PDA

View Full Version : Rafael Palmeiro to Sox?

Viva Magglio
01-06-2004, 12:26 PM
I didn't see it mentioned here previously, so I'll make the initial post regarding speculation that the White Sox are pursuing Rafael Palmeiro. Boers and Bernstein mentioned this a while ago on the Score.

WinningUgly!
01-06-2004, 12:30 PM
It makes sense to me, assuming Konerko is headed out of town. Frank becomes the primary 1B, with Raffy taking over the DH duties.

I hope it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Foulke You
01-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Almost sounds too good to be true. Palmeiro is a fantastic hitter and a sorely needed left handed threat that would fit in nicely with our lineup. As with all things positive associated with the Sox, I'll believe it when it happens.

4thbase
01-06-2004, 12:53 PM
What did Palmeiro make last season? What would he cost us in'04?? I think those would be the real deciding factors, assuming PK was gone.. That,, and management would be smart to consider the general direction of the team. RP's age might be a factor..
productivity per season vs. contract length vs. pricetag.

Deadguy
01-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 4thbase
What did Palmeiro make last season?

9 million.

What would he cost us in'04??

Considering his age, and the fact that we'd sign him to almost exclusively DH, 2-3 million dollars.

jabrch
01-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 4thbase
What did Palmeiro make last season? What would he cost us in'04?? I think those would be the real deciding factors, assuming PK was gone.. That,, and management would be smart to consider the general direction of the team. RP's age might be a factor..
productivity per season vs. contract length vs. pricetag.

Since Raffy seems to be drawing very little interest anywhere, I don't see him being too expensive. He surely won't get what he got last year - the end of a big$ longer term deal. He had a down year last year, but is a productive hitter who can go deep and drive in runs. He'd fit nicely in the 5 spot behind Lee, Frank and Magglio. If we can move PK and use that money to get Raffy AND a SP, I am all for it.

poorme
01-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Logically, the Angels should just sign Palmeiro.

Brian26
01-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I hope it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it.

All I got to say is, I hope Frank keeps his hot-ass girlfriend at home this season.

Deadguy
01-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Logically, the Angels should just sign Palmeiro.

That's why this trade would never happen. Getting rid of Konerko is a pipedream that just won't happen, which is why I wish the media would quit teasing us with these illogical trade scenarios.

4thbase
01-06-2004, 01:12 PM
RP would definately be a good addition IMO, so long as his 'tract is much less than 9M,, 2-3M per sounds good for 2 years..

BeerHandle
01-06-2004, 01:16 PM
The only way that this works is if PK is moved. Although, I would not put it past the Sox to have three 1B/DH players on the team!

Lip Man 1
01-06-2004, 01:26 PM
In the Chicago Tribune today Teddy Greenstein has a story on this possibility but states it's not going to happen because the Sox are not going to be able to trade Konerko.

Further in the Sun-Times today (I think) Ken Williams is quoted directly as saying that the chances are small the Sox will be able to do anything this off season and will go to camp with the team you see here right now. He states that the Sox character (i.e. heart, hustle etc...) is very good and should be enough to keep them in contention.

My personal opinion is that talent usually keeps a team in contention aided by some desire and not the other way around but we'll see.

Lip

Deadguy
01-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He states that the Sox character (i.e. heart, hustle etc...) is very good and should be enough to keep them in contention.

Lip

Yet the Sox are too cheap to get rid of the guy who is the exact opposite of a "grinder", Konerko. Someone who is money driven, lazy, and completely useless.

Iwritecode
01-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He states that the Sox character (i.e. heart, hustle etc...) is very good and should be enough to keep them in contention.

My personal opinion is that talent usually keeps a team in contention aided by some desire and not the other way around but we'll see.

Exactly. I've always said that if all it took were heart and desire we could round up 25 guys from this site and get to the WS every year!!!

The fact that KW has resigned to using this phrase makes me want to :whiner:

Foulke You
01-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Yet the Sox are too cheap to get rid of the guy who is the exact opposite of a "grinder", Konerko. Someone who is money driven, lazy, and completely useless.

You can question Paulie's skill but what are you basing the fact that Konerko is a "money driven, lazy, and completely useless" player? Because he had a bad year last year? Because he is slow? C'mon, be reasonable here. I will agree that Paulie is overpaid and clogs up the basepaths but he is not useless. He is a 30HR 95RBI/yr type hitter excluding last season. That serves a purpose in my mind.

Also, in watching Konerko since he arrived with the Sox, I would say he is one of the few guys who actually looks like he cares when he makes an out. Few people on the Sox save Frank Thomas, are harder on themselves than Paulie when they are struggling.

All that being said, I'd still like to find someone to take his salary from us but if we are stuck with him, it isn't the end of the world and could proove productive for us should Konerko have another 2002 type season.

Deadguy
01-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
You can question Paulie's skill but what are you basing the fact that Konerko is a "money driven, lazy, and completely useless" player?

Based on HillBilly's comment in this thread.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=27648&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

I have no idea if he's telling the truth, but I have no reason to believe he'd make it up

hold2dibber
01-06-2004, 03:47 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=27648&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

I have no idea if he's telling the truth, but I have no reason to believe he'd make it up

Even if you believe that to be true, the information is about 6 or 7 years old. Who knows if it still holds true now.

