PDA

View Full Version : Alomar to Dbacks


StepsInSC
01-06-2004, 12:49 PM
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/mlb/sty/*http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-diamondbacksalomarag&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Money figures havn't been disclosed yet, I'm curious to see them though.

Dadawg_77
01-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Wow, they got rid of tony womack to get robbie. Not sure why they are staying in neutral there.

duke of dorwood
01-06-2004, 01:31 PM
We have a way to go to get to neutral

Tekijawa
01-06-2004, 01:41 PM
I'd kill for neutral!

lowesox
01-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Good for Robbie. If you're going to sign for less you might as well do it with a team that stands a chance of winning.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-06-2004, 04:11 PM
1year, $1 million. Wasn't $1 million our final offer? I dont blame him though

munchman33
01-06-2004, 04:17 PM
NO IT WASN'T. We offered one million, and one million deferred. Therefore, he signed for less.

anewman35
01-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
NO IT WASN'T. We offered one million, and one million deferred. Therefore, he signed for less.

Proof that you can't always get a player just because you make the best offer. Or are people here going to blame KW for this, too?

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-06-2004, 04:38 PM
he signed with a different team for less for a reason. The Sox took their original offer off the table and then offered him a $1 mil + $1 mil deffered contract for their final offer. He said it was insulting.

munchman33
01-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
he signed with a different team for less for a reason. The Sox took their original offer off the table and then offered him a $1 mil + $1 mil deffered contract for their final offer. He said it was insulting.

That offer was on the table and Robbie didn't take it. Whose fault was that? Kenny did the right thing and moved on when Robbie wouldn't accept the offer.

Don't be one of those people who try to blame management for everything, even when they're right.

Wanne
01-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I still don't understand this...from the Sox view...or the DBacks. The Sox unload Jr. Spivey supposedly to make room for Matt Kata, say so long to Counsel (mostly $$$). Good move for them I suppose. I thought they already resigned Bearge though. As for the Sox....I can't wait to hear all the bitchin' about how absolutely horsecrap the up the middle defense is by May. Who cares if Alomar hit .225...his defense more than made up for it.

anewman35
01-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
he signed with a different team for less for a reason. The Sox took their original offer off the table and then offered him a $1 mil + $1 mil deffered contract for their final offer. He said it was insulting.

If Robbie had just accepted the original offer, the Sox would have never lowered it. Robbie felt the need to try to get more, and his greed hurt him in the end. Not the Sox fault at all.

anewman35
01-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Of the $1 million, $350,000 is deferred without interest until 2009.

I thought nobody would ever accept a contract with deferred money!

joecrede
01-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Looks like Robbie or his agent misjudged the market. What was the "offer" Williams made back in August, $2.5M?

joecrede
01-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Wanne
I still don't understand this...from the Sox view...or the DBacks. The Sox unload Jr. Spivey supposedly to make room for Matt Kata, say so long to Counsel (mostly $$$). Good move for them I suppose. I thought they already resigned Bearge though. As for the Sox....I can't wait to hear all the bitchin' about how absolutely horsecrap the up the middle defense is by May. Who cares if Alomar hit .225...his defense more than made up for it.

Alomar's defense is largely based on reputation at this point in his career. For whatever Harris won't do better than Alomar, he will have better range.

Tekijawa
01-06-2004, 05:17 PM
So if Alomar is worth A million with money deferred, why are we paying Valentin that $5 Million again?

Lip Man 1
01-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Anewman says:

I thought nobody would ever accept a contract with deferred money!

Incorrect.... (and I know you were being facetious) they take it from teams that have a good reputation with players and their agents and are willing to invest that "saved" money in getting other good players. The Yankees and D'backs have done this thing before and obviously they have won a lot more then the Sox the past ten years.

Lip

pudge
01-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Anewman says:

I thought nobody would ever accept a contract with deferred money!

