PDA

View Full Version : Konerko to Dodgers for prospects - rumor

munchman33
01-05-2004, 09:21 PM
It has been reported by both the Score and Fox Sports Net Chicago that the White Sox are very close to sending Paul Konerko to the Dodgers for prospects. Those prospects are thought not to be top rated. The idea behind this move is that it brings the Sox enough money to sign Sidney Ponson.

soxfan26
01-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
It has been reported by both the Score and Fox Sports Net Chicago that the White Sox are very close to sending Paul Konerko to the Dodgers for prospects. Those prospects are thought not to be top rated. The idea behind this move is that it brings the Sox enough money to sign Sidney Ponson.

I'm all for sending PK to LA. If we can get them to pick up the entire $16+m we owe him over the next two years, then it is a good salary dumping move. Hopefully they are decent prospects at least and not career minor leaguers. Anyone hear any word on who we get in the deal?

I'll believe the Ponson rumors when he is holding a Sox jersey next to KW.

soxwon
01-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I HEARD IT WAS REPORTED IN THE southtown that PK to LA for Odalis perez and a prospect, then we will sign PONSON

Iguana775
01-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
I HEARD IT WAS REPORTED IN THE southtown that PK to LA for Odalis perez and a prospect, then we will sign PONSON

wow...if that actually happened, i'll crap my pants.

OEO Magglio
01-05-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't think that is really possible, cause odalis makes around 4 million less then pk that would put the sox right at reinsdorf's budget i dont think they'd be able to sign sidney then.

Lip Man 1
01-06-2004, 02:16 AM
For what it's worth, this is from a story posted tonight on the Tribune web site by Sox beat writer Teddy Greenstein:

"But those calls are unlikely to lead to a deal, certainly not a major one. Rumors surfaced over the weekend that the Sox were close to sending Paul Konerko to the Dodgers, but both sides disputed that and doubt it will happen.

The major issue is money. The Dodgers won't take Konerko unless the Sox pick up a sizable amount of the $16.75 million he's due over the next two seasons. And the Dodgers have no desire to give up lefty Odalis Perez , 26, a clubhouse nuisance who nonetheless is young, left-handed and 27-22 over the last two seasons.

Sources say the Dodgers would part with right-hander Jeff Weaver. But Weaver is due $15.5 million over the next two years, and the Sox would insist that the Dodgers pick up enough salary to allow them to acquire a replacement for Konerko, namely Rafael Palmeiro.

Palmeiro, 39, hit just .260 for Texas last season but still cranked 38 homers and drove in 112 runs."

At this point it appears the Sox complete disassociation with anything regarding the baseball off season is going to continue. The stasis appears on going.

Lip

jabrch
01-06-2004, 03:01 AM
If we were able to move PK and add Palmeiro and either Weaver or Ponson, I'd think we would be better off than we were today. I know Palmeiro had an off year, but he still was productive. He couldn't be worse than PK.

StillMissOzzie
01-06-2004, 03:09 AM
From the same Teddy G article cited by Lip:

He said it was his first one in six years. But Williams was so restless on his Caribbean cruise, he checked the Internet every day to keep up on e-mail, baseball news and trade rumors.

"That was the most fun part of the trip," he said. "I also returned some calls at about $10 a minute."

:KW

"But on wasn't on WSI, boss...honest!"

:reinsy

"About this $200 phone bill, Ken - This will have to stop NOW"

hold2dibber
01-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth, this is from a story posted tonight on the Tribune web site by Sox beat writer Teddy Greenstein:

"But those calls are unlikely to lead to a deal, certainly not a major one. Rumors surfaced over the weekend that the Sox were close to sending Paul Konerko to the Dodgers, but both sides disputed that and doubt it will happen.

The major issue is money. The Dodgers won't take Konerko unless the Sox pick up a sizable amount of the $16.75 million he's due over the next two seasons. And the Dodgers have no desire to give up lefty Odalis Perez , 26, a clubhouse nuisance who nonetheless is young, left-handed and 27-22 over the last two seasons.

Sources say the Dodgers would part with right-hander Jeff Weaver. But Weaver is due $15.5 million over the next two years, and the Sox would insist that the Dodgers pick up enough salary to allow them to acquire a replacement for Konerko, namely Rafael Palmeiro.

Palmeiro, 39, hit just .260 for Texas last season but still cranked 38 homers and drove in 112 runs."

At this point it appears the Sox complete disassociation with anything regarding the baseball off season is going to continue. The stasis appears on going.

Lip

Even if the Dodgers wouldn't throw in $, I'd do Konerko for Weaver straight up, if I were KW. I think the Sox need pitching even worse than they need hitting. I'd grab Weaver and pick up a bargain basement FA to take PK's place (like McGriff or Fick or Karros or someone - all of whom were better than PK last year).

