PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest 04

starboy0
01-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Hello Sox fans,

I haven't been to a Soxfest before and just ordered my 3-day pass. Do they publish an official schedule of events somewhere before that weekend?

I'm wondering typically how long the sessions go (get a room Friday and Saturday?), and which ones are must sees, is one day better than another, etc.

Thanks!

Bob

Brian26
01-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Everything seems to be up in the air right now because the official "seminars" haven't been announced yet, and we really don't know which big stars will still be on the team at the end of January. Last year Hawk and DJ hosted a bunch of Q & A sessions with some old players (Baines, Kittle, Dotson, Carlos May, Bucky Dent, Rollie Hemond) where they basically told old stories and bs'd and then took some questions from fans in the crowd. I found those to be really enjoyable. I can never get enough Hawk/Yaz stories, but that's just me. Last year I went all 3 days and had a great time...if you want to get autographs from all of the big stars, the way the schedule is set up, you may have to get the 3-day pass.

They do offer a schedule of events about a week before...so keep an eye out for that.

mike squires
01-01-2004, 10:44 PM
I've gone the last few years and it's a blast. Lots of waiting in lines. THe way they often have it set up is they have the same seminar twice...once on saturday and once on Sunday. They do the same thing with the autograph sessions. SO that helps you do both if that is what you want. It's hard to do everything. I wanted Bucky's autograph but was unable to do it. Make sure you take a quick second to look at the "garage sale" I found my green seat plate from old Comiskey with the numbers on it and all for only 10 bucks. Got 18 1983 players on it over the summer. IT's one of my favorite pieces of Whitesox memorbillia. If you arrive early you can usually catch a lot of the players entering the hotel. Most are usually happy to sign. I got Kittle, Farmer and several others before the thing even started. You can also get many after the seminars. I got Hawk, Kenny Williams, Baines, Kittle and Dotson after seminars. I had several funny conversations with them as well. One was with Kenny. I handed him his 89 upper deck card and said what was that a laazy fly ball to center? He put his shades on looked at it real close and said, "What are you talking about, are you crazy? That was a double to right center. Enjoy yourself!

pksangel4ever1
01-02-2004, 12:16 AM
My first time going was last year and I went 1 day. It was the best thing in the world. I even caught Josh Paul after he was done signing and he gave me and my friends autographs and we hung out for a while.. it was great! I managed to get many autoraphs, paulie, buehrle, rowand, willie harris, joe crede, jon garland and joe borchard.. it was crazy yet fun! I have the hotel package this year.. it was a present.. i am so happy! Well enjoy and have fun! :)

mike squires
01-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Welcome aboard to both of you. :)

ewokpelts
01-02-2004, 01:54 AM
i dont go for the autographs anymore...just seminars and goofin off...but it's always a good show, even if the team isnt....
Gene

Iwritecode
01-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by starboy0
Hello Sox fans,

I haven't been to a Soxfest before and just ordered my 3-day pass. Do they publish an official schedule of events somewhere before that weekend?

I'm wondering typically how long the sessions go (get a room Friday and Saturday?), and which ones are must sees, is one day better than another, etc.

Thanks!

Bob

IMO, the hotel package is definetly the way to go. That way you can spend all day at Soxfest and then all night at the bar in the hotel with fellow Sox fans. Then get up early the next morning to get in line and do it all over agian.

That's one thing to remember, if there is an autograph session early in the morning for a bigger name player that you really want to get to, you have to get there very early. Like 5 - 6 AM. The lines start building up very early and very quickly. At least they did last year...

mike squires
01-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Yes, They line up early for the big name players (Frank, Maggs) The hotel package is awesome. You get a private autograph signing with the pkg. IT's still a two hour wait but still cool. Last year it was Konerko and Baines. You also get to go to the party. 2 years ago Ritchie, Wuncsh, Rowand and others sat at the table next to me drinking beer. And there was Harold all by himself drinking water. Borchard also kept to himself not really hanging out with the players. Hawk is always there too. HEll, I even got Herm Schnieder's autograph. I'll never forget it. He took my ticket stub and asked with a straight face, "anywhere in particular?" They also hand out at the atrium bar at night. I wouldn't waste my time on the lesser known players and older stars. They'll be at the bar that night...get it then.

Hangar18
01-02-2004, 12:07 PM
I go for the Merchandise. And to meet as many of my fellow
Sox Fans as Possible. Then I stay for the Pie

Iwritecode
01-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Yes, They line up early for the big name players (Frank, Maggs) The hotel package is awesome. You get a private autograph signing with the pkg. IT's still a two hour wait but still cool. Last year it was Konerko and Baines. You also get to go to the party. 2 years ago Ritchie, Wuncsh, Rowand and others sat at the table next to me drinking beer. And there was Harold all by himself drinking water. Borchard also kept to himself not really hanging out with the players. Hawk is always there too. HEll, I even got Herm Schnieder's autograph. I'll never forget it. He took my ticket stub and asked with a straight face, "anywhere in particular?" They also hand out at the atrium bar at night. I wouldn't waste my time on the lesser known players and older stars. They'll be at the bar that night...get it then.