StillMissOzzie
01-07-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
The only way that this works is if PK is moved. Although, I would not put it past the Sox to have three 1B/DH players on the team!

Why not, they did last year - Frank, Konerko, & Daubach

SMO

hold2dibber
01-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Why not, they did last year - Frank, Konerko, & Daubach

SMO

But Daubach played LF and RF, too. None among PK, Palmiero and Frank will ever play OF, other than in a charity softball game in 2017.

jabrch
01-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Also, in watching Konerko since he arrived with the Sox, I would say he is one of the few guys who actually looks like he cares when he makes an out.

I think it just appears that way because you see him make outs so often :)

CubKilla
01-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Also, in watching Konerko since he arrived with the Sox, I would say he is one of the few guys who actually looks like he cares when he makes an out. Few people on the Sox save Frank Thomas, are harder on themselves than Paulie when they are struggling.

PK's too hard on himself. As slow as he is, he needs to dig from contact..... not hang his head, spike the bat, then begin his trek towards 1B.

Deadguy
01-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But Daubach played LF and RF, too. None among PK, Palmiero and Frank will ever play OF, other than in a charity softball game in 2017.

GIDPK does have some experience in LF. Although I have no desire to see the balding Backstreet Boy roaming around the outfield, nor do I have any desire of seeing him in a White Sox uniform in 2004.

Both the Dodgers and the Reds realized that he couldn't play LF or 3B, which is why they were so quick to get rid of him. Hopefully now the Sox will find a team dumb enough to take him, and Konerko can underachieve for a 4th organization.

CubKilla
01-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I don't know if you could categorize what Daubach did in the OF as "playing". That was tough to watch.

npdempse
01-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I don't know if you could categorize what Daubach did in the OF as "playing". That was tough to watch.

Kind of reminded me of the Seinfeld Steinbrenner quote--"A fat man with little girl legs" when he tried to chase flies.

Foulke You
01-07-2004, 01:09 PM

I'll take "HillBilly" comments with a grain of salt. I've heard plenty of untrue stories that go like:

"back in (insert year here) my cousin played golf with (insert player's name here) and he told me that the guy just absolutely (insert bad thing player did here)."

Maybe it is true, maybe it isn't. I just don't get the lazy vibe from Paulie. I got it from D'angelo Jimenez and Royce Clayton but with Konerko, I'm not seeing it.

Foulke You
01-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I think it just appears that way because you see him make outs so often :)

In 2003, especially in the first half we certainly saw the hanging head of Konerko quite a bit because he racked up the outs like nobody's business. Here's hoping he has another year like '02 because I think we are stuck with him.

soxfan26
01-08-2004, 07:44 AM
From this morning's Baltimore Sun:

Palmeiro close to return as Oriole (http://www.sunspot.net/sports/baseball/bal-orioles0107,0,2974486.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines)

Asked about the Palmeiro negotiations, a top Orioles official said, "You can pretty much bet that deal's going to be made."

In the same article it says the Orioles are the only team that have offered Vlad a five year deal, and they feel like they are 'in the drivers seat'.

The Orioles have a standing five-year, $65 million offer on the table to Guerrero, and though they haven't moved much, there were indications yesterday that Guerrero's camp was softening.

hold2dibber
01-08-2004, 08:54 AM
Both the Dodgers and the Reds realized that he couldn't play LF or 3B, which is why they were so quick to get rid of him. Hopefully now the Sox will find a team dumb enough to take him, and Konerko can underachieve for a 4th organization.

As bad as PK was last year, I think you're being overly harsh here. He was never an everyday player for the Reds or LA. Here are his stats from his first 4 years as a regular (all with the Sox):

'99: 24 HR, 81 RBI, .863 OPS
'00: 21 HR, 97 RBI, .844 OPS
'01: 32 HR, 99 RBI, .856 OPS
'02: 27 HR, 104 RBI, .857 OPS

That's not going to make anybody forget Lou Gehrig, but he was a solid major league hitter and a nice piece in the lineup those years. Last year, he was so far beyond atrocious that the light from atrocious won't reach him for 1,000,000,000,000 years. And he's overpaid, even based on his '99 - '02 numbers. But to say that LA and the Dodgers couldn't wait to get rid of him or to suggest that he's been nothing but lousy for the Sox, simply isn't true.

Brian26
01-08-2004, 09:59 AM
GIDPK does have some experience in LF. Although I have no desire to see the balding Backstreet Boy roaming around the outfield, nor do I have any desire of seeing him in a White Sox uniform in 2004.

Are you sure about that? I know Konerko has some experience playing thirdbase and catcher, but I'm fairly certain that he's never played in the outfield. All of his rookie cards listed him as a catcher/thirdbasemen actually. I don't think I've seen any stats or cards with him listed as an outfielder at all.

anewman35
01-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Are you sure about that? I know Konerko has some experience playing thirdbase and catcher, but I'm fairly certain that he's never played in the outfield. All of his rookie cards listed him as a catcher/thirdbasemen actually. I don't think I've seen any stats or cards with him listed as an outfielder at all.

Per baseball-reference.com, he played 18 games in LF in 98 with CIN and LA, that's his only MLB outfield expierence.

kittle42
01-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Per baseball-reference.com, he played 18 games in LF in 98 with CIN and LA, that's his only MLB outfield expierence.

What the hell were they thinking?

Oh wait, the Sox thought they could put him at third...