PDA

View Full Version : Prepare To Be Amazed 7,000 Sox Photos!

Lip Man 1
01-06-2004, 03:33 AM
This site is still under construction but my friend Leo Bauby (a big Sox fan) is in the process of loading what looks like will be 7,000 photos of sox players from the 50's through today.

Here is the site address:

http://www.chicago-baseball-photos.com/contact.htm

You might want to bookmark it and check back regularly.

Leo somehow got a large quantity of Sox photos taken by the official White Sox photographer from the 60's and 70's and is posting them for all Sox fans to enjoy.

When the main page comes up read the intro which will explain what he is trying to do and how you can help with your baseball memories.

Click on the slideshow and get ready to be amazed. Apparently the slides / photos are shown in alphabetical order. The first ones are of Cy Acosta. I also recognized Jerry Adair, Tommy Agee and of course what looks like 40 photos of Dick Allen.

Again the site doesn't look like it's finished so be patient. Happy viewing!

Lip

SpringfldFan
01-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Wow!

soxfan26
01-06-2004, 09:48 AM
bravo!

Procol Harum
01-06-2004, 10:46 AM
This is a beautiful thing--a lot of memories brought back as I was flipping through. Hope he's planning to identify everybody and provide some sort of search engine function.

washington
01-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I also recognized Jerry Adair.

Looks like a great site. And I'm impressed that you can recognize Jerry Adair!

idseer
01-06-2004, 10:52 AM
neat idea, but .... the quality isn't very good and some pictures are stretched or distorted. perhaps over time these problems will be fixed.

also every single picture has light printing across it (CHICAGO BASEBALL PHOTOS). what's up with that?

Lip Man 1
01-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Here is Leo's reply (he's the guy who started the site) which should answer some of your questions:

"This site has a loonnnggg way to go before it is finished the way I want it. There will be an icon to hit for every picture (gallery or slideshow) if a person wants to submit a memory. All memories will come to my email account so that I do not have people posting stuff I can get sued over (I'm sure it would happen).

To look at the names of all the players under 'A' right now you'd need to strike that letter of the 'gallery'. Name identifiers will be in place for the slide show as well.

It is my hope that every day things change the way I want them to. My photos are 100% better than what the scans appear. Part of this is by design to discourage hackers from stealing the images and part is due to the current configuration of the site. It will be a fine line between making the photos 'good enough' and I do not feel they are at this point."

Lip

Medford Bobby
01-06-2004, 02:40 PM
:) fantastic site........looking forward to it's completion!! Something fun to look at on a cold winter's day!! :smile:

:reinsy "Good lord look at the clarity of the Jaime Navarro and Todd Rithchie photos.........breathtaking!"

HITMEN OF 77
01-06-2004, 03:08 PM
This will be a great site and Leo is a great guy. I have bought photo's from him and he knows his stuff. Some of my Sox photo's will also be on his site, I think some of my Pete Ward wire photo's and a few Eddie Stanky wire photo's as well.

Daver
01-06-2004, 06:01 PM
When his site is a more finished project we will be adding it to the links section on the main page.

michned
01-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Seeing Dick Allen in a purple liesure suit make this a must-see site just for those photos!

HITMEN OF 77
01-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by idseer
neat idea, but .... the quality isn't very good and some pictures are stretched or distorted. perhaps over time these problems will be fixed.

also every single picture has light printing across it (CHICAGO BASEBALL PHOTOS). what's up with that?

This prevents someone from copying the picture and reusing it or making copies and selling it. "Copyright" pretty much. That was a must do and glad Leo did that. I know I wouldn't want my photo's that are going to be on the site copied or sold in any shape or form.

nixsox
01-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Leo is a good friend of mine. All of his stuff is awesome. He has more sox memorabilia then the club does themselves. He is a great guy to talk to and if you have any questions about the Sox he is the guy to go to. I can't wait to see the site when it is finished. :)

Brian26
01-06-2004, 10:13 PM
I've seen some of those old AP photos on Ebay. Very cool stuff...would love to get some of those framed (ie the Fox/Aparacio '59 World Series photo where they are turning the double play in LA). They go for big money on Ebay.

Brian26
01-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Can anyone explain the rationale behind having artifical turf in the infield with natural grass in the outfield? God that looked stupid.

HITMEN OF 77
01-07-2004, 01:07 AM
This is what I've heard, IMO. The grass use to slow down balls in the infield, when we had good pitching that was a major aid in helping keep the era's and runs scored low i.e. Horlen, Peters, John and many before the 60's as well. We didn't have power then either, so the Sox won a lot of 2-1, 3-2 games. Once the pitching started to fall apart and those guys were traded, the turf was put in for the new "Sox trade for speed" idealism of the early 70's which would help ground balls become base hits on the fast turf. That's the jist of it....

HITMEN OF 77
01-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Forgot to add, the turf looked terrible in my opinion. But I 've only seen photo's of it, didn't have the pleasure of seeing it in person.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2004, 02:51 AM
I did and even when it was new in 69 or 70 (?) it looked flat as a pancake and had an ugly sickly lime green color to it not the rich dark green that you see today.

After a few years it was even worse thanks to the wear and tear on it.

Also I think part of the reason it was installed was because the Sox felt that they could save some money by not having to maintain it as much as a natural grass field. the sox were almost bankrupt in those days and were looking to save every penny they could.

Much like today I guess.....
Lip

Medford Bobby
01-07-2004, 03:10 AM
:smile: I still have some of that turf when the Sox gave it away back in early 1976. I need to download photos of the event to the Gallery.............Does the Sox have any of this turf in the Cell's ballpark museum?? Or is this "forgotten" history already???? :whiner:

:reinsy "Boy I can imagine the Bossards sat on their ass's alot when they had that infield turf"

StillMissOzzie
01-07-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by michned
Seeing Dick Allen in a purple liesure suit make this a must-see site just for those photos!

Yes, and check out that log of a bat he was swinging, too.

SMO

soxphotos
01-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi, guys first post on this board. I'm the guy with the White Sox photo website. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated as right now we are going through testing stages. I'm trying to make the thing as user-friendly as possible, so there is a fine line between great-looking scans and speed (for someone w/ a slow dial-up connection).

At this point too many of the photos look like horse$#%% so I am going to improve the photo quality. This will mean the time it takes to view apparticular (using the slowest dial-up) will be 10-15 seconds. Also many of the photos which are distorted will be fixed. Little things like placement and clarity of icons will be improved.

I really hope a lot of people will submit memories of players/events so they can be posted w/ the photos. Hopefully former players provide anecdotes as well. Letters will go out to many former players of this era in hopes they will visit and share memories (and perhaps old photo images they may have).

As far as the artificial grass, eventually a short video clip will be added showing the Sox give chunks of it to fans days before opening day in 1976. I have always heard that besides saving money, Art Allyn figured he would be 'cutting edge' to be the first AL team to install artificial turf. Various Sox players advertised for this Monsanto product in full-page advertisements in 1969 Sporting News'.

Glad to be part of this site! Leo