Wow, I completely forgot about the private autograph session and party. Probably because I didn't get my tickets early enough last year to go. I think it's limited to the first 250? hotel packages. I got my tickets a lot earlier this year so hopfully I can go this time.

Brian26
01-02-2004, 02:24 PM
They'll be at the bar that night...get it then.

Because there's nothing like getting a drunken Richard Dotson to slober on and smear your autographed ball.

mike squires
01-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Because there's nothing like getting a drunken Richard Dotson to slober on and smear your autographed ball.

IT's funny Brian. I remembered your post when I saw him at the 83 ceremony. While he was signing a lady asked him about SOxfest and how she couldn't find him or something. I said, "You should have been at the bar. Dot didn't look up or say anything though.

mike squires
01-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I go for the Merchandise. And to meet as many of my fellow
Sox Fans as Possible. Then I stay for the Pie

Yah Hanger, I'll never forget meeting you and seeing yu for the first time, seeing you sitting with that blonde at the bar...

HITMEN OF 77
01-02-2004, 03:05 PM
OK, you guys about have me hooked on flying there for this. Is there a special link I should go to for the hotel package? Just take a cab from O Hare to the hotel right? There are older players there too? Everyone wears all there sox gear to this? I'm going to start shopping airline tickets now.

Iwritecode
01-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
OK, you guys about have me hooked on flying there for this. Is there a special link I should go to for the hotel package?

Just call up the Hyatt Regency 1-800 # for reservations and tell them what you want. I don't think you can make them online.

Just take a cab from O Hare to the hotel right?

That's what I would do...

There are older players there too?

Yep. Even some not-so-old players like Jack McDowell(sp?) last year.

Everyone wears all there sox gear to this?

It looks a lot like a Sox game. A sea of silver and black.

Hangar18
01-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Yah Hanger, I'll never forget meeting you and seeing yu for the first time, seeing you sitting with that blonde at the bar...

Shhhhhhhh :smile:

HITMEN OF 77
01-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Forgot to ask this. What are the times on thsi. I need to know whether I can fly out Sunday after this is over and get home in a decent hour.

Hangar18
01-02-2004, 03:24 PM
OK, you guys about have me hooked on flying there for this. Is there a special link I should go to for the hotel package? Just take a cab from O Hare to the hotel right? There are older players there too? Everyone wears all there sox gear to this? I'm going to start shopping airline tickets now.

IF you make Reservations at the Hyatt Regency, they give you
Passes for the Whole Weekends SoxFest. ALso, taking a
Cab will Cost you a MINT. Take the "L", the terminal runs
right to O'Hare. You'll be on the BlueLine and get off at Washington. Come upstairs, you'll be downtown, THEN
catch a cab over to the Hyatt. Save the Loot for Beer and
Merchandise, and yeah, its like being at Comiskey, everyones
got jerseys, caps, shirts on .....everything SOX.
There will be a very Big Number of WSI'ers at the Atrium Bar
Sat nite after SoxFest closes....so you'll get to put a Name to
the Faces :gulp:

Hangar18
01-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Forgot to ask this. What are the times on thsi. I need to know whether I can fly out Sunday after this is over and get home in a decent hour.

Sunday always ends early....like around 3pm. Be ready
to buy Merchandise, theres so much of it for SALE there.....
I end up with a Jersey every year Im there, and hats, and pins
and anything else that Tweaks my Eye SOX related.....

Iwritecode
01-02-2004, 03:30 PM

I think checkout is around 3? Not entirely sure about that. I don't remember the exact times but it gets over fairly early on Sunday afternoon. 4 or 5 at the latest I think.

HITMEN OF 77
01-02-2004, 04:43 PM
So step out of baggage claim and catch the L to Washington? Sorry it's been a long while since I've been to Chicago or home to Kankakee. I'm checking flight plans now. I guess I can get out of Chicago Sunday night, I'll book a 8ish flight.

mike squires
01-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Man, I wish I could be there this year!!!! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. These babies just cost too much. Maybe next year. Someone will have to get me an autograph ball from Ozzie. The life that I once knew is over. :D:

ewokpelts
01-02-2004, 05:52 PM

Hitmen,

There's info on the Sox homepage (www.whitesox.com) on how to order the hotel package. If you call the hyatt number, mention the sox fest deal. You can take a trainn ride downtown, and then a cab to the hotel. I'd recommend the blue line to clark/lake. More info can be found at www.transitchicago.com . And yes, you can wear your sox stuff to teh show. You're among brothers.
GENE

Soxdude
01-02-2004, 11:48 PM
If anyone is interested in sneaking in...let me know because I know a back entrance....

HITMEN OF 77
01-03-2004, 01:27 AM
My nickname is "The Back Door Man" :D:

gosox41
01-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by starboy0
Hello Sox fans,

Thanks!

Bob

Is anyone going to Sox fest at least going to let their frustration with this team be known?? Or is it just going to be anbother feel good session as the Sox announce the signing of an over the hill free agent, KW talks about being aggressive and staying within budget, PK and Koch talk about all the extra conditioning they did to make up for last seasonand Ozzie speaks about how this is his team and all the Sox fans are going to whoop it up over the same old answers?

