PDA

View Full Version : Nothing really new, but...

fledgedrallycap
01-05-2004, 01:32 PM
The Sox and Dodgers are at it again negotiating a deal which would send Konerko to L.A. for prospects which would then allow the Sox to sign Ponson. This according to the 12:30 update on the Score.

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
The Sox and Dodgers are at it again negotiating a deal which would send Konerko to L.A. for prospects which would then allow the Sox to sign Ponson. This according to the 12:30 update on the Score.

Finally, some good news. Means I'll have to take "14 Konerko" off of my road jersey though :(: Good Luck Paulie,
Wish you werent so miserable last year. ANd Let Frank
play 1st everyday

rmusacch
01-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Finally, some good news. Means I'll have to take "14 Konerko" off of my road jersey though :(: Good Luck Paulie,
Wish you werent so miserable last year. ANd Let Frank
play 1st everyday

I question if this trade can be done. If his hip is as bad as some people say, no way he passes the Dodgers physical.

SSN721
01-05-2004, 01:53 PM

If this is accurate it is obviously by far the best news so far this offseason, as mind blowing as the acquisition of Juan Uribe was . I certainly do hope his hip is good enough to pass the physical if it all goes down. Hate for all the excitement to be ruined by a failed physical. Did the add say definately that is to clear salary for Ponson or is that your own speculation, just curious. Thanks for the update though. :cool:

CHISOXFAN13
01-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
If this is accurate it is obviously by far the best news so far this offseason, as mind blowing as the acquisition of Juan Uribe was . I certainly do hope his hip is good enough to pass the physical if it all goes down. Hate for all the excitement to be ruined by a failed physical. Did the add say definately that is to clear salary for Ponson or is that your own speculation, just curious. Thanks for the update though. :cool:

George Offman said "his sources" said it would give the Sox room to sign Ponson.

I think I've heard this same update 15 times this offseason.

wsgdf
01-05-2004, 02:04 PM
So IF this happens and Konerko's gone, I guess Frank plays 1B almost exclusively, do I see some sort of Rowand/Borchard platoon in CF, Uribe/Valentin platoon at SS, with Valentin/Rowand/Borchard splitting DH duties.

Who plays 1B when Frank gets a day off or DHs? I'd hate to fill a roster spot with Ross Gload just to have a one day a week 1B.

By the way, replace Borchard's name with Reed where you see fit.

fledgedrallycap
01-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Did the ad say definately that is to clear salary for Ponson or is that your own speculation, just curious. Thanks for the update though. :cool:

Offman mentioned "The Sox ongoing pursuit of Ponson would become more possible by trading Konerko" .

So, it is speculations, but an educated guess.

Randar68
01-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I question if this trade can be done. If his hip is as bad as some people say, no way he passes the Dodgers physical.

The problem is: Some people really don't know what they're talking about. An injury that's older than his Sox Career and cost him a total of zero games nor reduced his mobility or flexibility.

fledgedrallycap
01-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
mobility or flexibility.

What mobility or flexibility... :)

TheRockinMT
01-05-2004, 02:20 PM
The speculation about Paul Konerko is troubling. All these reports of a hip condition keep surfacing, but last year I made some inquries of people who are close to the action and nobody knew of any hip condition. He doesn't have a hip condition people! I know that KW wants to free up salary, but all we are doing by trading the likes of Ordonez, Konerko, Lee, Koch, et al, is going backwards. We get a good nucleus and because Mr. Reinsdorf wants to impress Bud Selig we have to trade star players just to stay semi-competitive. I am afraid we will get ripped off by the Dodgers, if we get minor league talent for an established star. Why worry about Ponson? All we will do is either trade him later or fail to sign him to a deal when he becomes a star pitcher and opts for free agency.

SSN721
01-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Offman mentioned "The Sox ongoing pursuit of Ponson would become more possible by trading Konerko" .

So, it is speculations, but an educated guess.

I didnt mean saying is it "speculation" as a knock on the update or what you were saying. I was just trying to clarify, hope you didnt take offense, I should have phrased it better.

wsgdf
01-05-2004, 02:33 PM
the likes of Ordonez, Konerko, Lee, Koch, et al

Why do you group these four names together? The only reason Koch and Konerko should be mentioned with Lee and Ordonez is because they've all been mentioned in trade rumors.

Replacing Konerko or Koch's salry with Ponson's makes perfect sense, while trading Maggs or Lee for prospects in order to sign Ponson might be questionable.

jabrch
01-05-2004, 02:39 PM
If we manage to move Konerko for prospects, I would hope we make a last ditch effort to sign Juan Gonzalez to be our DH. A) Keep him from KC and B) add a great bat to the heart of the order. The talk is he is close to a 4mm base with 2mm in incentives, but that the deal is not done yet. Replace Konerko's 8mm with Gonzalez at 4-6 and then have 2-4mm extra to bundle with whatever other money we have (?) to get a 2B or to get Ponson?

