PDA

View Full Version : Sox Must Sign I-Rod ......

Hangar18
12-31-2003, 10:52 AM
In order to save face in this City, and with its FanBase.
The Marlins signed Pudge last year, when they clearly needed
pitching. If the SOX allow him to sign up north, we are
Clearly Clearly In trouble. There is nothing worse in this
city than bad Sox team and a good cubs team. i dont think
ive said that in 20 years. SIGN PUDGE

Brian26
12-31-2003, 11:00 AM
I-Rod's due to sign a giant contract and then get hurt or bat .225 with 8 homers. I'd really stay away from him until his contract demands come WAY down. He's not worth the risk, especially given our budget restraints. He's the last guy we can afford to go after. The move would make absolutely no sense. Are we going to try to make our team better or prevent a team not even in our division from getting better? We can't worry about the Cubs at this point...we have to worry about ourselves. And I-Rod doesn't help us, unless he can pitch or play second base.

Northside fan
12-31-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Hangar,
WHAT is this OBSESSION you have with the Cubs and the media? First off, there is NO WAY in hell that the Sox will sign I-Rod. Secondly, the Cubs do not need to sign him to win the pennant next year..If the Cubs sign him, great. But they already have(with the Phillies being a close second) the best team in the National League. I can understand your frustration but be realistic.

surfdudes
12-31-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Hangar,
WHAT is this OBSESSION you have with the Cubs and the media? First off, there is NO WAY in hell that the Sox will sign I-Rod. Secondly, the Cubs do not need to sign him to win the pennant next year..If the Cubs sign him, great. But they already have(with the Phillies being a close second) the best team in the National League. I can understand your frustration but be realistic.

Uhhh, Hanger is just looking for one bright spot in a dismal offseason so far.
Uhhh, the media was and is rampantly biased to the North.
Uhhh, the Cubs have the best team in the National League sounds like everyone after they went up 3 -1 on the Marlins.
Uhhh, the Cubs don't need to sign I-rod next year to win the pennant.... they only have to overcome years of mediocracy and
the historical fact that rarely, in the last 100 or so years, do they compile back to back winning seasons.

Ozzie is undefeated as manager.................

Soxdude
12-31-2003, 12:02 PM
All I can say is standing pat and developing pitchers are all we should do right now. Sidney Ponson? Well make a run at him, but don't base the whole season around a #2...

CubKilla
12-31-2003, 12:46 PM
While IRod would be an incredible signing, we are more in need of a CF, a 2B, one or two SP's, and a few BP arms.

Reinsdorf's pennies are better spent addressing those areas of the White Sox and not the C position.

Baby Fisk
12-31-2003, 12:46 PM
naaah, this is a panic move. The Flubs are going to be the Dud of 2004. If the Sox can shore up the pitching situation, and KW works his mojo (eventually), it is conceiveable that the Sox could be the only Chicago team in the playoffs next year. Happy New Year all.

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
12-31-2003, 01:07 PM
Hangar:

I love you man as a loyal Sox fan but please....your post should have been in deep pink.

First it was 'sign Little Matsui'... now it's 'sign I-Rod....'

It's not going to happen...not today, not tomorrow not ever with this organization.

Sorry.

Lip

MarqSox
12-31-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hangar:

I love you man as a loyal Sox fan but please....your post should have been in deep pink.

It's not going to happen...not today, not tomorrow not ever with this organization.

Sorry.

Lip
I really hate agreeing with Lip. I mean, ever.

jabrch
12-31-2003, 01:31 PM
Hangar:

Sorry.

Lip

Lip,

We signed Albert Belle. It is not like JR has NEVER signed big talent. I-Rod won't happen cuz we are trying to develop Olivo into a regular catcher. I-Rod won't happen cuz he wants 4 years @ 10mm per. I-Rod won't happen cuz it makes no sense. It has nothing to do with "this organization"

hold2dibber
12-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Lip,

We signed Albert Belle. It is not like JR has NEVER signed big talent. I-Rod won't happen cuz we are trying to develop Olivo into a regular catcher. I-Rod won't happen cuz he wants 4 years @ 10mm per. I-Rod won't happen cuz it makes no sense. It has nothing to do with "this organization"

I agree - but I still agree with Lip's assessment that Hangar is fooling himself if he thinks there's any chance that the Sox will make a big free agent signing this particular off season. It seems pretty apparent that that is not going to happen.

