

Hangar18
01-07-2004, 02:26 PM

thats a bit harsh man. but he writes something good every 6months. then writes cubpoganda. the guy has years worth of material over on 35th street if he so chose.......he writes good stuff when it comes to ripping JR

Deadguy
01-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I didn't learn the proper post etiquette about color coding words in Journalism 101 at Drake University.

I believe it's only proper posting etiquette in this forum. I have no idea who originated the idea.

ChiSox14305635
01-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
thats a bit harsh man. but he writes something good every 6months. then writes cubpoganda. the guy has years worth of material over on 35th street if he so chose.......he writes good stuff when it comes to ripping JR

Mariotti really endeared himself to Sox fans when he started calling Frank Thomas "The Big Skirt". Yet you would need the jaws of life to pull his lips out of Sosa's can.

Iwritecode
01-07-2004, 02:50 PM
I believe it's only proper posting etiquette in this forum. I have no idea who originated the idea.

It was kind of a group decision when this site was first created.

It's impossible to tell if someone is being sarcastic by reading words on a screen.

BeerHandle
01-07-2004, 03:06 PM
It was kind of a group decision when this site was first created.

It's impossible to tell if someone is being sarcastic by reading words on a screen.

Thanks for the information. Now, back to the main topic.

Any other sports writers, DJ's or Sox Players ever lurk or post?

Foulke You
01-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Mariotti really endeared himself to Sox fans when he started calling Frank Thomas "The Big Skirt". Yet you would need the jaws of life to pull his lips out of Sosa's can.

He also refers to Frank as "The Big Blurt" and referred to our team in an article as the "Scum Sox" during the 2001 crosstown series at Wrigley. Those comments also don't endear himself to Sox fans.

Of course, when you are Mariotti, you can always backtrack and be your usual "wind sock" self. At the beginning of 2003, he was on the Sox bandwagon and even proclaimed us as Chicago's best fans. But by the time the Cubs made the playoffs, he had proclaimed the Cubs "America's Team" and wrote articles praising the masses of Cubs fans who went to Atlanta.

Anyone can do themselves a favor and just ignore the blowhard known throughout these WSI parts as Moronotti. He just likes to stir up the masses and kiss Sammy's rear end on a regular basis.

KingXerxes
01-07-2004, 03:14 PM
The pride of Niles, Michigan - Ring Lardner - would post here if he were still alive.

Iwritecode
01-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the information. Now, back to the main topic.

Any other sports writers, DJ's or Sox Players ever lurk or post?

I think we covered all the ones we know about.

I'm sure there are a lot of players, writers, etc.. that know about the site and have lurked here before. I wouldn't be surprised if their were people in the Sox organization that get paid to search out sites like this. None have made themselves known though.

ChiSox14305635
01-07-2004, 03:42 PM
He also refers to Frank as "The Big Blurt" and referred to our team in an article as the "Scum Sox" during the 2001 crosstown series at Wrigley. Those comments also don't endear himself to Sox fans.

Don't forget another one of his favorite nicknames for Frank: Baby Huey. I bet if Frank would've confronted him on it, Mariotti would've soiled himself.

Hangar18
01-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Don't forget another one of his favorite nicknames for Frank: Baby Huey. I bet if Frank would've confronted him on it, Mariotti would've soiled himself.

You know Mariotti wouldnt call Frank that to his face.....
He'd Get Beat Down

PS. That Pic of Frank on Deadguys Signature is Excellent....
I need to find a poster like that

miker
01-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
You know Mariotti wouldnt call Frank that to his face.....
He'd Get Beat Down
I'd really like to see that...

ChiSox14305635
01-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by miker
I'd really like to see that...

I'm still holding out hope that Keith Traylor makes his way to the Sun-Times building to sit on him.

BeerHandle
01-07-2004, 04:03 PM

Now that I agree with?

I would love to see if there were any other reporters out there that would post stating they come to WSI for material and to see how the Sox faithful are feeling.

Daver
01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
We have registered members from every Chicago paper,more than one in some cases,as well as a few from the Chicago media,including TV and radio,as well as journalists from out of the area like the East Coast.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2004, 06:18 PM
George Bova the site founder has been interviewed on TV on the radio and quoted in newspaper articles.

Lip

hose
01-07-2004, 06:22 PM

what is ya ignorant or someting? :D:

hose
01-07-2004, 06:27 PM
I believe John Kass is a WSI member.

hsnterprize
01-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Daver
We have registered members from every Chicago paper,more than one in some cases,as well as a few from the Chicago media,including TV and radio,as well as journalists from out of the area like the East Coast. Like me. Hey...Moody Broadcasting Network isn't focused on sports like Sporting News Radio, ESPN Radio, or the Score, but I do report sports. Our audience isn't focused on sports, but they're not naive to them either.

Still, I encourage all of you to either listen to 90.1 FM WMBI if you're here in Chicago, or, check out my station's website. You can find a link in my profile.

And yes...my heart may beling to Jesus, but during the baseball season, I wear the silver and black just like any "saint or sinner" Sox fan!!!!!

nasox
01-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

DUDE, we've got Juan Uribe!

petekat
01-07-2004, 10:23 PM
kass definitely talks about wsi. He's one of my season ticket partners- I'll ask him who else in the media posts here, what their reaction is to some of the posts, and if there are any particular missives that they have enjoyed...

Brian26
01-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Mariotti has ripped me off personally on at least one occassion.

Back in August when the Yankees got Jeff Nelson from Seattle, a story came out that Kenny didn't make a waiver claim on Nelson, even though he had the opportunity.

