http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2004/0105/1701174.html

Died of brain cancer at age 59.

hose
01-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Sad to hear.

RIP Tug

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-05-2004, 10:47 PM
That's sad to hear. I remember reading about him recovering from it during the summer.

RIP :(:

oheeoh...magglio
01-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Awful news.

RIP Tug.

TornLabrum
01-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Sad to hear that. Somebody picked McGraw in the "dead poll" on Mac, Jurko, and Harry today. I wonder if they'll figure out now how tasteless that bit is. I hope the guy chokes on whatever prizes he won.

RIP Tug.

Brian26
01-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I wonder if they'll figure out now how tasteless that bit is.

Is that as tasteless as knocking up a baseball annie, and then denying that the child is your son for 18 years?

Word is that Tug finally came to his senses and accepted Tim into his life.

BKozi
01-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Is that as tasteless as knocking up a baseball annie, and then denying that the child is your son for 18 years?

Word is that Tug finally came to his senses and accepted Tim into his life.

You should get the story straight before you post. He did acknowledge Tim but he didn't even find out he had a son until he was married with his own kids. He knew that Tim's mother was pregnant but didn't know it was his kid for sure until twelve years later. At that time he told his wife. He met Tim then but wasn't ready to be a "dad" to Tim. He admitted that he handled it poorly and it was a pretty bad way to handle the situation, but he didn't want to destroy his family either. If Tim held no ill will towards him now, I don't think that we should either.

I say rest in peace to a great baseball representative.

Lip Man 1
01-06-2004, 03:00 AM
Here's a personal story that may shed some light on Tug.

In July 1987 when I was working at KNOE-TV in Monroe Tug came down and held a baseball camp in West Monroe which is right across the river from Monroe.

He did it because his son Tim played in the youth leagues in the area and Tug wanted to do something for the community.

I had a chance to interview him and it went really well. When we were done I asked if he'd sign a full sized color picture of himself pitching for the Phillies out of Sport magazine.

He did and as I looked at that picture tonight I again saw the words...."To Mark, Always have fun! Tug McGraw 87' (with a smiley face at the end of the year)

That about covers his philosophy on life doesn't it?

By the way Tim would go on to play some baseball and football for Northeast Louisiana University in Monroe which has since been renamed Louisiana - Monroe.

Lip