PDA

View Full Version : Best Comiskey/Sox Traditions

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 03:30 PM
One of my Favorites is After every Home Win, after Na-Na-Hey-Hey, they Play the Blues Brothers "Sweet Home Chicago"
on the PA system while your Happily Walking out of the Park ....

Fisk72
01-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Happily Walking out of the Park ....

Shouldn't that be in teal? :)

kittle42
01-05-2004, 03:40 PM
My favorite tradition is pregame boilermakers at the BSB.

cheeses_h_rice
01-05-2004, 03:44 PM
1. Being able to park close to the park for free, if you know the "special places."

2. Being able to buy cheap scalped tix on 35th.

3. Being able to get home quickly because no one goes to the park.

:)

Tekijawa
01-05-2004, 04:02 PM
1. No wait Nacho Lines...
2. The satisfaction of not having a News Paper tell me who my favorite player on the team is
3. all the exciting new names on the roster each year

Foulke You
01-05-2004, 04:10 PM
One of my Favorites is After every Home Win, after Na-Na-Hey-Hey, they Play the Blues Brothers "Sweet Home Chicago"

I enjoy that one as well as hearing Nancy play it after a home run while the fireworks are going off and the scoreboard pinwheels are lit. I wish they'd get rid of the stupid sound FX like "Yahoo!" and "Byeee!". They should stick to the air raid siren and Nancy's organ playing after the long ball.

I also love the opening video with the dramatic music that shows all the White Sox players from the past all leading up to Gene Honda announcing "and now here are your 2004 Chicago White Sox!!". Even though the opening video was played in the '90s it was one of the more exciting things during the 2000 season that has had a carry over effect whenever the White Sox play in a big game. The crowd usually makes a lot of noise during the opening video.

Shoeless Joe
01-05-2004, 04:13 PM
1. The Polish Sausages (Gotta have the grilled onions too)
2. The Steak Pitas
3. Connie's Pizza
(I guess I'm a little hungry)
And my two favorite:
4. Having a cheap owner
5. Being Mediocre

WhiteSoxWinner
01-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Cheap beer. Seriously, I get the opportunity to travel with my job and $5.25 for a beer at a stadium is not bad. I have been to more than a few places where you cannot get a beer for less than $7.00 and usually it is more than that. Admittedly, these are mostly NHL venues as I started the travel portion in the fall/winter, but seeing these prices has made me wish for a Comiskey beer.

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Cheap beer. Seriously, I get the opportunity to travel with my job and $5.25 for a beer at a stadium is not bad. I have been to more than a few places where you cannot get a beer for less than $7.00 and usually it is more than that. Admittedly, these are mostly NHL venues as I started the travel portion in the fall/winter, but seeing these prices has made me wish for a Comiskey beer.

Beers at Comiskey were 4.50 with the vendors...
and 4.75 at the stand. 5.25 were the big beers
in the BullPen Bar.

itchy
01-05-2004, 04:47 PM
What about in the old park, Runaround Sue cranking after a 7th inning rally, "Whoa--whoa, whoa-a-o-o-o-o-oh--oh, whoa-a-o-o-o-o-oh---oh., whoa-o-o-o-o-o-o-oh, woaaaaaaaAAAA!

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by itchy
What about in the old park, Runaround Sue cranking after a 7th inning rally, "Whoa--whoa, whoa-a-o-o-o-o-oh--oh, whoa-a-o-o-o-o-oh---oh., whoa-o-o-o-o-o-o-oh, woaaaaaaaAAAA!

man...............I totally Remember that! Anyone remember,
I think after the 1978 season on Fan Appreciation Day,
they gave out these Light Blue plastic Records, Of nancy faust playing like 3 or 4 songs? you had to put a penny on and place it on top of a real 45 single to play it? Run around sue
was on that also IIRC

Randar68
01-05-2004, 04:55 PM

Favorite Tradition???

Does beating up Tigers fans count? ;-)

SpringfldFan
01-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Without question:

"nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye..."

I believe Nancy and the Sox fans the first ones to use this song at a sporting event.

