PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile in the radio booth.............

KingXerxes
09-03-2001, 10:24 PM
:farmer

"Well here we go into the sixth with a three to one lead. Now you want to hold them because if they score a run here or there, and get the lead - then they'll win the game without even doing anything. That's the way it works in the major leagues folks.......a team will climb back into a game, and the next thing you know - it's you who have to score if you're going to win. That's why some teams win out here and some teams lose."

:rooney

"Meanwhile back on the field, Omar Vizquel just led off with a triple down the rightfield line."

"I was in the clubhouse before the game, and I was telling some of the guys that my philosophy is 'You've got to score more runs - not points, but runs - than the other team if you hope to give yourself any chance to win a game.' And here's a great opportunity to show that at work. If we hold them here, it's one less run that we will have to score in order to score more and win."

"Well there's one of those runs as Konerko just waved at a Roberto Alomar ground ball which will go for a two base error"

"See now folks, that's a run.....not a point - that's football - although you would have thought that yesterday's game was a football game 19 - 10, in baseball you wear spikes, in football it's cleats, and in bowling?.......Well I guess they're just called bowling shoes - Do you call them points or pins in bowling?"

"Burks just hit a three run home run, and now it's five to three in favor of Cleveland."

"We've got to hit the next batter. You don't want to do that in bowling....the ball is too heavy - unless you use an eight pound ball, but then you're probably a little kid and kids we don't want you doing that.....If you it somebody in football then it's probably an incomplete pass, unless you hit your receiver - but if you hit him in the cleat - not spikes - then you won't score any points - not runs."

FarWestChicago
09-03-2001, 10:27 PM
LMAO, King! I was listening to that goof and that's pretty much what he sounded like.

doublem23
09-03-2001, 10:33 PM
LMAO! That numbs the pain from this damn season...

KingXerxes
09-03-2001, 10:36 PM
I couldn't believe Farmer when, in the bottom of the fifth, he says something like,

"Okay - we see these guys next week for four games and then we'll really have a chance to make up ground and put ourselves in the thick of this race."

"Yeah - but there's a long way to go here, and don't forget about Detroit coming in for four games tomorrow."

"Oh yeah......the Tigers. Well if what I think is going to happen tonight is going to happen, well then tomorrow you forget about today and go out there."

K I S S O F D E A T H !

PaleHoseGeorge
09-03-2001, 10:38 PM
I'm LMAO over here, X. I've been wearing an upside down smiley face for over an hour. Thanks for making me laugh!

KingXerxes
09-03-2001, 10:44 PM
:wills

"Okay........so there........Ummmmmmmmm we split with Cleveland and although that doesn't bode well because you sure wanted to get at least three out of four here you can't really say that we're out of it.......is it a long shot - sure - but we can do it Sox fans, we can do it.........it will sure be interesting to see what Jerry Manuel has to say because this is another nail in the coffin...probably the third or fourth nail when you only have about six or eight nails left. But hey! Who would have thought that when we were 14 under .500 in May that we'd be here still in the race although it's certainly a longshot at 8 and 1/2 games out with 26 to go, but stranger things have happened but I'm not saying that we're going to win it I'm just saying that it's a long shot.......I think."

Bmr31
09-04-2001, 02:10 AM
LOL!!!! That may be the most creative, and humorous post ive seen, in a long long time! Thanks for making me and others laugh......

FarWestChicago
09-04-2001, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
LOL!!!! That may be the most creative, and humorous post ive seen, in a long long time! Thanks for making me and others laugh......

It may be an obvious statement, but the King rules.

CLR01
09-04-2001, 02:39 AM
we need to get King to do a daily article of these. With Hawk and Farmer in their respective booths, there has to be more than enough material.

