PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Home Chicago '04 Soxfest

HITMEN OF 77
01-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Just booked my flight, room and everything for this year's Soxfest. Can't wait to go. Is there a long distance award for this? I think my 2100 mile one way travel would be tops. My 1st time going to this, so I hope its good and get to meet up with a lot you there and at the party I hear so much about. :gulp:

ewokpelts
01-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Just booked my flight, room and everything for this year's Soxfest. Can't wait to go. Is there a long distance award for this? I think my 2100 mile one way travel would be tops. My 1st time going to this, so I hope its good and get to meet up with a lot you there and at the party I hear so much about. :gulp:

did u book the hyatt special rate? you get free tickets with it
Gene

HITMEN OF 77
01-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Yep, got the special rate even for the extra nigths I will be there Thurs-Mon....Can't wait!!

Iwritecode
01-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Yep, got the special rate even for the extra nigths I will be there Thurs-Mon....Can't wait!!

Coming in early and leaving late? Can't beat that.

I look forward to meeting you.

Be looking for a post about a week before soxfext outlining our unofficial WSI get-together at the bar on either Friday or Saturday.

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Coming in early and leaving late? Can't beat that.

I look forward to meeting you.

Be looking for a post about a week before soxfext outlining our unofficial WSI get-together at the bar on either Friday or Saturday.

Im going on Record here..........It will be BOTH NITES
weve got some planning to do

Brian26
01-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

When does the official WSI get-together happen? Which will be the better one to attend, the official or the unofficial?

steff
01-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Im going on Record here..........It will be BOTH NITES
weve got some planning to do

YOU got some planning to do. :D:

Friday night, after the final Q&A session, Atrium bar, tables furthest from the entrance to the bar.

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by steff
YOU got some planning to do. :D:

Friday night, after the final Q&A session, Atrium bar, tables furthest from the entrance to the bar.

Ditto for Saturday. Atrium Bar, tables Furthest from the
entrance to the Bar.

steff
01-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Let me add that these are high top tables. Last year we went before the Q&A and moved 3 of them together, and we'll try to do this again this year.. but if anyone goes over there and they are not moved.. feel free to do so.

TornLabrum
01-05-2004, 06:44 PM
I'm in for both Friday and Saturday. However, my limit may be zero booze at this point. Doc put me on a diet due to a cholesterol count that was "a little high." Judging by what I'm allowed to eat on this diet, I'd say I'll lose 100 lb. the first month and my choleserol will go into the negative numbers.

whitesoxwilkes
01-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'm in for both Friday and Saturday. However, my limit may be zero booze at this point. Doc put me on a diet due to a cholesterol count that was "a little high." Judging by what I'm allowed to eat on this diet, I'd say I'll lose 100 lb. the first month and my choleserol will go into the negative numbers.

Soxfest will be my first week back off the wagon. Kris and I are doing the South Beach Diet and part of it is no alcohol.

Hal--how is Jeff doing? Will he be coming along?

TornLabrum
01-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Soxfest will be my first week back off the wagon. Kris and I are doing the South Beach Diet and part of it is no alcohol.

Hal--how is Jeff doing? Will he be coming along?

Due to commitments at work and inability of the hospital (U of Chicago) to put together a surgical team that could operate in time for him to meet those commitments, Jeff has postponed his surgery until (as far as I know) mid-February. This should put him on his feet around opening day. So he will be at SoxFest.

mike squires
01-05-2004, 11:17 PM

Hitmen~Just follow our advice in the other Soxfest thread and you'll have a blast!!! The key is to PLAN. If you are able to download a schedule that they put out a few weeks before the event you can map out everything you are going to do. That will help you with time. That is the key so you don't WASTE your time! Here are a few tips you may or may not want to follow...'some are obvious. Sorry if I insult your intelligence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buy 3 or 4 official major league balls for autographs. They are clean and official which makes nice for displaying. I got mine at Target for like 10 to 12 bucks a piece allready in the cube.

Have all cards ready in a plastic case.

Check out the garage sale early if collecting is your thing. THe "good stuff" is usually gone by the second day. It's expensive but you can find some deals. As I mentioned I got my green Comiskey seat board which can be seen in the thread "what would you do with Bartman ball" thread. I bought it for 10 bucks. Old Comsikey seat bricks were 20 I think. You will have to pass on a big time player perhaps Maggs or Frank to do this but you should be able to catch them on Sunday.

There is A LOT of waiting in line if you do autographs. Do yourself a favor and catch some seminars. They are funny, refreshing and you can even get up and ask questions.

I wouldn't bother waiting in line for the lesser known players such as Kelly Wunsch, Rowand, Joe Borchard etc...You are likely to catch them at the Soxfest party. You will also likely see see Minnoso, Baines, Hawk, Reinsdorff, Roland Hemond etc...Little kids will be in abundance for guys like Rowand and Borchard...Just push them aside.

Arrive early. I enjoy watching players come in and getting some early autographs.

If you come with a significant other or friend have them get autographs too. My wife comes with me so I often get 2 of the same player. I've got like 5 Frank autographs (I got a few at spring training as well.) And 8 Magglios. SWEET!

Bring a wad of cash. I usually underspend but you never know.

Expect the unexpected. we ate dinner a table down from John Garland at a nearby restaraunt. Saw Minnie Minnoso on a nearly deserted second floor and could have got on an elevator with Wilbur Wood. I chose a picture with Minnie.

Spend at least one night with the your fellow posters. I have failed to do that for 2 years straight and always regret it! Players are often there and you get to watch Steff and Hanger get drunk.

most of all, have fun. Oh yeah...try to get the following Monday off of work. You'll be tired!

Hope that helps.

HITMEN OF 77
01-06-2004, 01:34 AM
Every bit of info helps out. I have a few OLB from 2003 with the All-Star logo which I will get signed and will take your advice on just about everything. Thanks!

ewokpelts
01-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Every bit of info helps out. I have a few OLB from 2003 with the All-Star logo which I will get signed and will take your advice on just about everything. Thanks!

Also, you can have soe stuff shipped to/from ur hotel. If you got a good deal on balls from a dealer/distributor, send them to your room...why bother trying to pack it?
The sox sell thier excess unused mlb authentic balls at sox fest...they usually go for 8, which is cheaper than wholesale from some distributors(my stepdad owns a baseball card store, so trust me).
If you are getting stuff signed for value's sake, use AL/NL balls(pre2001 players), MLB (current guys), and save ur "special balls"(asg, ws, season opener) for guys that were in those events. The sox MAY have soem asg balls too dirt cheep.
Gene

HITMEN OF 77
01-06-2004, 11:22 AM
I would like to find some older game used items, but I think that will be hard to come by. Looking forward to seeing which players are there from the past, that's my main area of my Sox collection.

ewokpelts
01-06-2004, 12:30 PM
I would like to find some older game used items, but I think that will be hard to come by. Looking forward to seeing which players are there from the past, that's my main area of my Sox collection.

the garage sale has stuff from 98-now....anything older....good luck

HITMEN OF 77
01-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Guess I will have to keep checking the various baseball online auction sites then for game used items. My main area of collecting is 1967-1975, funny enough I wasn't even born until 1977...."Living in past"-Jethro Tull