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
Without question:

I believe Nancy and the Sox fans the first ones to use this song at a sporting event.

Yes. During a sold out game Versus Kansas City in 1977, with
a raucous and wild crowd on hand. It wa a Hot Muggy
Nite, the sox were whipping the KC pitcher, before the mgr
finally taking him out of the game. Nancy, on pure
Instinct, began playing the notes to that Song, and the
crowd, unbelievably and on instinct also, began singing
Na na na na hey hey hey, goodbye. One of the most
memorable moments in this teams history ..........

mike squires
01-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Na na na na after a pitching change. The beautiful sound of 45,000 (ok, how about 20,000) singing as the pitcher exits the field. I love it when the fans put emphasis on the HEY HEY HEY...I always stand up and say lets sing it people, let's sing it!!! I love it. IT's cool too when Hawk shuts up just before they go to commercial so we can hear it.

Run around Sue was the best. Itchy, you stole my thunder!!! Again, on a good day 35,000fans singing Woah Woah, Woaaaah oh oh oh oh. I f I were at home I"d crank the radio up so I could hear it.

Once I stopped by Nancy's booth and told her I missed it when she would play that. Also that Alabama song she would play. Ah, the old days...

ode to veeck
01-05-2004, 05:57 PM
I think we beat to death the shower tradition in another thread already ... I'm in with Iwritecode's daughter and can't wait to take another shower at the Cell :redneck

One tradition I miss these days is meeting up with folks before the game at McCuddy's ... where (late in his career), the Babe used to have a tradition of running to and slamming beers during games in top half innings he wasn't scheduled to bat in

A tradition I was most pleased see to end: Ribbie and Rhubarb, thank you very much

Its good to see the cheap traditions continued by current ownership. Charlie Comiskey was rumored to be so cheap he made his team play in dirty uniforms just to save a few penniers and there were times he even charged players for having their uniforms washed.

"Yuppie Scum Go Home!" banners during the Flubs series is a really nice more recent tradition.

Two traditions I'd like most to see returned:
(1) beers for a buck
(2) fans vote with placards for management choices (steal, hbunt, squeeze, pull the pitcher, bench Royce, ship Paniccia to Antartica etc)

ode to veeck
01-05-2004, 06:01 PM
most obnoxious tradition seen in MLB parks across the land:
racing dots and similar electronic scoreboard "amusement for morons" games and routines

2nd most obnoxious tradition across the land: the wave, as Nancy Reagan says "Just say NO!"

phaedrus
01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
na na na na by far. I remember yelling that so loud as a kid (and a couple times last year) that I'd lose my voice for a whole day. My wife doesn't like it because she says it's mean - that makes me like it even more.

Another - walking up the steps from the lower concourse in the old park and looking out onto the field past the old 'golden box' railings.

And the fireworks after a home run - nothing better than the big explosions after a late inning bomb to take the lead to drive the point home.

SouthSideHitman
01-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Obviously the Na, Na, Na is right up there.

I also love fireworks nights because as a kid my family split season tickets with another family and my parents would always get the fireworks nights because I wouldn't have school the next day.

I'd love to see Runaround Sue comeback, it'd be way better than what we have now and kick the ass of the yankees tradition (c'mon, cotton eyed joe?). I'd also like to see them start a NEW tradition, after the team comes off a road trip, they should play "The Boys Are Back In Town" as they introduce the Sox (that's if they can't get rid of the stupid races).

A few other great traditions,
everyone assuming that you're a cubs fan 'cause you're from Chicago, hating the cubs and no one getting why, being able to bitch and moan over anything and everything because we always get screwed and finally, sitting down on a warm June evening and being able to flip on the tube and enjoy three hours of nirvanna until before work the next morning.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-05-2004, 08:51 PM
the fireworks after the hr and the air raid sirens when used to do it..why did it go away, then come back and then it went away again?

the intro with all the past sox players

the famous moment on this date in white sox history

the kiss cam sometimes..it was hilarious last year when 2 girls kissed because the guy didn't want to

the screen

the food

the music and atmosphere after they win a game going down the ramps

gene honda

hey hey hey goodbye when the pitchers pulled

i could go on and on...