KingXerxes
09-04-2001, 12:08 PM

"A lot of you have asked me lately if I could do more of these types of posts - and while I've got a second here due to a back-up on the fourth tee I figured I would take a break from reinventing my golf swing to let you know why that would be much more difficult than would appear to the average fan. When I graduated Chicago State many years ago, I was drafted by the Cleveland Indians - when I first showed up to spring training some wag asked me if I was any relation to Alex Farmer who was a catcher for the Brooklyn Trolleycar Dodgers in 1908. A lot of people don't realize it but teams went by different names back then - well some teams not all teams - the Brooklyn team was known as The Trolleycar Dodgers, the Superbas, Hanson's Superbas, and the Robins back around the turn of the century and beyond - well anyway I responded that I didn't know anyone named Alex Farmer. I got traded to Detroit in 1973, and as soon as I reported to Tigers Stadium - which was also known as Briggs Stadium off and on back then - a reporter asked me if I was any relation to Jack Farmer who was a utility infiedler for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1916 and then Cleveland in 1918. The Pirates were pretty much known as just the Pirates for the entire 20th century and they always played in Pittsburgh, except that some refer to them as the Bucs - not Bucks although it's pronounced the same as an abbreviation for Buccaneers which is in fact another name for a pirate. Good team from 1900 through about 1920, bad team then until the late 50's/early 60's. Anyway I said I didn't know of any relative called Jack Farmer but would look it up when I got a chance. Well 1974 found me in Philadelphia, but nobody asked me about my family - don't blame 'em - I was so ineffective that they sent me down and cut me loose. It was then that I was visited by the ghost of Bill Farmer late one night, and he told me that I would end up on Baltimore in 1977 and then get shipped to Milwaukee for 1978, Texas for part of '79 and then end up on the White Sox until 1981. I asked the ghost of Bill Farmer - who I don't think is any relation if that was going to be it, and he just laughed and said that no, the White Sox would ship me back to Philadelphia for the 1982 and 1983 seasons, but the Phillies - the one's that play in Philadelphia - would send me over to the Oakland A's in 1983. They were called the A's back then, although prior to being the Oakland A', they were called the Oakland Athletics - before moving in from Kansas City, where they came from Philadelphia yet again and were owned by Connie Mack. When I asked the ghost of Bill Farmer how he knew this, he said he overheard it, and I believed it then and I believe it now - because Bill Farmer - who I'm not sure I'm related to - was a catcher with Pittsburgh in 1888 in the National League, and was traded to Philadelphia of the American Association that same year, so maybe he knew Connie Mack personally. Well the time flies by and here I am watching a game in Canada and the new Montreal pitcher is Howard Farmer. The guy I'm at the game with - after just shooting a two under 70 - asks if I'm related to Howard Farmer, and I said I don't know, but I'd look it up. I don't even want to get started on Colorado's Mike Farmer a few years ago.

Well anyway to answer your question, were any of these Farmers actually farmers? I don't know - I'll have to look that up, but all of these Farmers were certainly Farmers, although not all farmers are Farmers. Are we ready to shoot yet Hawk?

:hawk

"Mercy..........the Ol' American Association......you know Ed, I remember when Ol' Hoss Radbourn was telling me that he was planning to switch...."

:DJ

"Could somebody just tee off already?"

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................."

CLR01
09-04-2001, 12:17 PM
LMAO-give this guy webspace.

Paulwny
09-04-2001, 12:35 PM
Long live the KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FarWestChicago
09-04-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Long live the KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy absolutely kills me. He has a gift for announcer goofball speech.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2001, 01:51 PM
I nominate this as The Greatest Thread Ever Created at White Sox Interactive.

The King is one of a kind!

FarWestChicago
09-04-2001, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I nominate this as The Greatest Thread Ever Created at White Sox Interactive.

The King is one of a kind!

I'll second that nomination!! And I'm gonna stick the thread!

KingXerxes
09-04-2001, 02:12 PM
I am honored gentlemen - Thank you.

danman31
09-04-2001, 09:37 PM
That was some good stuff. I say King should be changed from WSI Regular to WSI Comedian. Just a thought.

Jerry_Manuel
09-04-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by danman31
That was some good stuff. I say King should be changed from WSI Regular to WSI Comedian. Just a thought.

WSI Announcer sounds better to me.

:carter
I don't like it.

delben91
09-05-2001, 10:51 AM
LMAO!!! Man, I'd been in and out for a few days and missed this thread, this is some hilarious stuff. Thanks King, makes going to class today a little more tolerable!