I made a post talking about how it might be a favor to the Yankees since they helped broker the Colon deal for us instead of having Colon go to the Carmines.

Few days later in the paper, my post was repeated in Mariotti's column almost word-for-word.

Here's my summary post from August:

Wow. That's about the most concrete evidence I've ever seen that Moronotti actually READS WSI. His line about KW not blocking the waiver deal as a favor to the Yankees for helping broker the Colon trade is lifted from my post 3 days ago. Not taking too much credit here, but I was the first person to include that in the Nelson for Benitez thread.

This is what I posted:

Honestly, there would be no point for the Sox to even try to block this trade. First of all, neither team is in our divison. Second, the trade seems pretty straight-up fair. Third, claiming either guy to block the trade is ultimately a move to piss off both teams. The Sox have been buddies with the Yankees for awhile (Reinsdorf and Steinbrenner are on good terms). Don't we owe the Yankees a favor anyway for helping us get Colon this winter? Let's not forget the goodness they displayed in taking Fatsuna and Leif off our hands.

And I followed up with:

Before someone corrects me, I know that Leifer ended up going to Montreal. Just saying the Yanks were kind enough to broker this deal for us to spite the Carmines.

And then Moronotti writes:

Alas, for reasons only he knows, Williams passed. Did he look the other way because he and the Yankees cooperated on a three-way offseason deal that brought Colon to the Sox--and kept him from the Yankees' rivals, the Red Sox? In my dictionary, this would be known as collusion. I understand the importance of keeping a good relationship with a business partner, but in August, all bets are off. The Sox should have a Full Nelson in their half-bullpen.

Come On, Jay!!!! Get some original f'n material. Quit ripping us off.

Last edited by Brian26 on 08-08-2003 at 09:29 AM

ChiSox14305635
01-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Mariotti has ripped me off personally on at least one occassion.

Back in August when the Yankees got Jeff Nelson from Seattle, a story came out that Kenny didn't make a waiver claim on Nelson, even though he had the opportunity.

I made a post talking about how it might be a favor to the Yankees since they helped broker the Colon deal for us instead of having Colon go to the Expos.

Few days later in the paper, my post was repeated in Mariotti's column almost word-for-word.

Here's my summary post from August:

Wow. That's about the most concrete evidence I've ever seen that Moronotti actually READS WSI. His line about KW not blocking the waiver deal as a favor to the Yankees for helping broker the Colon trade is lifted from my post 3 days ago. Not taking too much credit here, but I was the first person to include that in the Nelson for Benitez thread.

This is what I posted:

Honestly, there would be no point for the Sox to even try to block this trade. First of all, neither team is in our divison. Second, the trade seems pretty straight-up fair. Third, claiming either guy to block the trade is ultimately a move to piss off both teams. The Sox have been buddies with the Yankees for awhile (Reinsdorf and Steinbrenner are on good terms). Don't we owe the Yankees a favor anyway for helping us get Colon this winter? Let's not forget the goodness they displayed in taking Fatsuna and Leif off our hands.

And I followed up with:

Before someone corrects me, I know that Leifer ended up going to Montreal. Just saying the Yanks were kind enough to broker this deal for us to spite the Carmines.

And then Moronotti writes:

Alas, for reasons only he knows, Williams passed. Did he look the other way because he and the Yankees cooperated on a three-way offseason deal that brought Colon to the Sox--and kept him from the Yankees' rivals, the Red Sox? In my dictionary, this would be known as collusion. I understand the importance of keeping a good relationship with a business partner, but in August, all bets are off. The Sox should have a Full Nelson in their half-bullpen.

Come On, Jay!!!! Get some original f'n material. Quit ripping us off.

Last edited by Brian26 on 08-08-2003 at 09:29 AM

Originality and Mariotti could never be in the same sentence. Hell might freeze first.

Nick@Nite
01-08-2004, 01:19 AM

grow up

ode to veeck
01-08-2004, 11:00 AM

... or a bona fide lead off man
... or a couple of real good set up men
... or a bona fide closer
... or a reliable 4th or 5th starter
... or a decent CF

jabrch
01-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
... or a bona dide lead off man
... or a decent CF

But like JR says, we can win this division, right?

voodoochile
01-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by petekat
kass definitely talks about wsi. He's one of my season ticket partners- I'll ask him who else in the media posts here, what their reaction is to some of the posts, and if there are any particular missives that they have enjoyed...

You know John Kass? Cool. I don't always agree with him, but I like his style and his passion.

One question that nags me... When you get mad at him, do you call him Jack? :D:

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
... or a bona fide lead off man
... or a decent CF

......Refused to sign Kaz Matsui for Salary Reasons
......Let Sullivan & Gordon walk into Competitors Hands
......Traded Foulke for Salary Reasons
......Refused to sign Kenny Rogers for Salary Reasons
......Refused to sign Kaz Matsui for Salary Reasons

StillMissOzzie
01-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You know John Kass? Cool. I don't always agree with him, but I like his style and his passion.

One question that nags me... When you get mad at him, do you call him Jack? :D:

That's what I always think of when I see his e-mail address at the end of his columns. I think it's jkass@chicagotribune.com

SMO

SluggersAway
01-08-2004, 07:13 PM
The C. Lee move looks like a reason we want more comments making it into the general media...

and,

not harping over questionable intellectual property rights to motives posted to a message board on the internet.

I say welcome professional media assets, let's all make this as enjoyable and profitable an experience as possible.

We are all here for a love of baseball (at least I hope).