PDA

View Full Version : Juan Gonzalez Signed! -with Royals-


spataro51
01-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Juan Gon has reportedly signed with the royals. YEP WE HAVE PROBLEMS, any chance of us trading maggs and signing juan are gone. KC is my pick for the division title next year, looks like they are going all out to win it. here is the link Juan to the roayls (http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?sport=MLB&page=news)

Jjav829
01-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by spataro51
Juan Gon has reportedly signed with the royals. YEP WE HAVE PROBLEMS, any chance of us trading maggs and signing juan are gone. KC is my pick for the division title next year, looks like they are going all out to win it. here is the link Juan to the roayls (http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?sport=MLB&page=news)

Another solid move by the Royals. Obviously his health is an issue but if he stays healthy, they have added a big bat to the lineup.

But hey, don't worry. It's only January. I'm sure the big White Sox moves are still to come!

spataro51
01-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I hope so, kw better start moving on things. Spring training is about 6 weeks away. Things need to start falling in place.

Deadguy
01-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Uh oh. Even though I'm sure Juan won't play more than 100 games next season, the Royals are primed to be the favorites to win the division next season.

Their runs allowed/runs scored differential from last season shows that they were a bit lucky to win 83 games last season, but Juan gives the Royals a solid 1-2 punch to go along with Mike Sweeney. He also has a strong incentive to put up big numbers, as it will be a contract year.

ChiSox7
01-04-2004, 07:01 PM
You know they are going to score some runs like last year. But they won't hit .304 with RISP no matter who they get. Until they get some starting pitching it doesn't matter who they get. They'll still probably be the favorites though. Somebody's gotta take it from the Twins though. As it is Juan Gone just picks up where Ibanez left off.

soxfan26
01-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by spataro51
YEP WE HAVE PROBLEMS

I'd love to argue with you, but there is just no silver lining on this cloud.

JRIG
01-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Uh oh. Even though I'm sure Juan won't play more than 100 games next season, the Royals are primed to be the favorites to win the division next season.

Their runs allowed/runs scored differential from last season shows that they were a bit lucky to win 83 games last season, but Juan gives the Royals a solid 1-2 punch to go along with Mike Sweeney. He also has a strong incentive to put up big numbers, as it will be a contract year.

I'd say Carlos Beltran would give a solid 1-2 punch with Sweeney. Gonzalez would be a 3. And of course, they still have Stairs, Berroa in his second year, and a still somewhat productive Joe Randa.

But why should we worry about the Royals. They haven't made any big moves this offseason. Just small little signings.

doublem23
01-04-2004, 07:34 PM
ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

This gets more ridiculous as it unfolds.

jeremyb1
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
The Royals certainly overachieved last season but they've really been on fire in terms of personel moves since around the trade deadline last season. Outside of losing Ibanez, all of their moves have been huge improvements. They dealt for Anderson and Leskanic at the deadline and resigned both cheaply along with Santiago, Stairs, and now Gonzalez. They've spent very little money to add a lot of underated contributors. These are almost Billy Beane type moves with a few small exceptions (Anderson's K/BB rate, Santiago's BB rate, etc).

PaleHoseGeorge
01-04-2004, 08:17 PM
If the Royals weren't a small market team I might be getting concerned right now.

:smile:

ChiSox14305635
01-04-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm not worried in the least bit. Divisions aren't won in January. And while they can be lost then, I'll wait to see what move KW makes before the panic button is hit.

duke of dorwood
01-04-2004, 09:36 PM
For all the tout about our hitting-their line up is just as good right now-

Blueprint1
01-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Okay so the Royals made a solid move. I hope we don't expect to back into the division. I was thinking the other day really our pitching isn't that bad. We do still have two starters that can win 20 games.

JRIG
01-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
For all the tout about our hitting-their line up is just as good right now-

Like those old commercials during Monday Night Football...you make the call!

KC: (career OBP/SLG)
Berroa .334/.432
Beltran .350/.478
Sweeney .381/.497
Gonzalez .344/.563
Stairs .362/.500
Randa .340/.426
Guiel .326/.428
Santaigo .307/.415
Relaford .325/.359

Sox: (career OBP/SLG)
Harris .255/.262
Rowand .325/.418
Thomas .428/.568
Ordonez .365/.527
Lee .334/.480
Konerko .341/.470
Valentin .324/.450
Crede .307/.444
Olivo .287/.363

KC has five in the lineup with an OBP more than .340 and four with a SLG of more than .450

Sox has three in the lineup with OBP more than .340 and five with a SLG of more than .450

Dub25
01-04-2004, 10:16 PM
I don't think Juan Gone joining the Royals will effect Maggs being traded. I was just at MLB.com looking at the hot stove report for the sox and saw Armando Rios on the white sox free agent tracker list. Its not the list of players their after but a list of players from last year's team that became free agents. However, I have a bad feeling Maggs will be traded and Rios will be back patrolling RF until one of the prospects are ready to take over.

munchman33
01-04-2004, 11:07 PM
While I'm worried about this signing, I still don't think this makes the Royals the favorite. Their starting pitching would have to be upgraded before I defer to them.

