PDA

View Full Version : Maddux Signing

soxwon
01-05-2004, 09:11 PM
its been speculated greg maddux has signed with
THE CUBS- damn it, why cant the sox get him?
i am so sick of the cubs,
this was reported in aols mlb rumours section through a post- i dont know how true it is, but if it is WE ARE REALLY SCREWED.
speculation also is VLAD GUERRERO wont sign till mid january.
WHY NOT US? we can make room for him, cmon guys.

Blueprint1
01-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Well it would be a good pickup for the Cubs if it is ture. If its for four years at 11million per season I dont know how great it will be two years from now.

Brian26
01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
THE CUBS

For the love of god, please tell me this isn't true. Geezus.

soxwon
01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
IF ITS TRUE- THE sox WONT WIN A GAME OR EVEN SCORE A RUN VERSUS THE cubs,
WOOD-PRIOR-MADDUX OH MY GOD

Brian26
01-05-2004, 09:20 PM

Caps Lock Key, bro. It's your friend. Learn to use it.

munchman33
01-05-2004, 09:25 PM
this was reported in aols mlb rumours section through a post- i dont know how true it is, but if it is WE ARE REALLY SCREWED.

I wouldn't believe anything I read on an AOL board.

DrCrawdad
01-05-2004, 09:49 PM

There has been speculation of this for what seems like months now. So far at least it's just speculation on the part of Cubbie fans.

anewman35
01-05-2004, 09:49 PM

That's so true! Wood, Prior, and Maddux never lose games! Look at the 2003 playoffs!

mike squires
01-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Guys, we are talking about the Cubs here!!! They won't win nothin. Yes, their making some noise this off season but relax. You gotta remember they have all of their games on WGN (tons of dollars there) the Tribune owns them and that minor league ballpark call a stadium has got to be paid off by now. They've got some money to throw around unlike us. They can have Maddux. Go ahead, lock them up for 4 yers. They'll pay in the long run.

chisox06
01-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Guys, we are talking about the Cubs here!!! They won't win nothin. Yes, their making some noise this off season but relax. You gotta remember they have all of their games on WGN (tons of dollars there) the Tribune owns them and that minor league ballpark call a stadium has got to be paid off by now. They've got some money to throw around unlike us. They can have Maddux. Go ahead, lock them up for 4 yers. They'll pay in the long run.

Exactly, besides I thought this was a sox forum. 2004 Chicago Cubs "who cares"

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Yes, it may be unbearable as white sox fans but I don't really care who they have other than the 6 games we play them in the regular season.(And if the White Sox made it to the World Series and were to play the Cubs )

fquaye149
01-06-2004, 02:10 AM
i hope this is true. here's why:

it would just be further testament to the moronitude of the cubs organization:

they get rid of maddux when he cost the least and had most potential/ability and pick him back up when his price is maxed out and his ability is on the sharp decline.

almost as laughable a signing as derek lee

hsnterprize
01-06-2004, 06:59 AM
WHY NOT US? we can make room for him, cmon guys. Here's a tip I learned from a veteran radio news reporter...if your mother tells you she loves you...check your sources. Make sure whenever you see something like this, have good sources. A message board isn't always a good source for information. There's NOTHING mentioned about any deal bringing Greg Maddux to the Cubs on either their website or MLB.com.

Look...we're all weary in begging Sox management to do something to make our team better. However, when a whimsical signing rumor pops up on the net, check it out before positng it here. I don't mean to appear to attack you or anything, and I'm sorry if it looks that way. However, there's no reason to cause panic unless there's a legitimate reason to cause it.

CLR01
01-06-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Here's a tip I learned from a veteran radio news reporter...if your mother tells you she loves you...check your sources. Make sure whenever you see something like this, have good sources. A message board isn't always a good source for information. There's NOTHING mentioned about any deal bringing Greg Maddux to the Cubs on either their website or MLB.com.

Look...we're all weary in begging Sox management to do something to make our team better. However, when a whimsical signing rumor pops up on the net, check it out before positng it here. I don't mean to appear to attack you or anything, and I'm sorry if it looks that way. However, there's no reason to cause panic unless there's a legitimate reason to cause it.

You mean AOL is not a reliable source for baseball rumors? They have to be, they are owned by Time Warner who owns the Braves. Surely they would know the Cubs signed him.