Lip Man 1
12-31-2003, 02:20 PM
Jab:

With respect you need to study your history a bit better. Uncle Jerry signed Albert for one reason and one reason only and that wasn't to improve the Sox.

He signed Belle to that (for then) outrageous deal simply to get revenge on his fellow owners who dared go against his wishes and ended the baseball labor impasse in 1995.

It was written as such in great lenght both locally and nationally at the time. Jay Mariotti for example got into a shall we say heated discussion with Uncle Jerry at the press conference over this point. The Sporting News also wrote about this belief and had comments from sources testifying to this.

Reinsdorf was one of the few (he may have been the only one) to vote 'no' when MLB owners voted to agree to settle the dispute and at least temporarily keep the status quo with the MLBPA.

Or let's put it another way, let's test your belief.

If Uncle Jerry really wanted to improve the Sox and 'go for it' (i.e. a World Championship, which is the phrase he used at the press conference in November 96) why did he 'White Flag' it only eight months after he signed him and only four months into the season with the Sox only 3 1/2 games out of first?

and perhaps more importantly why did he insist on the "out clause" in Belle's contract that let him become a free agent if the Sox didn't increase his salary by one million dollars? That seems like a small price to pay for a guy who blasted what? 48 home runs?????

This was proving a point in my opinion, pure and simple.

Vindictiveness has always been a watchword for him or as Uncle Jerry himself said (direct quote:) "I have never, ever given a guy a second chance to get even with me.”–Jerry Reinsdorf to Melissa Issacson. From the book Transition Game. Pg. 79 .

Uncle Jerry in this case, in my opinion was extracting his pound of flesh from his fellow owners by driving UP the salary scale and some owners still haven't forgiven him for it.

Lip

DrCrawdad
12-31-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by surfdudes
Uhhh, the Cubs have the best team in the National League sounds like everyone after they went up 3 -1 on the Marlins.
Uhhh, the Cubs don't need to sign I-rod next year to win the pennant.... they only have to overcome years of mediocracy and
the historical fact that rarely, in the last 100 or so years, do they compile back to back winning seasons.

FYI Northsidefan is a Cubbie fan. Bear that in mind when he boasts that the Cubbies are the best team in the NL.

The Cubbies were 88-74 in 2003, good enough to win the hobbled NL Central but the Cubbies had the WORST record of all the teams in the post-season. The Cubbies narrowly won the NL Central and only won because in September they had the luxury of playing the worst teams in baseball AFTER they had traded away their top talent.

Northsidefan tells you to be realistic, but realism is not a quality found in many Cubbie fans.

http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/BRAIN.JPG

longshot7
12-31-2003, 02:27 PM
hey, Albert Belle is a free agent now...

Hmmm.............

Dub25
12-31-2003, 04:34 PM

I Rod is not going to happen so just pray the Astros sign Rocket. If that happens the Cubs are done.

Grobber33
12-31-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by surfdudes

It's true.my good Friend Ozzie IS unbeaten as Manager---but....he's also WINLESS.

DrCrawdad
12-31-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
It's true.my good Friend Ozzie IS unbeaten as Manager---but....he's also WINLESS.

Les,

I didn't catch any comments of yours, if there were any, on the death of Ivan Calderon. What do you think of Lip's article on the WSI mainpage? Any thing you can relate about your impression(s) or experience with Ivan?

Take care,
DrCrawdad.

PS Any annoucements coming soon regarding a regular show for you?

Brian26
12-31-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Any annoucements coming soon regarding a regular show for you?

I miss hearing Les and Tommy in the mornings when I'm driving around doing weekend errands. Hope they bring them back once baseball season begins (or at least after football is wrapped up).

Frater Perdurabo
12-31-2003, 11:24 PM

When I-Rod (I refuse to call him Pudge) was still with the Rangers, but started to suffer injuries with more regularity (2001-ish), there was speculation that he would move to 2B in order to extend his career. He probably would be a stronger hitter if he didn't play catcher as much.

The other aspect is that when he was with the Rangers, I-Rod was not known for his handling of the pitchers. If anything, Rangers pitchers had better numbers when someone else was catching.

The Sox ought to sign I-Rod to play 2B and tutor Olivo.

DrCrawdad
01-01-2004, 09:17 AM

2) According to the Palm Beach Post, free agent C Ivan Rodriguez is still interested in returning to the Marlins.

