PDA

View Full Version : Being a Sox Fan is a Sickness

Hosey22
01-04-2004, 09:38 PM
It is early January, we have done very little to better ourselves for next year, the cubs are looking better all the time, and i still can't wait for this damn season to start. I haven't been around this site long, but i can already tell that many of you suffer the same afflictions. What do you guys do to get you through the winter months? I need something, the hawks can't do a thing, the bulls are hopeless, and i'm not much of a football person, except for my hoping the packers lose. But what do you guys do over the off-season to hold you over? or at least something satisfy that baseball fix since we don't seem to be making any moves.

Meixner007
01-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Hosey22
But what do you guys do over the off-season to hold you over?

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

WinningUgly!
01-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Hosey22
It is early January, we have done very little to better ourselves for next year, the cubs are looking better all the time, and i still can't wait for this damn season to start. I haven't been around this site long, but i can already tell that many of you suffer the same afflictions. What do you guys do to get you through the winter months? I need something, the hawks can't do a thing, the bulls are hopeless, and i'm not much of a football person, except for my hoping the packers lose. But what do you guys do over the off-season to hold you over? or at least something satisfy that baseball fix since we don't seem to be making any moves.

The two most popular things to do as a Sox fan during the offseason...
1) Bitch about transactions made by other teams that we should/could be making.
2) Bitch about our transactions, when we actually make them.

mike squires
01-04-2004, 11:49 PM
This has been recently discussed before, but IU college basketball gets me thru the winter (and taking care of my wife and newborn!!!) Also..this sight! I do't know how many hours a week I spend posting and looking at others posts. I don't know what I'd do without it. I also play guitar and lift weights.

You need to stick around hosey. It amazes me how many people sign up to this sight but never post. We need more people like you! We are a dieing breed.

LuvSox
01-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Meixner007

bingo

soxfan26
01-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Just be glad you were not born up on the north side, I hear there is a real sickness affecting young baseball fans up there...

TaylorStSox
01-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Don't be a Sox fan then. Even mentioning the Cubs makes me think that being a Sox fan first isn't your number 1 priority.

Hosey22
01-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Don't be a Sox fan then. Even mentioning the Cubs makes me think that being a Sox fan first isn't your number 1 priority.

The "C" word isn't usually said in my house. But recently I've been hearing way to much about it. The Sox are extremely high on my priority list. Lifting and preparing for the college baseball season is what has been keeping me busy this winter. But I was just interested in seein what some others do. I'm really glad i've found this place. Die-hards like us seem to be a rare breed, but it's good to know there are still plenty out there.

Chisox353014
01-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Illinois basketball is the only other sport that competes with the Sox for my loyalty, so I'm usually good through March. That is until the Illini find a way to break my heart again. I swear sometimes they are the White Sox of college basketball; always on the cusp of something great but never actually getting there.
I used to be a big Hawks fan, but lately it's been hard to muster any enthusiasm for them. The NHL kinda sucks since all the expansion and teams moving to places like Carolina and Phoenix.
As for the Bulls...well, the current NBA might be the least interesting major sports league of all time so who cares?
Unfortunately, as of right now, this is the least excited I've been about an upcoming Sox season in a long long time. No moves by the Sox + a general annoyance at the way MLB itself is run + the possibility of another sickening year of Cubgasms = blah.

PaulDrake
01-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Illinois basketball is the only other sport that competes with the Sox for my loyalty, so I'm usually good through March. That is until the Illini find a way to break my heart again. I swear sometimes they are the White Sox of college basketball; always on the cusp of something great but never actually getting there Illinois has a great high school basketball tradition, but the state university has never been able to use that talent to win an NCAA championship. Illinois should be like Indiana or Kentucky in terms of NCAA championships.

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Being a cub fan is a Sickness. Now that theyve won a little bit,
that will keep the fan base/media happy for about 10 years.
A Disturbing, Psychological Sickness

SouthSideHitman
01-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Here's what I do. I devote 8 months of the year to baseball and the Sox and I tell myself that I'll do all the extra reading, listening to music, etc. that I've missed out on after the season's over. Generally that lasts until about Christmas before I get antsy. After that I spend even more hours here at WSI, watch the old games I have taped and pray that pitchers and catchers report soon.

Baby Fisk
01-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Sweet, sweet CANADIAN beer!

This site helps too, knowing there are so many others afflicted with the same illness... :D:

TornLabrum
01-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Here's what I do. I devote 8 months of the year to baseball and the Sox and I tell myself that I'll do all the extra reading, listening to music, etc. that I've missed out on after the season's over. Generally that lasts until about Christmas before I get antsy. After that I spend even more hours here at WSI, watch the old games I have taped and pray that pitchers and catchers report soon.

I've divided the year into two seasons. Baseball, which lasts from mid-February (when pitchers and catchers report) and Christmas, which lasts from the day after the last game of the World Series until mid-Februarty.

My wife won't let me go so far as to put up a permanent tree which has baseball ornaments for the season of Baseball, but I'm still working on trying to convince her.

emaholic
01-05-2004, 11:37 PM
I usually watch the Hawks, but lately...they've been a waste of my time AND money. I'll play my guitar, but I can't since my G chord string broke, gotta get that fixed. So, I just update my sites and make artwork of my obsession, Steve Sullivan. Yay.