PDA

View Full Version : AP: Sox fans riot weekly

MarqSox
01-02-2004, 08:34 AM
:angry:

JULY 13

A major slump by the Twins pushes them 7 games behind upstart Kansas City in the AL Central race. Hundreds of White Sox fans participate in their weekly celebratory riot in Chicago.
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/7573462.htm

This trash was written by Dave Campbell, The Associated Press' Minnesota sports editor. He can be reached at dcampbell@ap.org

And if you think this is no big deal, let the record show that this article can be found on at least 10 different newspaper Web sites all around the country, and who knows how many actual papers it was printed in. If people are gonna talk smack about Sox fans, at least make it true stuff. :angry: :angry:

miker
01-02-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm looking for a new career. How about sports journalist? All I have to do is insult Sox fans, make up the rest of crap and hide behind the First Amendment.

boog_alou
01-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Come on, he was a poking a little fun at Sox fans who have very publicly gotten out of control a few times (granted it was very few fans). These kind of public incidents give Sox fans a bad name, and of course it is going to make them the butt of various journalists jokes for a while. Take it in stride. If Sox fans stay off the field throughout 2004, it will all be ancient history.

MarqSox
01-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by miker
I'm looking for a new career. How about sports journalist? All I have to do is insult Sox fans, make up the rest of crap and hide behind the First Amendment.
It's not THAT easy ... you also have to suck the tiny yet omnipresent wang of the Chicago Cubs.

miker
01-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
It's not THAT easy ... you also have to suck the tiny yet omnipresent wang of the Chicago Cubs.
I was trying to work "Cubune" and "kneepads" into my prior post...

MarqSox
01-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by boog_alou
Come on, he was a poking a little fun at Sox fans who have very publicly gotten out of control a few times (granted it was very few fans). These kind of public incidents give Sox fans a bad name, and of course it is going to make them the butt of various journalists jokes for a while. Take it in stride. If Sox fans stay off the field throughout 2004, it will all be ancient history.
No ... if he had said "Sox fans make their weekly attack on umpires" or something like that, I would have rolled my eyes and been annoyed, but that would have at least been kinda funny. To say we riot weekly ... when was the last time Sox fans engaged in anything even remotely resembling a riot? The Disco Demolition 25 years ago? Gimme a break.

We've got a bad enough reputation nationally as it is. We don't need to also be known as the fans who are always rioting, when we never actually do.

boog_alou
01-02-2004, 09:51 AM
No ... if he had said "Sox fans make their weekly attack on umpires" or something like that, I would have rolled my eyes and been annoyed, but that would have at least been kinda funny. To say we riot weekly ... when was the last time Sox fans engaged in anything even remotely resembling a riot? The Disco Demolition 25 years ago? Gimme a break.

We've got a bad enough reputation nationally as it is. We don't need to also be known as the fans who are always rioting, when we never actually do.
He said Sox fans had their "weekly celebratory riot". That was obvious hyperbole. Just a silly attempt at humor by exaggeration. Riots are huge things, which obviously no one does weekly, or even annually. That is why it was OBVIOUSLY just an attempt at humor. Do you think that ANYONE read that and thought "Boy, it really stinks that they are rioting all the time on the southside"?

MarqSox
01-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Do you think that ANYONE read that and thought "Boy, it really stinks that they are rioting all the time on the southside"?
Of course not. But I do think some people read that and thought "Huh. They must riot on the South Side relatively frequently."

I know it was a (poor) attempt at humor ... but it's just one more toothpick in the camel's back that is the reputation of Sox Fans.

jamteh
01-02-2004, 10:15 AM
I really could care less what the country thinks about us Sox fans. I know the truth, and that's all that matters. To be honest, I don't think anyone gives us a second thought. I certainly don't stay up at night thinking about what the Padres fans are like...

DrCrawdad
01-02-2004, 10:42 AM
:angry:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/7573462.htm

This trash was written by Dave Campbell, The Associated Press' Minnesota sports editor. He can be reached at dcampbell@ap.org

And if you think this is no big deal, let the record show that this article can be found on at least 10 different newspaper Web sites all around the country, and who knows how many actual papers it was printed in. If people are gonna talk smack about Sox fans, at least make it true stuff. :angry: :angry:

Dave Campbell is a ...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/7134.jpg

Hangar18
01-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Of course not. But I do think some people read that and thought "Huh. They must riot on the South Side relatively frequently."

I know it was a (poor) attempt at humor ... but it's just one more toothpick in the camel's back that is the reputation of Sox Fans.

Yup. I was in a non-descript bar ouside SanDiego, talking baseball with a couple of average, middle-aged guys, and from
what they heard in the cub loving media, was that people
get shot and robbed outside Comiskey all the time. Another guy wanted to know why SOX fans were running on the field all the time assaulting umpires. Took a good deal of explaining,
but if I hadnt been THERE to explain all of this.....they wouldve
just Gone on what the "Media" and all of their Kiley-isms were
saying about Sox Fans. I know what the reporter was Getting
at by saying we were "rioting in the streets". But this is what
we call in Yellow Journalism 101, as a PLANT, or a "KILEY-ISM".
Plant something that may not be necessarily true as a SECONDARY FACT, and write your story with something that you do know to be True, or your FIRST FACT. Because you Glossed
over the 2nd fact to get to the 1st Fact (the main story) people
immediately ASSUME that this must be true then. Theres
been a TON of that in regards to the Chicagos baseball teams.

