PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we don't need conspiracy theories...

TornLabrum
01-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Someone suggested in the thread regarding the shower that Uncle Jer should concentrate on putting a decent team together rather than worrying about a shower.

This caused me to wonder if maybe we're seeing malevolence when what Uncle Jer is actually displaying is senility. Maybe he really thinks $58 million is a reasonable budget. Maybe that's why he spends so much time with the petty stuff instead of looking at the big picture.

Maybe Sox investors should be looking towards invoking their own "diminished skills" clause.

Or maybe Uncle Jer is just an *******.

ondafarm
01-03-2004, 11:05 PM
As a resident expert on conspiracy theories (I believe a few posters will agree to that.) I think all we need to believe is that JR is too cheap.

jamteh
01-03-2004, 11:16 PM
The thing that baffles me is the Bulls' '03-'04 payroll is almost as much as the White Sox' will be in '04, and Reinsdorf et. al. don't have a problem with paying Antonio Davis, who averages 10.5 ppg, $12 million per season, but they can't afford to pay Magz $14 million?

Now I know that running a baseball team is more expensive than a basketball team--more players, more expensive travel dates, minor league teams, etc.--but you also can fit a heck of a lot more people in The Cell than the United Center and there are twice as many home dates in baseball. Even if the Sox draw only 22,000 per game, that still adds up to 160,000 more people than a season's worth of full-capacity Bulls games--and we all know that the Bulls have not been selling out too many games recently.

Yes, basketball tickets are more expensive, but the disparity is shrinking all too quickly.

This $58 million payroll thing seems to be nothing more than a self-imposed aberration toward perpetual medicority.

Blueprint1
01-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Basketball has huge TV money. The Bulls also are I believe second in the East in attendance. If that tells you anything about the sport of basketball and its true overall popularity. Most of all the TV money basketball gets allows it to spend in that manner.

Daver
01-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Basketball has huge TV money.

Baseball gets a lot better money than basketball does.

chisox06
01-04-2004, 01:10 AM
JR is just a cheap old milllionaire from New York, who doesn't understand Chicago sports and most importantly Sox fans, I still think this guy still hasnt figured out why the Cubs draw great while the Sox struggle. JR is concerned about making a profit, thats it, and while you can make more of a profit by spending more and putting a good team on the field, JR wants to play it conservative and isn't willing to take that risk. But hey were gettin a new roof!

TommyJohn
01-04-2004, 03:46 AM
I'm sure that Reinsdorf's theory is "if the marlins can do it on
52 mil, we can do it on 58. Of course, the Marlins 52 mil was
spent wisely. Not so with the 2004 Sox, so far.

CubKilla
01-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
I'm sure that Reinsdorf's theory is "if the marlins can do it on
52 mil, we can do it on 58. Of course, the Marlins 52 mil was
spent wisely. Not so with the 2004 Sox, so far.

Not to mention that the Marlins young talent blows the young talent that the Sox have out of the water. I'd take every position player the Marlins had in '03 over all but RF and, to a lesser degree, LF (Cabrera will be better than C Lee soon) that the Sox have, at this point, for '04.

Hangar18
01-04-2004, 01:07 PM
there has GOT TO BE a way, somehow, that Jerry Can be
Removed from Power ...........

MRKARNO
01-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
there has GOT TO BE a way, somehow, that Jerry Can be
Removed from Power ...........

I'm sure if you presented a good offer to him to sell the team then he would accept and be removed from power