My favorite is when people stand in line at the initial question/answer session and ask softball sized questions.

As of right now I have no plans to go to Sox fest unless I hear something exciting like a good protest is going on.

Bob

Hangar18
01-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Is anyone going to Sox fest at least going to let their frustration with this team be known?? Or is it just going to be anbother feel good session as the Sox announce the signing of an over the hill free agent, KW talks about being aggressive and staying within budget, PK and Koch talk about all the extra conditioning they did to make up for last seasonand Ozzie speaks about how this is his team and all the Sox fans are going to whoop it up over the same old answers?

My favorite is when people stand in line at the initial question/answer session and ask softball sized questions.

As of right now I have no plans to go to Sox fest unless I hear something exciting like a good protest is going on.

Bob

Of Course, I think we talked about this in another Thread.
Im going to make a bunch of signs for people, I'll get to the
Atrium Bar fairly early, and people can meet me and we'll
go thru our gameplan.
Hell Yeah. Im Unearthing my
CUT PAYROLL TRADE REINSDORF SIGN again. that sign
never seem to go out of style. We NEED to show up
to the Opening Ceremonies, Quietly Holding these signs,
because Reporters are there, and they will DEFINITELY
Mention this. It will be our only chance for 2months before
OPening Day to make a "statement" because the Mighty CubPoganda Machine will pretty Much Run Unchecked
for February and March of 04

CubKilla
01-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Is anyone going to Sox fest at least going to let their frustration with this team be known?? Or is it just going to be anbother feel good session

My frustration will be channeled through by NOT going. Why should me and a few friends of mine spend about $100 each on food, lodging, tickets, and drinks for the weekend when all we have to spend is $50? Voicing your frustration will do no good and JR, I'm betting, won't be there after the disappointment that this offseason has been thus far. And though I'm not a fan of his, I feel sorry for KW because the majority of the wrath from the true White Sox faithful will be misplaced upon him.

TornLabrum
01-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
My frustration will be channeled through by NOT going. Why should me and a few friends of mine spend about $100 each on food, lodging, tickets, and drinks for the weekend when all we have to spend is $50? Voicing your frustration will do no good and JR, I'm betting, won't be there after the disappointment that this offseason has been thus far. And though I'm not a fan of his, I feel sorry for KW because the majority of the wrath from the true White Sox faithful will be misplaced upon him.

I don't know. Uncle Jer has been there every year that I can recall. I think he's just brazen enough to show up this year, too.

CubKilla
01-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I don't know. Uncle Jer has been there every year that I can recall. I think he's just brazen enough to show up this year, too.

I saw him there last year. I don't recall seeing him there the year before. Maybe I just missed him. I was shocked to see him there last year but Sox fans were excited in Jan. of '03 with the acquisition of Colon et al. '04? I hope he doesn't expect a king's reception with no offseason moves, higher ticket prices, etc.

TornLabrum
01-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I saw him there last year. I don't recall seeing him there the year before. Maybe I just missed him. I was shocked to see him there last year but Sox fans were excited in Jan. of '03 with the acquisition of Colon et al. '04? I hope he doesn't expect a king's reception with no offseason moves, higher ticket prices, etc.

If he does come, I'll bet that if he talks to anyone in the media, he'll use the same story he told after the White Flag Trade, the ones where all the fans were giving him the "thumbs up" signal. Well, he was right about one thing. The fans were sticking up one of their digits.

steff
01-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Of Course, I think we talked about this in another Thread.
Im going to make a bunch of signs for people, I'll get to the
Atrium Bar fairly early, and people can meet me and we'll
go thru our gameplan.
Hell Yeah. Im Unearthing my
CUT PAYROLL TRADE REINSDORF SIGN again. that sign
never seem to go out of style. We NEED to show up
to the Opening Ceremonies, Quietly Holding these signs,
because Reporters are there, and they will DEFINITELY
Mention this. It will be our only chance for 2months before
OPening Day to make a "statement" because the Mighty CubPoganda Machine will pretty Much Run Unchecked
for February and March of 04

Please do not bring your signs to where we (Jim and I) will be at the bar. I don't think it's appropriate as there will be people affiliated with the Sox with us. And quite honestly.. I don't think they would appreciate it.

Brian26
01-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by steff
Please do not bring your signs to where we (Jim and I) will be at the bar. I don't think it's appropriate as there will be people affiliated with the Sox with us. And quite honestly.. I don't think they would appreciate it.

And to be quite honest, it will look really, really gay. A bunch of guys holding up funky cardboard signs with bad crayola marker writing on them...that's not a good way to get your point across. Just chill out in the bar and write Reinsdorf a letter later on. The first round is on me, Hangar.

Bucktown
01-06-2004, 11:47 PM
I am going to be there on Friday. I am thinking about wearing my WSI shir with my handle printed on the back so I can meet up with you folks. Is that gay?

I won't be protesting.