Incorrect.... (and I know you were being facetious) they take it from teams that have a good reputation with players and their agents and are willing to invest that "saved" money in getting other good players. The Yankees and D'backs have done this thing before and obviously they have won a lot more then the Sox the past ten years.

Lip

Yeah Yeah Lip, but in this case it really is baffling... The Sox have just as much of a chance to win their division (if not more) than the DBacks, plus they just lost Schilling... The Sox were offering about $3 million before, and now he signs for $1?? Considering all that talk about Guillen being Alomar's buddy, I don't really get it, unless it's just a matter of Alomar misjudging his worth.

ma-gaga
01-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
So if Alomar is worth A million with money deferred, why are we paying Valentin that $5 Million again?

Because for some reason, (probably fan pressure) MOST teams pay their own free agents or arbitration eligible players more than the equivalent free agent would cost. It's goofy, but it's how the system typically works. Maybe it's supply and demand. I mean you are seeing it with Magglio Ordonez. He's a fan draw, and he and his agent know it, and are demanding exorbant money. He's not as much of a draw in Boston, nobody really knows there how good he is, they don't get to watch him play every day, so he doesn't have the immediate financial impact that the W.Sox have for losing him.

Who knows, there's probably a ton of other real reasons. Maybe KW was drugged by Valentines' agent. Maybe he has incrimenating pictures...

I guess it has something to do with risk. You already have a pretty good idea of what the guy will do in your park against your divisional opponents.

ma-gaga
01-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I don't get it because Arizona already has Kata and Cintron. They look like two good young players to build around. Maybe it makes sense if R.Alomar goes there as a utility player...

Then again, Maybe the Coangelos' went mad this week.

(nah, I actually like the trade they made in the NBA. F'n Marbury.)

joecrede
01-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
So if Alomar is worth A million with money deferred, why are we paying Valentin that $5 Million again?

Valentin's a better player than Alomar and Rich Aurillia (who Valentin is also better than) got $4M to sign with Seattle.

soxtalker
01-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Because for some reason, (probably fan pressure) MOST teams pay their own free agents or arbitration eligible players more than the equivalent free agent would cost. It's goofy, but it's how the system typically works. Maybe it's supply and demand. I mean you are seeing it with Magglio Ordonez. He's a fan draw, and he and his agent know it, and are demanding exorbant money. He's not as much of a draw in Boston, nobody really knows there how good he is, they don't get to watch him play every day, so he doesn't have the immediate financial impact that the W.Sox have for losing him.

Who knows, there's probably a ton of other real reasons. Maybe KW was drugged by Valentines' agent. Maybe he has incrimenating pictures...

I guess it has something to do with risk. You already have a pretty good idea of what the guy will do in your park against your divisional opponents.

If we didn't sign Valentin when we did, didn't we we'd have to wait for quite awhile to be able to go after him? Even if that wasn't the case, I remember that there was a lot of talk at the time that there was a real lack of SS's on the market. (I'm not really trying to defend the decision -- more explain it.)

joecrede
01-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't really get it, unless it's just a matter of Alomar misjudging his worth.

I think this is the only reason for it.

munchman33
01-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
If we didn't sign Valentin when we did, didn't we we'd have to wait for quite awhile to be able to go after him? Even if that wasn't the case, I remember that there was a lot of talk at the time that there was a real lack of SS's on the market. (I'm not really trying to defend the decision -- more explain it.)

We didn't resign him. We picked up an option. If we hadn't, we'd have to offer him arbitration to keep him. And in arbitration, he'd probably have gotten more.

Brian26
01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
We didn't resign him. We picked up an option. If we hadn't, we'd have to offer him arbitration to keep him. And in arbitration, he'd probably have gotten more.

Likewise, if we would have offered Alomar arbitration, we would have been screwed. Same situation as with Carl Everett. Since these guys took a chance to test the open market by turning down our initial offers, we had no choice but to not offer them arbitration...and now they're making peanuts compared to last year.