LuvSox
01-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
We do still have two starters that can win 20 games.

It should be three.

MarkEdward
01-04-2004, 11:48 PM
For what it's worth, the Royals will be moving the Kauffman Stadium walls back a bit for next year, so their pitching should be helped by that fact. On the other hand, it will probably hurt their hitting a bit also.

Another nice signing for the Royals. They'll probably platoon him with Ken Harvey at DH. Harvey can't hit lefties while Gonzalez can (.882 OPS), so they should make a productive duo. Keeping Gonzalez at DH also lowers the probability of him getting hurt. The Royals are looking interesting. Baird continues to pick up spare parts, hoping they'll form a solid nucleus and win some games. Their pitching should get better, as I said before. A healthy Mike Sweeney automatically improves any offense (he only played 108 games last year). Beltran is back, and the Relaford/Graffanino platoon should be productive at second. On the other hand, Randa and Berroa should probably regress a bit, they still don't really have a left fielder (though I guess Stairs could do it), and who knows what the ageless Benito Santiago will do.

Right now, anyone not named the Tigers can win the AL Central. We don't have a second baseman, or much of a bullpen; the Indians don't have pitching or a middle infield; and the Twins don't have a middle infield. Lot of weaknesses for all of the Central teams.

RKMeibalane
01-05-2004, 12:06 AM
This is a nice move by the Royals. Obviously, Gonzalez has a history of injuries, but he's proven that he can put up huge numbers if he's healthy. Like them or not, the Royals have shown that they're willing to do whatever it takes to improve their ballclub.

Although divisions are never won in January, it would be nice if Reinsdorf and Williams had that approach. Time is running out for the Sox to make a move.

Saracen
01-05-2004, 01:06 AM
I guess the Royals felt they needed a career clubhouse cancer & flat-out dog who refuses to play unless he feels like it that particular day. EXCELLENT move for the Sox, he'll set that clubhouse back years.

CubKilla
01-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Saracen
I guess the Royals felt they needed a career clubhouse cancer & flat-out dog who refuses to play unless he feels like it that particular day. EXCELLENT move for the Sox, he'll set that clubhouse back years.

Don't underestimate the influence Tony Pena has over the KC Clubhouse. Pena just strikes me as the type of manager that Gonzalez would be thrilled to play for everyday.

Frater Perdurabo
01-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Saracen
I guess the Royals felt they needed a career clubhouse cancer & flat-out dog who refuses to play unless he feels like it that particular day. EXCELLENT move for the Sox, he'll set that clubhouse back years.

I agree 100%.

Hangar18
01-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Okay so the Royals made a solid move.

More Troublesome, is the Royals FILLED ANOTHER HOLE.
The SOX are CREATING HOLES, and trying to get rid of one
of their BEST players to fill some of the HOLES the SOX
themselves Created. Nothing Good is coming of all this.

Im already giving the Royals this division.

DrCrawdad
01-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Juan Gonzalez's agent denies that he's got a deal with the Royals.
Instead, there are still 3 teams in the running, while he says, "I would
clearly say that Kansas City is the front-runner at the moment." Both the
agent and Royals GM Allard Baird expect a decision this week.

itchy
01-05-2004, 10:01 AM
"Juan Gonzalez's agent denies that he's got a deal with the Royals.
Instead, there are still 3 teams in the running, while he says, "I
would
clearly say that Kansas City is the front-runner at the moment." Both
the
agent and Royals GM Allard Baird expect a decision this week."


Not a done deal yet, as reported by Lee Sinins. If there's a bidding "war", I'd guess that KC wouldn't get him, but who knows!

jeremyb1
01-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Like those old commercials during Monday Night Football...you make the call!

KC: (career OBP/SLG)
Berroa .334/.432
Beltran .350/.478
Sweeney .381/.497
Gonzalez .344/.563
Stairs .362/.500
Randa .340/.426
Guiel .326/.428
Santaigo .307/.415
Relaford .325/.359

.341 .455

Sox: (career OBP/SLG)
Harris .255/.262
Rowand .325/.418
Thomas .428/.568
Ordonez .365/.527
Lee .334/.480
Konerko .341/.470
Valentin .324/.450
Crede .307/.444
Olivo .287/.363

.330 .442

KC has five in the lineup with an OBP more than .340 and four with a SLG of more than .450

Sox has three in the lineup with OBP more than .340 and five with a SLG of more than .450

That's a good idea but I think I have an even better one, lets average the numbers. KC ends up with a .341 OBP and a .455 SLG (.796 OPS) and we end up with a .330 OBP and .442 SLG (.772 OPS). There are some inaccuracies with using career numbers since for instance Frank is past his prime and Harris has little playing time and couldn't possibly do as bad as he has with 500 ABs or at a minimum he wouldn't receive them producing those numbers. Despite these problems, these numbers give us a good enough idea to figure we're in trouble.