Perfect example was the new "story" about how the entire city
and earth, was pulling for the cubs to win it, and interviewed
certain segments of the pop. to "prove" it. A certain Trib reporter Debunked that theory with a story Disproving this,
which we all heard about.

boog_alou
01-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yup. I was in a non-descript bar ouside SanDiego, talking baseball with a couple of average, middle-aged guys, and from
what they heard in the cub loving media, was that people
get shot and robbed outside Comiskey all the time. Another guy wanted to know why SOX fans were running on the field all the time assaulting umpires.
Did any of them think there were lots of (or any) riots on the southside? I know the media portrays an unfair view of Comiskey and the neighborhood surrounding it. But, my point is that this little comment about the "weekly celebratory riots" was merely a joke, pure satire, and not "journalism", per se. I understand how Sox fans can get sensitive to this kind of thing, but some jokes are just harmless jokes.

MarqSox
01-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Did any of them think there were lots of (or any) riots on the southside? I know the media portrays an unfair view of Comiskey and the neighborhood surrounding it. But, my point is that this little comment about the "weekly celebratory riots" was merely a joke, pure satire, and not "journalism", per se. I understand how Sox fans can get sensitive to this kind of thing, but some jokes are just harmless jokes.
It would be less disconcerting if this were a local writer in Duluth just taking a shot at the Sox. But this was an AP writer, and it appeared in literally dozens of papers all over the country. At that point, it becomes a little more than a harmless jab and enters the realm of irresponsible insult.

maurice
01-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Hundreds of White Sox fans participate in their weekly celebratory riot in Chicago.

This is libel!

Sox fans don't have "celebratory riots." That was Bulls fans in the '90s. What the heck do Sox fans have to celebrate?!?

:D:

Iwritecode
01-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by maurice
This is libel!

Sox fans don't have "celebratory riots." That was Bulls fans in the '90s. What the heck do Sox fans have to celebrate?!?

:D:

That's what I was thinking. What exactly is this guy talking about? Am I missing something here?

The only "celebratory riots" I remember at USCF were when the Sox beat the Cubs.

I don't remember celebrating or rioting any time the Twins lost...

boog_alou
01-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That's what I was thinking. What exactly is this guy talking about? Am I missing something here?

The only "celebratory riots" I remember at USCF were when the Sox beat the Cubs.

I don't remember celebrating or rioting any time the Twins lost...
Um, he wasn't reporting an incident. It was satire.

TornLabrum
01-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Let me try to turn this away from being a bitch session into something constructive. Was I on target when I said this to Dave Hoekstra (as quoted in the Reader?

I don't take kindly to seeing entire groups of people insulted for nothing more than a feeble attempt at humor...We took it day after day for months at a time."

The part he left out was that after awhile was Mary Kay Weir was quoted as saying:

Frustration about generalizations built throughout the year...You knew they were not real Sox fans, yet they were labled as Sox fans."

Does that express your feelings on the matter? If so, the big question, I guess, is how do those of us who are real Sox fans divorce ourselves from the idiots and improve our overall reputation?

miker
01-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
...how do those of us who are real Sox fans divorce ourselves from the idiots and improve our overall reputation?
It would be impossible to convince those who think so lowly of us already. They hardly acknowledge our right to exist.

MarqSox
01-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Let me try to turn this away from being a bitch session into something constructive. Was I on target when I said this to Dave Hoekstra (as quoted in the Reader?

The part he left out was that after awhile was Mary Kay Weir was quoted as saying:

Does that express your feelings on the matter? If so, the big question, I guess, is how do those of us who are real Sox fans divorce ourselves from the idiots and improve our overall reputation?
Yes, that expresses our (my) feelings on the matter.

If you have to unfairly insult a group of people in order to be funny, then you're by definition not funny.

fquaye149
01-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Um, he wasn't reporting an incident. It was satire.

right, but if it has no basis in reality, it's stupid. an analogy:

oprah lost fifty pounds, to celebrate, brad pitt smoked crack as usual.

perhaps i'm just trying to make a joke, but why say that? no basis in reality, on which satire is based.

jordan23ventura
01-02-2004, 08:00 PM

It would be less disconcerting if this were a local writer in Duluth just taking a shot at the Sox. But this was an AP writer, and it appeared in literally dozens of papers all over the country. At that point, it becomes a little more than a harmless jab and enters the realm of irresponsible insult.

Does anybody care about Minnesota? The term "Minnesota sports journalist" is already insulting enough. How ashamed his mother must be.

At least our fans are diehard enough to attack an umpire and numerous enough to start a riot.

By the way, I am the only one that thinks Doug Mientkiewicz or whatever his name is sucks beyond belief?

TornLabrum
01-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
At least our fans are diehard enough to attack an umpire and numerous enough to start a riot.

The person who attacked the umpire is a self-admitted Cubs fan.

DrCrawdad
01-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Yes, that expresses our (my) feelings on the matter.

If you have to unfairly insult a group of people in order to be funny, then you're by definition not funny.

It's acceptable in the (small) minds of many people to malign Sox fans. Try doing that to Cubbie fans, see if it gets printed.

MarqSox
01-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
In case any of the anti-Sox media (is that redundant?) is lurking ... this man does not speak for us. The 99.9% of Sox fans who are actually sane don't condone umpire attacking nor rioting, except in fictional fantasies involving World Series victories.