Since the team didn't offer salary arbitration, he's ineligible to return
until May 1. But, since he's not finding a market for himself, he might wait. - Lee Sinins

jabrch
01-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agree - but I still agree with Lip's assessment that Hangar is fooling himself if he thinks there's any chance that the Sox will make a big free agent signing this particular off season. It seems pretty apparent that that is not going to happen.

Clearly this offseason nothing is going to happen. But to say "never" and "not with this organization" is a stretch.

jabrch
01-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Lip,

While I appreciate your history lesson, that was not the point that I had made. You said this organization would never go out and get big FAs (while we were talking about I-Rod). I said that is not true. This team would and has gotten big FAs. Now you can tell me why all you want - and I am aware of the situation that you are talking about.

But Lip, with as bad as JR is of an owner, you have to be somewhat fair to him. This isn't Carl Pouhlad, Bud Selig, etc. He has made moves. He has kept Frank here. He signed Maggs to his current deal that extended him 2 years past his FA point. It isn't fair to say he will "never" sign top tier FAs. If you are talking about spending 25mm for A-Rod, fine - he wont - he isn't Tom Hicks stupid. But that is a good thing in my book. Look where A-Rod got Hicks and the Rangers?

Jab:

With respect you need to study your history a bit better. Uncle Jerry signed Albert for one reason and one reason only and that wasn't to improve the Sox.

He signed Belle to that (for then) outrageous deal simply to get revenge on his fellow owners who dared go against his wishes and ended the baseball labor impasse in 1995.

It was written as such in great lenght both locally and nationally at the time. Jay Mariotti for example got into a shall we say heated discussion with Uncle Jerry at the press conference over this point. The Sporting News also wrote about this belief and had comments from sources testifying to this.

Reinsdorf was one of the few (he may have been the only one) to vote 'no' when MLB owners voted to agree to settle the dispute and at least temporarily keep the status quo with the MLBPA.

Or let's put it another way, let's test your belief.

If Uncle Jerry really wanted to improve the Sox and 'go for it' (i.e. a World Championship, which is the phrase he used at the press conference in November 96) why did he 'White Flag' it only eight months after he signed him and only four months into the season with the Sox only 3 1/2 games out of first?

and perhaps more importantly why did he insist on the "out clause" in Belle's contract that let him become a free agent if the Sox didn't increase his salary by one million dollars? That seems like a small price to pay for a guy who blasted what? 48 home runs?????

This was proving a point in my opinion, pure and simple.

Vindictiveness has always been a watchword for him or as Uncle Jerry himself said (direct quote:) "I have never, ever given a guy a second chance to get even with me.”–Jerry Reinsdorf to Melissa Issacson. From the book Transition Game. Pg. 79 .

Uncle Jerry in this case, in my opinion was extracting his pound of flesh from his fellow owners by driving UP the salary scale and some owners still haven't forgiven him for it.

Lip

jabrch
01-01-2004, 10:07 AM
If we wanted to do that, we could have spent less money and gotten ourselves a real 2B. Pudge makes no sense for this team. Let's worry about pitching right now.

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
When I-Rod (I refuse to call him Pudge) was still with the Rangers, but started to suffer injuries with more regularity (2001-ish), there was speculation that he would move to 2B in order to extend his career. He probably would be a stronger hitter if he didn't play catcher as much.

The other aspect is that when he was with the Rangers, I-Rod was not known for his handling of the pitchers. If anything, Rangers pitchers had better numbers when someone else was catching.

The Sox ought to sign I-Rod to play 2B and tutor Olivo.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
If we wanted to do that, we could have spent less money and gotten ourselves a real 2B. Pudge makes no sense for this team. Let's worry about pitching right now.

Let's face it. This team has more holes than swiss cheese. Lead-off man, center field, second base, shortstop, catcher, pitching rotatioin. Sure, we don't need to fill *all* of these spots but the Sox are still trying to *cut* payroll.

Just about anybody looks good right about now.

:(:

Brian26
01-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Just about anybody looks good right about now.

:gun

"So I hear you're looking for a centerfielder."

DrCrawdad
01-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
:gun

"So I hear you're looking for a centerfielder."

http://www.ericcarr.com/rockheads/jeff%20abbot.gif
"I'm ready to pick-up my glove."

http://www.topprospectalert.com/AZFall/images/mckay.jpg
"Hey, I'm still hanging around in AAA."

nasox
01-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Yea well, Unka Jerry must sell (or die, at this point I really don't care).