PDA

View Full Version : Another Konerko Rumor:

T-Bag
01-06-2004, 11:50 AM
This was posted on CBSsportsline rumor mill by a poster. Anyone else hear Bruce L. say this today?

Bruce Levine of espn radio reported that Whitesox will send Korenko to the Angles for Jarrod Washburn. Than the Whitesox will use the extra money to sign Palmerio. He also mention they are still intersted in signing sidney ponson

CubKilla
01-06-2004, 11:53 AM
That's too good to be true so it won't happen.

rmusacch
01-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by T-Bag
This was posted on CBSsportsline rumor mill by a poster. Anyone else hear Bruce L. say this today?

Bruce Levine of espn radio reported that Whitesox will send Korenko to the Angles for Jarrod Washburn. Than the Whitesox will use the extra money to sign Palmerio. He also mention they are still intersted in signing sidney ponson

I am thinking that there is no way that Anaheim would do this, although they really do need a 1b. Washburn is one of the top lefthanders in the game.

bobj4400
01-06-2004, 12:05 PM

This cant happen. It would actually give me a ray of hope for the upcoming season...

Deadguy
01-06-2004, 12:18 PM

I don't care how they do it, just get Konerko off this team.

All these rumors are just teases. I won't be satisfied till a deal is complete, and I will be very disappointed if he is still on the roster going into Spring Training.

lowesox
01-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
I will be very disappointed if he is still on the roster going into Spring Training.

I think that just getting rid of Konerko would be a stupid move. Especially when I read how other teams are trying to get the Sox to pay for his contract. I'll tell you what if we trade him away for nothing and still pay for some of his contract, he'll have a monster year.

I'm with Kenny (for once) on this one. Keep Konerko. He'll have a better year next year and improve his trade value considerably. This team isn't going to win much this year so we might as well work at raising the value of the players.

hold2dibber
01-06-2004, 01:30 PM

Why the hell would Anaheim do that deal? Wouldn't they be much better off keeping Washburn and signing Palmiero themselves (he's likely to cost much less than the $16 million + owed to Konerko over the next two years)?

Lip Man 1
01-06-2004, 01:34 PM
The Chicago papers today quote Williams directly as saying no moves are coming and the probablity is very good that the team you see now is the team that heads to spring training.

The Sun Times (I think) went so far today in their story as to say any interest in Ponson is dead because they don't have the money. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!)

Lip

wsgdf
01-06-2004, 01:49 PM
The reason the Angels would do it rather than just sign Palmeiro is because they have one too many starting pitchers:

Colon
Escobar
Sele
Ortiz
Washburn
Lackey

They just signed Colon and Escobar, Sele is untradeable because he's owed $8 mil and isn't good, Lackey is still young and inexpensive.

The two guys thay could trade are Ortiz (due $3 mil) and Washburn (arb eligible and probably getting around $6 mil).

Trding Washburn for Konerko adds $2mil in salary this year, but replaces a sixth starter with a 1B who they need to replace Spiezio.

It actually kind of makes sense which is scary.

jabrch
01-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Chicago papers today quote Williams directly as saying no moves are coming and the probablity is very good that the team you see now is the team that heads to spring training.

The Sun Times (I think) went so far today in their story as to say any interest in Ponson is dead because they don't have the money. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!)

Lip

If KW says that at SoxFest, he will get crucified on the podium.

SSN721
01-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by wsgdf
The reason the Angels would do it rather than just sign Palmeiro is because they have one too many starting pitchers:

Colon
Escobar
Sele
Ortiz
Washburn
Lackey

They just signed Colon and Escobar, Sele is untradeable because he's owed $8 mil and isn't good, Lackey is still young and inexpensive.

The two guys thay could trade are Ortiz (due $3 mil) and Washburn (arb eligible and probably getting around $6 mil).

Trding Washburn for Konerko adds $2mil in salary this year, but replaces a sixth starter with a 1B who they need to replace Spiezio.

It may be overly optomistic, but I like the way the deal sounds when you look at it from this angle. An excellent observation and good enough to keep my hopes alive til the "all trades/rumors dead" thread appears on here. :cool:

hold2dibber
01-06-2004, 02:13 PM

Colon
Escobar
Sele
Ortiz
Washburn
Lackey

I completely disagree. It's true that the Angels have a surplus of starters and that they could use a 1B. But that doesn't mean this particular deal would make any sense for them. First of all, Washburn is their no. 2 or 3 starter. If they're looking to dump someone, why him? The only reason would be because he could bring the most in a trade. And Konerko, who was the worst 1B in baseball last year and makes a ton of money, isn't exactly a prize catch. They would have been better off just non-tendering Washburn and signing Palmiero for $5 million per year for 2 years rather than dealing Washburn for the privilege of paying Konerko $8 million per year for 2 years. And I don't believe for a second that the Angels couldn't do better than Konerko in a deal for Washburn.

You state that Sele is untradeable because he is owed $8 million and isn't any good. What does that say about Konerko, who is owed $16 million and isn't any good?

wsgdf
01-06-2004, 02:38 PM
It's true that the Angels have a surplus of starters and that they could use a 1B.