At least it would be a step in the right direction.

jabrch
01-05-2004, 02:40 PM
If the Dodgers were dumb enough to take Todd Hundley, why wouldn't they take Konerko?

Palehose13
01-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by wsgdf
Why do you group these four names together? The only reason Koch and Konerko should be mentioned with Lee and Ordonez is because they've all been mentioned in trade rumors.

Replacing Konerko or Koch's salry with Ponson's makes perfect sense, while trading Maggs or Lee for prospects in order to sign Ponson might be questionable.

AMEN!!! I'm for trading Konerko or Koch for a 6-pack if the other team will take on most of their salaries. However, I want proven major league talent for Ordonez or Lee.

Konerko to LA for prospects so that Ponson can be signed...I have no problem with this IF Ponson is signed, of course.

Palehose13
01-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
If the Dodgers were dumb enough to take Todd Hundley, why wouldn't they take Konerko?

:D:

jeremyb1
01-05-2004, 03:34 PM
It'd be great if this deal somehow happened but I see two issues here. The first is that, it seems highly unlikley to me that the Dodgers would take on the remainder of Konerko's deal without any cash involved. To whomever mentioned the Hundley deal, the salaries were equal and the fact that Hundley's was stretched out over two seasons allowed the Dodgers to sign McGriff last season. That's quite different that taking on around 16 million over two seasons for a player that was well below average last season without sending any salaries our direction or insisting on cash. Stranger things have happened but it would be nothing less than shocking.

Additionally, Konerko makes 8 million next season and according to Levine Kenny claims we're 4 million over budget. This move would put us 4 million under budget which is certainly not enough to sign Ponson. Another salary dump or payroll flexibility on JR's part would be required to make that move. This doesn't mean its a bad move. We could trade Paully and theoretically upgrade at 1B/DH with someone like Burks or Mondesi and add a solid back of the rotation starter or a reliever. We'd be a lot better off than we are now, it just wouldn't be night and day.

HITMEN OF 77
01-05-2004, 03:51 PM
IMO I would much rather Koch go than Konerko. I really think it could be a mistake getting rid of Paulie. One bad year doesn't offset the other 2 or 3 good years he had before this past year, but that's just my thoughts....Oh and I like Paulie a lot, my current team fav!

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
IMO I would much rather Koch go than Konerko. I really think it could be a mistake getting rid of Paulie. One bad year doesn't offset the other 2 or 3 good years he had before this past year, but that's just my thoughts....Oh and I like Paulie a lot, my current team fav!

I love Paulie too (in a fan way) and my hunch says so do most Sox Fans. Id rather see Koch go also, but we've already lost our most Productive Parts of the Bullpen (Gordon, Sullivan)
Were in trouble this season .............Man did we need
Konerko last year and he Failed Us/Team/Himself

tanko
01-05-2004, 04:40 PM
If one bad Konerko year doesn't offset the good years than why get rid of Koch????????

TheRockinMT
01-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by tanko
If one bad Konerko year doesn't offset the good years than why get rid of Koch????????

Keep em both. It doesn't appear we will get true value in return from any Sox player mentioned in trade rumors. I would also emphasize that one good year by someone else's player (Ponson) doesn't mean we should go bonkers over that guy either, just as one bad year by a Sox player mean their disposable.

wsgdf
01-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I would also emphasize that one good year by someone else's player (Ponson) doesn't mean we should go bonkers over that guy either, just as one bad year by a Sox player mean their disposable

Well...except that Ponson's one good year was preceded by a year that was better then any year he had before that. In other words he looks like a young pitcher who's getting better and better. Even if he falls back to the 2002 version, that may be at least as valuable to the White Sox situation then if Konerko repeated his best season.

Coupled with the likely move of Thomas back to 1B (if you believe the numbers that suggest how much better he is playing there than at DH), I think it's a move the Sox should make.

Frankly, I haven't like Paul since the day he spoke out against Frank. Coincidentally (or not) he hasn't been the same player since.

Palehose13
01-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Konerko only had one bad year? Well maybe stat wise, but I see him as a half-year player. He was in 2002 and 2003. Don't get me wrong, I like Paulie (definitely more than Koch) but Frank is more productive when playing first and IMO that makes Paulie expendable. I just wish we would have kept Daubach if they knew they were getting rid of Paul. Ross Gload, I suppose.