PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Mark Cuban about sports owners...


balz1472
01-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Mark Cuban said on Mike & Mike this morning: 'There are owners who it hurts when they lose money and there are owners where it hurts when they lose games. No owner has gotten to where they are without business acumen, but they will never have a good frachise unless it hurts to watch their team lose.' --> note that this is paraphrased because I couldn't type fast enough.

It's really too bad JR won't sell the team to a FAN of the team.

CubKilla
01-07-2004, 11:58 AM
:reinsy

"Like I tell some of my season ticket fanbase..... SHUT UP Mark Cuban! I'd trade all 6 of my NBA Championships for 1 World Series! Now go choke on that Marky while I go polish my 6 rings."

Iwritecode
01-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by balz1472
It's really too bad JR won't sell the team to a FAN of the team.

That's so true. For as much as JR is being a good businessman and making sure him and all his partners aren't losing any money in any given year, he seems to have forgotten what it's like to be a fan.

Soxdude
01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That's so true. For as much as JR is being a good businessman and making sure him and all his partners aren't losing any money in any given year, he seems to have forgotten what it's like to be a fan.
But honestly, does anyone of us that is a HUGE fan of the team having an extra billion laying around? No. Could we have corporate owners? Maybe.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Soxdude
But honestly, does anyone of us that is a HUGE fan of the team having an extra billion laying around? No. Could we have corporate owners? Maybe.

Don't have to be a huge fan of this team, just have the money and interest in MLB. Was Cuban a huge Mavericks fan before he bought the team? I just want to say, don't limit the pool of available candidates.

Soxdude
01-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Don't have to be a huge fan of this team, just have the money and interest in MLB. Was Cuban a huge Mavericks fan before he bought the team? I just want to say, don't limit the pool of available candidates.
We could be the Yankees clones if we got Bill Gates...

WinningUgly!
01-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Don't have to be a huge fan of this team, just have the money and interest in MLB. Was Cuban a huge Mavericks fan before he bought the team? I just want to say, don't limit the pool of available candidates.

We need to start a Mark Cuban - Please buy the White Sox campaign.

SOS-Save Our Sox!

Hokiesox
01-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
We need to start a Mark Cuban - Please buy the White Sox campaign.

SOS-Save Our Sox!

Any chance he likes baseball? C'mon...he's got to have a south side connection somwhere.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-07-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Any chance he likes baseball? C'mon...he's got to have a south side connection somwhere.

He went to Indiana Univ. That is south of Comiskey...

Dadawg_77
01-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Any chance he likes baseball? C'mon...he's got to have a south side connection somwhere.

No, he promised his wife he wouldn't buy another team. Maybe if they get divorce, but then Mark's wealth may get cut in half.

Hokiesox
01-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
No, he promised his wife he wouldn't buy another team. Maybe if they get divorce, but then Mark's wealth may get cut in half.

I promised my wife a whole lot of things...

WinningUgly!
01-07-2004, 01:46 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/cuban.JPG

Hokiesox
01-07-2004, 01:49 PM
nice...

mandmandm
01-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
We need to start a Mark Cuban - Please buy the White Sox campaign.

SOS-Save Our Sox!

Whatever happened to the SOS campaign with the web site? Was that started by any of the regulars here?

Saracen
01-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Email him at mark.cuban@dallasmavs.com - he'd probably get a real kick out of this & responds to emails really well. Nice guy.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-07-2004, 07:05 PM
How cool would that be if he got a deluge of emails from Sox fans asking him to buy the team!!! That would be hilarious, especially if it got to JR somehow.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Cuban has already gooten a ton of e-mails from Sox fans last year. By the way he stated on The Sporting News radio network during an interview that if he were to buy a baseball team it would be the Pirates because that's the team he grew up rooting for.

Lip

SoxFanSince67
01-07-2004, 07:24 PM
I thought he was a huge cubs fan. In fact, didn't make his money with internet radio so he could listen to his beloved cubs?

LongLiveFisk
01-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Soxdude
But honestly, does anyone of us that is a HUGE fan of the team having an extra billion laying around? No. Could we have corporate owners? Maybe.

Maybe the White Sox could be owned by shareholders (you, me, and the rest of the general public who wants to invest in them). Isn't that what the Green Bay Packers are doing? Now that would be interesting. You think we could do any worse than JR?

Daver
01-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Maybe the White Sox could be owned by shareholders (you, me, and the rest of the general public who wants to invest in them). Isn't that what the Green Bay Packers are doing? Now that would be interesting. You think we could do any worse than JR?

The Packers are the only profesional sports franchise that is owned by the fans,per se,there is more to that than meets the eye.

All pro sports leagues now have a directive in it's franchise agreement documentation that clearly disallows this type of ownership,the buying group has to be able to show proof of it's ability to afford the purchase price as well as the maintenance of the franchise.

dougs78
01-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanSince67
I thought he was a huge cubs fan. In fact, didn't make his money with internet radio so he could listen to his beloved cubs?

I don't know if hes a Cubs fan or not, but he and a fellow IU alum created their web broadcasting company while living in Texas so they could listen to Hoosier basketball games. That was of course when the teams actually shot over 30% from the field.

Rocky Soprano
01-08-2004, 10:03 AM
I just e-mailed him:


Mr. Cuban,

I would like to say that you are the kind of owner that every fan wishes their team had. You are a fan first and the owner second.

I have never seen a owner bring so much excitement to a game. It is because of this that your organization will be able to recruit top players and thus bringing more and more fans to the games.

Any chance that you like baseball?

I would like to extend a sincere invitation to you, a group of Chicago White Sox fans would love for you to join us to the White Sox home opener this year. We will treat you to a great time and try to convince you to save our team! Only an owner like you would be able to bring a winning team to our city.

I am part of whitesoxinteractive.com, a forum full of Sox fans that are dying to see our team win.

If you have time, please stop by and check us out. Here is a link to a thread where we are dreaming about convincing you to buy our team.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28053&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=1

Thanks for your time Mr. Cuban.
Good luck with the Mavs, I'm sure that VERY soon we will be seeing you hoisting a NBA championship trophy.

A Mark Cuban fan,

Jesse Perez

jabrch
01-08-2004, 10:16 AM

jabrch
01-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
I just e-mailed him:

Ya know what is most cool about Cuban as an owner? He really is an owner first and a fan second - not vice versa as you said. He makes money with his team. He runs it profitably. He realized that by being fan friendly you can increase you revenues so you have more to spend on building a winning team - which will in turn get you more revenue.

Cuban (and Steinbrenner) is no idiot. He runs a business that makes money - while having a great time. That would be so cool to see him buy the Sox.