Deadguy
01-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
For all the tout about our hitting-their line up is just as good right now-

There's no reason for our offense to be touted, because it was mediocre in 2003, and we made 0 improvements in the offseason.

Runs scored for the White Sox in 2003: 791
Runs scored for the Royals in 2003: 836

We needed tables setters in the 1 and 2 spots with decent OBPs for Frank and Magglio, and we didn't get any.

The Royals on the otherhand have improved their offense with smart, relatively low cost pick ups.

idseer
01-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Okay so the Royals made a solid move. I hope we don't expect to back into the division. I was thinking the other day really our pitching isn't that bad. We do still have two starters that can win 20 games.

the fact is they have one starter who HAS won 20 and that was one time out of 9 seasons. the other has never won 20 and indeed took a big step backward this past year. in the meantime, the support for both these guys has diminished.

and on top of THAT ... without actually checking, i would bet MOST teams have at least 2 pitchers that "CAN" win 20. and many have 3.

Deadguy
01-05-2004, 10:22 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/1650.jpg
"Have no fear fans of the White Sox. Rickey is still the greatest of all time, even at the age of 45. Rickey share his birthday with another savior, and Rickey shall return to the city of his birth to save the floundering franchise called the White Sox. Just trade that Magglio guy, and watch Rickey steal 45 at the age of 45 in 2004."

anewman35
01-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
It should be three.

Who, Colon? How exactly did you plan to force him to sign, hold him at gunpoint? Or were we supposed to get in a bidding war with a team who has a bigger payroll? I can't really see the logic of that...

anewman35
01-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
More Troublesome, is the Royals FILLED ANOTHER HOLE.
The SOX are CREATING HOLES, and trying to get rid of one
of their BEST players to fill some of the HOLES the SOX
themselves Created. Nothing Good is coming of all this.

Im already giving the Royals this division.

What holes have the Sox created?

Losing a player to free agency isn't creating a hole - it's the player's choice to leave, the Sox didn't force them.

If you're already giving the Royals the division, does that mean you'll not bother to post and watch the games next season? I mean, if you already know the outcome, what's the point?

daveeym
01-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
What holes have the Sox created?

Losing a player to free agency isn't creating a hole - it's the player's choice to leave, the Sox didn't force them.

If you're already giving the Royals the division, does that mean you'll not bother to post and watch the games next season? I mean, if you already know the outcome, what's the point?

I agree I feel like I'm watching those NFL commercials "You have the whole season to get your story straight!"

Iwritecode
01-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Or were we supposed to get in a bidding war with a team who has a bigger payroll? I can't really see the logic of that...

If this team wants to win, it's these kind of things they need to do.

But I forgot, they just can't compete with all those big-market teams like Anaheim with their huge payrolls...

anewman35
01-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
If this team wants to win, it's these kind of things they need to do.

But I forgot, they just can't compete with all those big-market teams like Anaheim with their huge payrolls...

Yeah, Anaheim is really small market. It's not like it's part of the second largest market in the country, or anything crazy like that!

MisterB
01-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
But I forgot, they just can't compete with all those big-market teams like Anaheim with their huge payrolls...

Um...news flash - Anaheim IS a big-market team. They haven't generally acted like one, but they have a higher revenue potential than the Sox do.

maurice
01-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
There's no reason for our offense to be touted, because it was mediocre in 2003, and we made 0 improvements in the offseason.

Runs scored for the White Sox in 2003: 791
Runs scored for the Royals in 2003: 836

Keep in mind that the Sox offense only sucked before the All Star break.

Sox post-AS runs: 398 (#1 in the AL)
KC post-AS runs: 352 (#6 in the AL)

I agree with the rest of your post. In particular, the Sox likely have downgraded offensively at two positions, and there's a good chance they dump another bat to get under budget. They are relying heavily on significant improvement from too many players.

IMHO, losing a FA at a key position with no adequate backup plan because you didn't make a competitive offer to the FA = making holes.

Juan Gon, much like Mike Sweeney, is an excellent offensive player when he's healthy. We'll see how often either plays in 2004.

pudge
01-05-2004, 04:03 PM
They're gonna need Juan Gone, because their pitching is still going to get rocked... they're moving back the fences because they're tired of watching teams like the Sox come in and score 14 runs, but in turn, that will hurt their improved offense... it will take away power from Stairs, Sweeney, etc... I'm still not scared of KC... they'll be competitve, but we knew that long before Juan joined.

Iwritecode
01-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Yeah, Anaheim is really small market. It's not like it's part of the second largest market in the country, or anything crazy like that!


Originally posted by MisterB
Um...news flash - Anaheim IS a big-market team. They haven't generally acted like one, but they have a higher revenue potential than the Sox do.

OK, point taken. But the Sox should still be able to match or exceed whatever Anaheim can come up with...

:KW

I can't spend a dime when I only have a nickel!

WhiteSoxWinner
01-06-2004, 01:52 PM
It is official. Juan to the Royals for one year, $4.5 million guaranteed.

Another one bites the dust...

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1701680)