Iwritecode
01-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
That's so true! Wood, Prior, and Maddux never lose games! Look at the 2003 playoffs!

Playoffs? Hell, look at the regular season. There was only one team that beat Prior and Wood back-to-back last year.

Can you guess which one it was?

I'll give you three and the first two don't count... :D:

CubKilla
01-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Playoffs? Hell, look at the regular season. There was only one team that beat Prior and Wood back-to-back last year.

Can you guess which one it was?

I'll give you three and the first two don't count... :D:

Actually..... no team beat Wood and Prior consecutively last season until the Marlins did it in the NLCS. The Sox were the last team to do it..... in '02.

Iwritecode
01-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Actually..... no team beat Wood and Prior consecutively last season until the Marlins did it in the NLCS. The Sox were the last team to do it..... in '02.

Oops... I was a year off. It's still nice to say it though...

CubKilla
01-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Oops... I was a year off. It's still nice to say it though...

This is true. Was entirely too ecstatic when Brenneman made this mention during about the 8th inning of Game 7 of the NLCS..... the only mention of the White Sox during CubGate.

Northside fan
01-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149

almost as laughable a signing as derek lee [/B]

Please tell me how trading for a gold glove first baseman who will produce .275/30/100 is laughable..

CubKilla
01-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Please tell me how trading for a gold glove first baseman who will produce .275/30/100 is laughable..

He may overtake ShamME as the teams K-leader for one. But I liked the move..... don't get me wrong.

washington
01-06-2004, 11:31 AM
The only rumors I've heard have Maddux signing with San Diego

doogiec
01-06-2004, 11:46 AM
If the Cubs were even pursuing Maddux seriously the Tribune media machine would be hyping the "Second Coming" day after day. I haven't heard a peep.

Foulke You
01-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by doogiec
If the Cubs were even pursuing Maddux seriously the Tribune media machine would be hyping the "Second Coming" day after day. I haven't heard a peep.

Exactly! The Cubs media war machine would be in full throttle if Maddux was close to signing. They wouldn't be able to contain their giddiness. Pete Rose would not have been on the sports cover of the Sun-Times today if the Cubs were "close" to signing Maddux.

fquaye149
01-06-2004, 01:01 PM

a.) gold glove 1b's are overrated....not to downplay 1b defense, as i was one myself...but how much will that honestly help a team?

b.) 1b was not a cubs weakness last year...i would be comfortable with eric karros...especially with the huge amount of money they're paying

c.) he won't hit .275/30/100

petekat
01-06-2004, 01:21 PM
first of all the rumor appeared on a message board, and an AOL message board at that (viewed as very low on the food chain). has nothing to do with editorial content of AOL- and even content provided by AOL has nothing to do with Time-Warner mgmt, and the Atlanta Braves. These are all distinct entities.

re: Lee, agree with the post that it was a bad pickup. IB was capable. If you're managing resources (every team but the Bosox-Yankees), you use $$$ to fill holes, and try to get value (productive players who are pre arbitration).

They had a capable 1b plattoon last year- and a young Choi -Lee an upgrade, but with Choi's upside - the deal look foolish in a few years. Chubs could have been paying Choi 2-3 mill a year instaed of the 7-8 mill that will be due Lee. Cubs would have better off trading for a Middle IF- now they're stuck with Grudzie and Walker ha ha, no range, and two whiff machines at the corners.

Kenny has shown the ability to be resourceful. Too bad he didnt have some of the Trib Co's $$$ :(:

Northside fan
01-06-2004, 01:27 PM
a.) gold glove 1b's are overrated....not to downplay 1b defense, as i was one myself...but how much will that honestly help a team?

b.) 1b was not a cubs weakness last year...i would be comfortable with eric karros...especially with the huge amount of money they're paying

c.) he won't hit .275/30/100

In response to points a and c, you're kidding, right? Lee is EASILY one of the top 5 1st baseman in all of baseball. The guy is 28 years old and he can run the bases better then most leadoff hitters. Again, you must be kidding.

fquaye149
01-06-2004, 02:00 PM
In response to points a and c, you're kidding, right? Lee is EASILY one of the top 5 1st baseman in all of baseball. The guy is 28 years old and he can run the bases better then most leadoff hitters. Again, you must be kidding.

why am i kidding? running the bases is well and good...but that's not a necessity...are they going to bat him leadoff or 2nd with your alleged power numbers? i doubt it...so he's going to be stuck behind sosa and alou anyway

and why do you assume a .275/30/100? his best year (last year) was .271/31/92...not exactly .275/30/100...so you're hoping for the best a la paul konerko...

all i'm saying is it's a stupid signing...he's not enough of an improvement over karros or choi to justify the huge salary hit that might prevent them from signing i-rod - an actual need(paul bako? come on!)

hold2dibber
01-06-2004, 02:06 PM
and why do you assume a .275/30/100? his best year (last year) was .271/31/92...not exactly .275/30/100...so you're hoping for the best a la paul konerko...