flo-B-flo
01-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Walt Williams at the father-son Sunday doubleheader. Bat Day, went every year from 8 years old until well into my 30's. Great defense by those mid 60's teams. It was tradition to live on pitching and defense back then. Twi-light doubleheaders. Big middle of the week drunkfest and I still made it to work the next day. (barely) Ahhh memories.

wassagstdu
01-05-2004, 09:20 PM
:nancy

Brian26
01-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Bringing back Runaround Sue would be hot, as would extending "Kiss Him Goodbye" another chorus after a pitcher is taken out...Nancy seems to cut it short nowadays. In the early 80s, it seemed like it would go on forever.

CubKilla
01-06-2004, 12:35 AM
My favorite Sox tradition during my 29 years of fandom is getting my heart ripped out every year.

Some years are easier than others. But some years, like 2003, hurt like a SOB because of what could have been.

misty60481
01-06-2004, 09:28 AM
How about the Sunday & Holiday doubleheaders get to park about 11:30 watch batting practice then 2 games get home about 8 PM ---I live 60 miles away ---- eat about 25 hot dogs drink ??? beers hangover Monday--but well worth it---

ode to veeck
01-06-2004, 10:51 AM
fireworks for Sox homes was always one of my favorites too

Realist
01-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Yes. During a sold out game Versus Kansas City in 1977, with
a raucous and wild crowd on hand. It wa a Hot Muggy
Nite, the sox were whipping the KC pitcher, before the mgr
finally taking him out of the game. Nancy, on pure
Instinct, began playing the notes to that Song, and the
crowd, unbelievably and on instinct also, began singing
Na na na na hey hey hey, goodbye. One of the most
memorable moments in this teams history ..........

I was 12 years old and I was at the game. The hook was sunk and I've been suffering in quiet and not so quiet agony ever since.

Hell, I just remembered for the first time since that day that I was on TV that day. We went to a family get to together after that game and lots of people there told me that the camera zoomed in on me at some point in the game.

Wouldn't it be a smart move to release "Famous games in White Sox History" on DVD? I can imagine lots of people buying that game, the 1983 clincher, the 1993 clincher, the 2000 clincher, and the 59 World Series. I've seen similar video tapes offered by other clubs, yet I know of no such thing offered by the White Sox.

SoxFan78
01-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Tailgating for a Cubs/Sox Game at 10 AM while yelling at cub fans to go back to yuppie town.

During the 7th inning stretch, everybody yelling "Root, root root for the WHITE SOX ".

Milllllllleerrrrr Liiiiigggghhhhhttt!!!

Hall of Fame shop on the main concourse.

I think it was the fried chicken dinner. Fried chicken, biscuits on top of greasy curly fries for around 6 bucks.

Classic

Lip Man 1
01-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Go you Whhhhhiiiiitttttteeeee Sox......

Andy the Clown

or Harry Carey broadcasting the game from the center field bleachers on Wednesday afternoon home games.

Lip

alohafri
01-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

2nd most obnoxious tradition across the land: the wave, as Nancy Reagan says "Just say NO!"

Starting the wave should be a capital crime.

ode to veeck
01-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Many moons ago when I was a kid, I used to love the popcorn packaging which turned into a cardboard megaphone when you finished the popcorn, great for the GO GO SOX chants of the early 60s

Fenway
01-06-2004, 07:12 PM
First time I ever heard it was April 7th, 1978 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04070CHA1978.htm) and I wasn't happy as the WS scored 2 in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Red Sox....that is a game that came back to haunt us 162 games later....

But in my years in Chicago, I really enjoyed Nancy

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2001/jul/baseball/faust.jpg

Nancy Faust NPR interview 2001 (http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/me/20010723.faust.ram)

and of course the exploding scoreboard

the orginal one

Originally posted by SpringfldFan
Without question:

anotherDCsoxfan
01-06-2004, 08:30 PM
1. Sitting in 3 hours of traffic to get to the park from the North Suburbs on a Friday night
2. Grilled Best's Kosher Dog with Grilled Onions
3. Sweet Home Chicago