Dadawg_77
01-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Even if the Dodgers wouldn't throw in $, I'd do Konerko for Weaver straight up, if I were KW. I think the Sox need pitching even worse than they need hitting. I'd grab Weaver and pick up a bargain basement FA to take PK's place (like McGriff or Fick or Karros or someone - all of whom were better than PK last year).

I wouldn't touch those guys. The thing here is Kenny is trapping himself in a box again. Why do have to replace Konkerko with a FA 1B? Don't we already have a HOF first baseman on the team?

Frater Perdurabo
01-06-2004, 08:49 AM

I too would do Konerko for Weaver straight up.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'd put Frank at 1B four games per week, (DH-ing two to three times per week), and rotate the other four games per week at DH between Maggs, Valentin, Lee and Borchard/Reed. Borchard and Reed (assuming they perform well in Spring Training) also can share the CF duties and back up Maggs and Lee when they DH.

soxfan26
01-06-2004, 09:05 AM

I agree with the idea that we need pitching more than hitting. I would deal PK for Weaver in a second, But in JR's budget plan that means a small savings of $1.75m for next season, and if he would allow KW to spend that money it needs to address the rotation, even though I think Fick would be a great pickup, a left handed bat!

Originally posted by Dadawg_77

I wouldn't touch those guys. The thing here is Kenny is trapping himself in a box again. Why do have to replace Konkerko with a FA 1B? Don't we already have a HOF first baseman on the team?

They should definately hunt for a bargain, and say pay no more than $1m.

KingXerxes
01-06-2004, 09:25 AM
With the Mets signing Looper, it looks as though we're stuck with Koch for the season. Given that, the White Sox should unload Konerko for any prospects (even marginal ones) as long as they don't have to pick up any of his salary. Do not take Weaver in exchange - he stinks. Then go out and sign Randall Simon (appx. $2mm) and platoon him with Thomas at first. Use the savings to shore up the pitching. They need a lefthanded hitter who can consistently put the ball in play, and I think Simon would become somewhat of a fan favorite at Comiskey. At this point that's about the best they can do IMHO.

jeremyb1
01-06-2004, 09:50 AM

I like that idea too but I'm not sure I could pull the trigger. The problem is that if we pulled that deal we'd still be over budget so presumably we wouldn't have even a million to sign a replacement for Paully. I can't really handle the idea of marching Gload out there and as big of a fan as I am, there's no guarantee Reed is ready.

duke of dorwood
01-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Poo on the budget and this trade. Nothing, including the great Sidney Ponson, excites me about it. We have a lack of offense, folks.

I told you-no cruises unless its on the Wendella

hold2dibber
01-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I like that idea too but I'm not sure I could pull the trigger. The problem is that if we pulled that deal we'd still be over budget so presumably we wouldn't have even a million to sign a replacement for Paully. I can't really handle the idea of marching Gload out there and as big of a fan as I am, there's no guarantee Reed is ready.

All true. But even if they couldn't sign a replacement for PK, I'd go with Frater Perdurabo's idea of rotating guys currently in the organization at DH (Jose, Maggs, Lee, Borchard, Reed, etc.). Based on the Sox needs, I'd rather have Weaver than Konerko at this point.

CubKilla
01-06-2004, 10:02 AM

Konerko for Weaver won't happen because it wouldn't allow the White Sox the salary dump they are so ruthlessly searching for. And just say no to Fick.

I like the idea King Xerxes had of getting a LH bat that can put the ball in play in Randall Simon as a PK replacement if the White Sox can deal Konerko. Simon should fit right in with Ozzie Guillen's "swing at anything" philosophy as a player.

hold2dibber
01-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Konerko for Weaver won't happen because it wouldn't allow the White Sox the salary dump they are so ruthlessly searching for. And just say no to Fick.

But they're not going to be able to dump PK's salary. It's just not plausible. Why would anyone take on the $16 million left on his contract when you could have Palmiero or McGriff or Fick or Simon for way, way, way less (and all of those guys were way better than PK last year)? The only way to move PK is to take on someone else's bad contract. Hence, the Weaver rumor.

voodoochile
01-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Yep and the Sox could sign a cheap DH/1B (backup) for a lot less money. If this happens it would have been nice to have Daubach back...

Tragg
01-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Poo on the budget and this trade. Nothing, including the great Sidney Ponson, excites me about it. We have a lack of offense, folks.

I told you-no cruises unless its on the Wendella
We do, but not for lack of power- more like lack of table-setters
Hell, we have good power at SS