But he played in a park that is brutal for left handed hitters last year. I'd be shocked if Lee hit less than 30 HRs next year.

Northside fan
01-06-2004, 02:09 PM
why am i kidding? running the bases is well and good...but that's not a necessity...are they going to bat him leadoff or 2nd with your alleged power numbers? i doubt it...so he's going to be stuck behind sosa and alou anyway

all i'm saying is it's a stupid signing...he's not enough of an improvement over karros or choi to justify the huge salary hit that might prevent them from signing i-rod - an actual need(paul bako? come on!)

Running the bases is not a necessity? Can you say D'Angelo Jiminez?

He put up those career numbers at Pro Player, which is a huge park. You don't think he will eclipse those numbers at Wrigley? Konerko and Lee should not be mentioned in the same sentence. There is no comparison.

Bako is a back-up, not a starter.

DrCrawdad
01-06-2004, 02:17 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/Cubs_Misfortune.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/Cubs_Suck.gif

Northside fan
01-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/Cubs_Misfortune.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/Cubs_Suck.gif

C'mom crawdad, don't be a hater. I have been respectful to all of you and will continue to do so. Is there any need for that?

DrCrawdad
01-06-2004, 02:48 PM
C'mom crawdad, don't be a hater. I have been respectful to all of you and will continue to do so. Is there any need for that?

It's not personal. I don't hate you. Don't even really know you.

Just when you post here pushing the Cubbies as all that it's not going to endear yourself to many here (except for VIC and Les).

Funny thing is that Sox fans get attacked routinely in Cub fan sites. If you tried posting something in defense of the Sox on the Cubs MLB site or the Cubs newsgroup you'd be attacked, and not in the way I did, but you'd be PERSONALLY attacked.

Dadawg_77
01-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Derek Lee OPS+ 135 last year.
Millar +110
Sexson +136
Bagwell 127
Choi 101
Karros 109
Thome 151
Simon 92
Helton 168
Thomas 149
Konerko 85
Snow 112
Delgado 160
Giambi 151
Johnson 141.

Derek Lee is a good solid player, not an elite 1B. OPS+ is adjusted for park and league conditions. Hitting the age of 28 will likely mean Dereck has plateaued and his production will decline during his tenure with the Cubs. Especially since his strongest suit is his speed, Derek did lead in the NL in power speed number last year, and speed tends to go earlier then other skills. He isn't the missing piece the Cubs need to reach the next level.

Northside fan
01-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
It's not personal. I don't hate you. Don't even really know you.

Just when you post here pushing the Cubbies as all that it's not going to endear yourself to many here (except for VIC and Les).

Funny thing is that Sox fans get attacked routinely in Cub fan sites. If you tried posting something in defense of the Sox on the Cubs MLB site or the Cubs newsgroup you'd be attacked, and not in the way I did, but you'd be PERSONALLY attacked.

I assure you I will not PUSH the Cubs on here. I just jumped in on a topic that concerned Maddux. You will never see me start a thread about the Cubs on this site. I am a Cubs fan, yes. But I'm also a fan of the game and have no problem talking baseball in general. If you have been attacked on other boards for simply talking baseball, then they are out of line.

DrCrawdad
01-06-2004, 03:39 PM
I assure you I will not PUSH the Cubs on here. I just jumped in on a topic that concerned Maddux. You will never see me start a thread about the Cubs on this site. I am a Cubs fan, yes. But I'm also a fan of the game and have no problem talking baseball in general. If you have been attacked on other boards for simply talking baseball, then they are out of line.

Not that you need my welcome, but I welcome your input here. However when you talk baseball it's certainly not without bias. When your comments defend or push the Cubs and then also put-down the Sox don't be shocked by a negative response.

The bottom line here is that Hendry is smooth and Williams is a idiot. Just ask Billy Beane. - Northside fan