:)

Nellsin
09-05-2001, 08:16 PM
I was at the game on Monday and did not hear the broadcast -- when I started reading the post I thought it was an actual transcript. He's got Farmio's speech quirks down, "does the King" . . . . hilarious.

KingXerxes
09-10-2001, 11:55 AM

"Ya know DeeJay........I get e-mails all the time asking me why this and why that, and although I know all the reasons why things happen the way they do, because I've been around this game for the past forty years or so, I realize that sometimes it's a lot easier to say what should have happened than to try and second guess what did happen, because I don't have to gird my loins and get out there anymore and actually do it.....Mercy!.......so this time DeeJay I'm gonna let you answer the questions from our fans....."

"What?"

"Yessir.........I think it's time that I let you spread your wings a smidge up here and start answerin' some of this e-mail we've been getting..........Look! Here's one that asks - 'Now why in the hell would Royce Clayton be trying to steal third with two outs in the eighth of a one run ballgame?'"

"Well because Royce Clayton is a big fu....:

"I think I should take that one Hawk. Here's Clayton.....Rocker on the mound....Third base.......Before the game I'm sure that Gary Redus sat down with all the basestealers - not all the baserunners, you're not going to see Paul Konerko try and run you out of an inning, although sometimes you might depending upon the situation - well so Redus before every game will sit down with all the basestealers and go through situational exercises with each individual, and before this game he - Redus - have to have told him - Clayton - to watch for a sign from him - Redus again - if the pitcher, who happened to be John Rocker this time, was in trouble due to a throwing error. My feeling is that the execution of this aspect of the play - and that's what this is folks, a play.....like a football play, not a Broadway play, although I guess if the Yankees, or the Mets for that matter, all went out after an afternoon game and had a pick-up game in mid-town Manhattan they very well could have a Broadway play....on Broadway Avenue - well anyway the signaling aspect of the play went flawlessly between coach and player. So then what went wrong Ed? That's what you folks may be - or should be - thinking. Well I walked the field before the game with Nardi Contreras, and we were talking about the fact that I put the arm on an advertiser to get a new set of Ping irons, when I noticed that there was a beer cup sitting at the top row of an otherwise empty rightfield bleacher, it looked just like a regular beer cup that the maintenance guys forgot to pick up from yesterday's game - Now I'm not knocking the maintenance guys, especially the Comiskey Park maintenance guys....they do a good job, and are often not given the amount of credit which they deserve around all of the major leagues - so I said to Nardi 'Look - they missed a beer cup.' and he says 'Oh.' That's it folks - just 'Oh!', so let's fast forward to the top of the eighth with Gary Redus flashing the predetermined "John Rocker is in trouble due to a throwing error, steal third on the next pitch" sign, which Royce Clayton did a good job picking up. It is now, however, that I start suspecting that the innocent beer cup, was really something more than it appeared to be. My guess is that some sort of camera was placed inside the beer cup - now I'm not accusing anybody here, but if you stick around this game long enough you'll see everything - and this hidden camera must have stolen the signal, relayed the message to Herb Score in the broadcast booth, and he subtlely positioned his scorecard "just so" that when Rocker looked up at Score - Herb Score not the score....hopefully he knew what the score was - he saw that the Sox had a play on. Good defense - maybe you could call it that if you're a casual observer - but if you ask me, you've got to make a statement the very next inning out there on the mound. Let the Indians know that they're going to pay a dear price at the plate for stealing your signs - if I were pitching, the first batter up would be hitting the deck. That's how I did it."

"Yessir.......put them on their backsides, and force them to get back in there and cinch it up and not spit out the bit. Nobody would understand that better than Ol' Herb Score himself - God rest his soul."

"But Herb Score isn't dead - he's right over there doing the game for Cleveland radio."

"If I was pitching, and Herb Score was leading off the next inning - I'd throw at him, I'd throw at his entire listening audience....that's what I'd do."

Paulwny
09-10-2001, 01:08 PM
Another great job King !!!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-10-2001, 01:13 PM
LMAO! The King rules!!!