PDA

View Full Version : Al López says Rose should be in HOF

Viva Magglio
01-07-2004, 12:27 AM
According to this ESPN.com story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1702004), former White Sox manager believes Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Gee, if only "El Señor" felt the same about Nellie Fox. Yes, I know Fox did not put up the numbers Rose did. But I find it quite interesting that López supports Rose when he singlehandedly kept Fox out of the HOF for so many years.

Paulwny
01-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!

Gee, if only "El Señor" felt the same about Nellie Fox. Yes, I know Fox did not put up the numbers Rose did. But I find it quite interesting that López supports Rose when he singlehandedly kept Fox out of the HOF for so many years.

Yep, I wonder if we'll ever learn Lopez's reasoning when it came to Fox.

idseer
01-07-2004, 10:28 AM
who cares what al lopez thinks?

he also thought billy pierce shouldn't pitch in the '59 world series.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Actually Pierce did pitch in the World Series only it was all in relief. (4 innings in 2 appearances I think.)

Lopez' justification for not starting Billy (and this came from Billy himself) was that he suffered a bad hip injury in August, missed time and didn't pitch well when he came back.

Also Lopez felt that if the Series was going to go 6 or 7 games he needed some of the younger guys to pitch early (like Bob Shaw in game #2) so that they could come back and pitch again later (like Shaw did in game #5)

I have no idea why Lopez pitched Wynn on short rest in game #6.

I'm not justifying it, I'm only passing along some of the reasoning.

Needless to say this hurt Billy a great deal and he mentions it in his interview with me which is in the WSI archives.

Lip

KingXerxes
01-07-2004, 12:56 PM
How old is Al Lopez? He's got to be over 90.

TheRockinMT
01-07-2004, 01:00 PM
At least El Senor got the Sox to the World Series. But, I will say that as a Sox fan from 1959 Nellie Fox was my favorite Sox player.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2004, 07:33 PM
I believe he is approaching 98 years young.

Lip