Actually, now that I think about it, Scott Shields started a bunch of games for them last year with a really low ERA, including one particularly dominant game against us - so that makes seven starters.

If they're looking to dump someone, why him? The only reason would be because he could bring the most in a trade.

Because of his salary, his tradeability, and the fact that they're loaded with pitching (remember they've got Santana coming up soon too). It's common knowledge they've been shopping both Washburn and Ortiz all offseason, hoping to move one of them.

And Konerko, who was the worst 1B in baseball last year and makes a ton of money, isn't exactly a prize catch.

Don't forget, Washburn had a bad season last year as well:

Decent WHIP but Garlandesque ERA of 4.43 and record of 10-15.

They would have been better off just non-tendering Washburn and signing Palmiero for $5 million per year for 2 years rather than dealing Washburn for the privilege of paying Konerko $8 million per year for 2 years.

That may be true... but the time when they could have done that has passed.

And I don't believe for a second that the Angels couldn't do better than Konerko in a deal for Washburn.

I have no idea what offers they've gotten for Washburn, but remember Seattle's been shopping Garcia and the Dodgers have been shopping Perez and the only team I've really seen rumored in any of the deals is the White Sox and the Red Sox (which is no longer dealing Nomar as we all know) - so who knows what other teams are willing to do these days.

Anyway, I have yet to see someone verify this actually was said by Bruce Levine so it's probably bunk, but I think it does make some sense.

hold2dibber
01-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Don't forget, Washburn had a bad season last year as well:

Decent WHIP but Garlandesque ERA of 4.43 and record of 10-15.

That's a down year for him, but it doesn't even come close to approaching how horrible Konerko was. Washburn had an ERA+ of 96 last year, just below league average. Konerko had an OPS+ of 85 last year, well below league average - and he's a first baseman, for Pete's sake (so his OPS + includes comparison with SSs, 2Bs, CFs and Cs).

Again, if the Angels want a 1B they can get a better one (e.g., Palmiero) for cheaper than Konerko costs and can keep Washburn (or trade him to fill another hole).

I'd love it if this rumor were true, but I absolutely do not believe it for a second. If the Angels were to take on PK and his lousy contract, I'd be shocked if they didn't require the Sox to take on Sele.

kittle42
01-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Can we makje a new rule that no one is allowed to post rumors from internet boards or chat rooms? :smile:

mac9001
01-06-2004, 04:44 PM
The Angels have been actively shopping Washburn, but i think we can all agree that they could get a lot more than Konerko. Also, they could just as easily sign Palmerio and trade Washburn for prospects.

jabrch
01-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Remember Konerko's 8mm deal has a kicker that makes him cost 9.5mm if he gets traded. For less than that they could sign Pudge as a FA and teach him to play 1B. They could have traded Washburn and prospoects to get Sexson. Etc. etc. etc.

This is nonsense. If KW can do it, he gets should immediately be signed to an extension to his contract.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
If KW says that at SoxFest, he will get crucified on the podium.

if kw is wise, he wont show up at soxfest because of the dismal offseason. i know the offseason and kw/jr are the reason i wont be at soxfest this year.

TheRockinMT
01-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Novel idea. Let's keep who we have now and go for it. I am frustrated by the fact we have made no moves and let all of our free agenst go, but I don't want to trade Paul, Maggs, Lee, et al, just to say we did.

misty60481
01-06-2004, 09:09 PM
look at fielding stats for 03 Konerko was .998 tied with Travis Lee & Olerud for tops he had about 300 less total chances but still had 972 total chances with only 2 errors, Lee & Olerud both played about 25 for Lee And 35 for Olerud more games so they compare.

jordan23ventura
01-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Can we makje a new rule that no one is allowed to post rumors from internet boards or chat rooms? :smile:

Why? Cheap rumors from message boards and the like are what keeps people coming here. Even if we know some of them are total BS, they still spark discussion and occasionally get our hopes up - albeit for nothing, but we're Sox fans. We're used to being let down.

mac9001
01-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Remember Konerko's 8mm deal has a kicker that makes him cost 9.5mm if he gets traded. For less than that they could sign Pudge as a FA and teach him to play 1B. They could have traded Washburn and prospoects to get Sexson. Etc. etc. etc.

This is nonsense. If KW can do it, he gets should immediately be signed to an extension to his contract.

Actually, the trade kicker is only $.5M

After trade kicker:

2004: $8.5M
2005: $9.25M

StillMissOzzie
01-07-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Can we make a new rule that no one is allowed to post rumors from internet boards or chat rooms? :smile:

Hey, it's not like we have any REAL trades or FA signings to talk about!

SMO
:gulp:

Iwritecode
01-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
if kw is wise, he wont show up at soxfest because of the dismal offseason. i know the offseason and kw/jr are the reason i wont be at soxfest this year.

That should be one of the reasons you do go. At least there when you complain you can do it directly to their faces and know that you are being heard...