PDA

View Full Version : A game..without prizes

gosox41
01-02-2004, 06:30 AM
30 days until SoxFest. Nothing has happened this winter other then Uribe. So let's guess what token move the Sox are going to make on the Friday of Sox fest to get the fans excited. It can be a trade or free agent signing. The winner gets absolutely nothing other then getting credit for being able to guess what is going through KW and KR's head.

My guess is Urbina. though I'm hoping for Ponson.

Bob

Baby Fisk
01-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Stadium seats to be painted green.

boog_alou
01-02-2004, 09:58 AM
My guess is that it will be an Ordonez trade. This obviously won't be tremendously popular with Sox fans, but I think it is necessary. It is pretty obvious that big contract(s) need to be moved for financial reasons. And, I think the big trade needs to come before signing any multi-million dollar free agents, because it would be risky to sign FA's first. Kenny really doesn't know how much money he has to spend on FA's until he finds out how much money he frees up with a trade (which will depend on the contracts he takes back in the trade). So, I predict an Ordonez trade to LA or Anaheim, probably followed quickly by one or more low-to-mid level FA signings.

miker
01-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by boog_alou
So, I predict an Ordonez trade to LA or Anaheim, probably followed quickly by one or more low-to-mid level FA signings.
Ah, White Flag II - the low-budget sequel!

mike squires
01-02-2004, 10:52 AM
No big move this year for the Sox. I realize the last two years Knny has surprised us with deals but with budget constraints and all. Maggs will still be with the Sox and fans and he'll get the loudest cheers of all. I wish I could be ther to hear the abuse Williams will get there.

boog_alou
01-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
No big move this year for the Sox. I realize the last two years Knny has surprised us with deals but with budget constraints and all. Maggs will still be with the Sox and fans and he'll get the loudest cheers of all. I wish I could be ther to hear the abuse Williams will get there.
The Sox are about $4 million OVER budget right now. They'll need to make a big move (by trading away a big contract) just to get under budget. I think you can count on Lee, Maggs or Konerko being traded, with one of the first two being the most likely.

OAK LAWN SOX FAN
01-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Perhaps the announcment of Rhibbi and Rhubarb II ?

JRIG
01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Chicago Sun-Times; January 31, 2004

Sox Sign Mesa
Proven Closer Added to Bolster Bullpen

In front of a ballroom full of White Sox fans, Sox GM Kenny Williams announced yesterday the team has signed closer Jose Mesa to a three year deal.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed, but the Sun-Times has learned Mesa will make $4.25 million in 2004 with incentives that could make the deal worth $6.4 million. Insiders put the total contract package at about $16 million.

"Any time you can add a proven closer to your bullpen, you have to do it," Williams said after addressing fans at SoxFest. "Mesa is a guy we've had our eyes on for a long time. After all, he in an ex-Indian from the 90s. [Mesa] finally entered our budget picture this offseason, and we couldn't be more thrilled to add him to our team."

Mesa, 38, was 5-7 last year with the Philadelphia Phillies. He had a 6.52 ERA but most importantly had 24 saves. As recently as 2002 Mesa saved 45 games for the Phillies. He has 249 saves in his 15-year MLB career including a career-high 46 saves with the Indians in 1996.

"If there's one stat in baseball worth every penny spent, it's saves," said Williams. "You just can't find guys anywhere who can save 30 games for a team. Jose is a guy with a great fastball and the true closer's mentality. He's a grinder. A guy who won't crack under the pressure of a three-run ninth inning lead."

New White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was very pleased to have added Mesa in his retooled bullpen, which is expected to feature Jose Santiago and Billy Koch.

"Jose is a guy I always struggled with when I was in the batter's box. Of course, who didn't I struggle against when I was in the big leagues?" Guillen added as reporters chuckled.

The rumors floating around SoxFest also had the Sox targeting another ex-Philles closer, Mike Williams. Williams had 28 saves last year and was an NL All Star with the Pirates.

"I can't comment on rumors," Williams said, "although I will say any time you can add a proven all-star closer it's something you have to take a long look at."

MarkEdward
01-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Sox Sign Mesa

Damn, this seems too close to the truth. I can already hear Kenny giving those type of quotes. Spot on.

hold2dibber
01-02-2004, 03:23 PM
New White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was very pleased to have added Mesa in his retooled bullpen, which is expected to feature Jose Santiago and Billy Koch.

"Jose is a guy I always struggled with when I was in the batter's box. Of course, who didn't I struggle against when I was in the big leagues?" Guillen added as reporters chuckled.

Without prompting of any sort, Guillen then added "And I'll tell you another thing, I only wish Frank could be the kind of teammate that Jose is and play the game right like Jose Mesa. If Frank doesn't play the game my way, I'll put Mesa in at DH and Frank can sit on the bench. Mesa can lay down the sacrifice bunt and if Frank can't, he's going to be riding the pine."

gosox41
01-03-2004, 07:18 AM

Sox Sign Mesa

In front of a ballroom full of White Sox fans, Sox GM Kenny Williams announced yesterday the team has signed closer Jose Mesa to a three year deal.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed, but the Sun-Times has learned Mesa will make $4.25 million in 2004 with incentives that could make the deal worth $6.4 million. Insiders put the total contract package at about $16 million.

"Any time you can add a proven closer to your bullpen, you have to do it," Williams said after addressing fans at SoxFest. "Mesa is a guy we've had our eyes on for a long time. After all, he in an ex-Indian from the 90s. [Mesa] finally entered our budget picture this offseason, and we couldn't be more thrilled to add him to our team."

Mesa, 38, was 5-7 last year with the Philadelphia Phillies. He had a 6.52 ERA but most importantly had 24 saves. As recently as 2002 Mesa saved 45 games for the Phillies. He has 249 saves in his 15-year MLB career including a career-high 46 saves with the Indians in 1996.

"If there's one stat in baseball worth every penny spent, it's saves," said Williams. "You just can't find guys anywhere who can save 30 games for a team. Jose is a guy with a great fastball and the true closer's mentality. He's a grinder. A guy who won't crack under the pressure of a three-run ninth inning lead."

The rumors floating around SoxFest also had the Sox targeting another ex-Philles closer, Mike Williams. Williams had 28 saves last year and was an NL All Star with the Pirates.

"I can't comment on rumors," Williams said, "although I will say any time you can add a proven all-star closer it's something you have to take a long look at."

LMAO because I can see it happening.

Bob

CubKilla
01-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by boog_alou
My guess is that it will be an Ordonez trade.

Why would they save announcing an Ordonez trade until the opening of SoxFest? Announcing the trade of Ordonez would be the worst possible thing this Organization could do to Sox fans considering KW himself said that if Ordonez is traded it will be hard, given the current baseball climate, for the Sox to acquire players worthy of Magglio's talent and numbers. KW is already in the crosshairs of many Sox fans. Why would he paint a bullseye on his face to further the furor?

My guess is no announcement will be made this year.

Jjav829
01-03-2004, 04:10 PM
The signing of Denny Hocking. :smile:

Maybe that's what the delay is of the Cliff Politte signing...

soxwon
01-03-2004, 04:36 PM
I KNOW IT WILL BE SIGNING OF GREG MADDUX, JR-KW
have something big up there sleeve, its MADDUX
JR HATES THE CUBS he will try his best to sign GM,
you heard it here first
da rev

CubKilla
01-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
JR HATES THE CUBS

Too bad JR isn't acting like it this offseason.

:reinsy

"Chicago has always been and will always be a Cubs town."