PDA

View Full Version : Aurilia to sign with Mariners

gosox41
01-02-2004, 06:31 AM
According to ESPN he's going to get a 1 year $4 mil. contract.

One less team the on an already short list that would take Valentin and his $5 mill. off the Sox hands.

Bob

soxfan26
01-02-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
According to ESPN he's going to get a 1 year $4 mil. contract.

One less team the on an already short list that would take Valentin and his $5 mill. off the Sox hands.

Bob

The report comes from the Seattle Post Intelligencer Story (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/154926_rich01.html)

In the story it says that the M's first have to move Guillen's (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=6105) salary.

The source said the Mariners would be willing to take prospects for Guillen.

I think the Sox should not pass this up. If the M's are willing to take prospects it is worth a risk to pick him up and then trade Valentin.

hold2dibber
01-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
The report comes from the Seattle Post Intelligencer Story (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/154926_rich01.html)

In the story it says that the M's first have to move Guillen's (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=6105) salary.

I think the Sox should not pass this up. If the M's are willing to take prospects it is worth a risk to pick him up and then trade Valentin.

Why? It's not like Guillen's that good. I would have been willing to make a deal sending Jose and others to Seattle for Guillen and Garcia, because I think the Sox are so desperate for pitching, but I'd rather have Jose than Guillen if you're just comparing the two.

soxfan26
01-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why? It's not like Guillen's that good. I would have been willing to make a deal sending Jose and others to Seattle for Guillen and Garcia, because I think the Sox are so desperate for pitching, but I'd rather have Jose than Guillen if you're just comparing the two.

I'm not comparing the two, but the M's are willing to deal Guillen for prospects, and he makes $2.5m less than Valentin.

Then you can turn around and deal Valentin for pitching. Since the M's are so close to signing Aurilia, any deal that included Valentin is dead with Seattle, but there are teams lining up for Guillen, if we snatch Guillen we can turn the teams interest to Valentin and trade him and possibly another for that SP help.

Just trying to make something out of nothing. This offseason has my mind wandering in strange directions...

TheRockinMT
01-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Jose Valentin is good for the Sox and plays SS as well as most in the league. I was intrigued with the idea we were looking at Garciapara from the Bosox, but that looks very remote at best so I am happy that Jose is here for '04. We are too critical of our own. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Foulke You
01-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
I'm not comparing the two, but the M's are willing to deal Guillen for prospects, and he makes $2.5m less than Valentin.

Then you can turn around and deal Valentin for pitching. Since the M's are so close to signing Aurilia, any deal that included Valentin is dead with Seattle, but there are teams lining up for Guillen, if we snatch Guillen we can turn the teams interest to Valentin and trade him and possibly another for that SP help.

Just trying to make something out of nothing. This offseason has my mind wandering in strange directions...

The only problem with this theory is that once a proposed Sox deal is made for Carlos Guillen, the already small market for Jose Valentin would shrink because the other teams will know we have to deal him. As it stands, we probably couldn't get much in a trade involving Jose except salary relief. If we traded for a $2.5 million shortstop before dealing Valentin, the trading partners would probably increase demands like having the Sox pay part of Valentin's salary thus eliminating the point in making the trade anyways.

At this point, I think Valentin is our best option at SS since the Nomar deal died. One other thing that I was thinking about the other day is that if Valentin was traded our already right handed heavy lineup becomes even more right handed as Jose is our only real lefty power threat.

joecrede
01-02-2004, 03:38 PM
I think Aurellia getting $4M on the open market is pretty good evidence that the Sox did the right thing by picking up Valentin's $5M option.

itchy
01-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I think Aurellia getting $4M on the open market is pretty good evidence that the Sox did the right thing by picking up Valentin's $5M option.

I agree -- we would have been forced into a bidding war for the few other available SS. We have won fewer bidding wars than WS!!

MHOUSE
01-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Aurellia is a better SS than Valentin and is apparently $1 million cheaper. Isn't he obviously a better option?

RichH55
01-04-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Aurellia is a better SS than Valentin and is apparently $1 million cheaper. Isn't he obviously a better option?

Short answer and Long Answer is No

gosox41
01-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

Phil Rogers mentioned Jose in his column today. Said he is only hitting left handed and is batting like .215 in Puerto Rico.

Bob

Brian26
01-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Phil Rogers mentioned Jose in his column today. Said he is only hitting left handed and is batting like .215 in Puerto Rico.

Bob

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

What a sad offseason this has become.