PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Politte to Sign?

fledgedrallycap
12-31-2003, 09:50 AM
Read a brief note in the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~96~1862035,00.html

"The Rockies were pursuing right-handed reliever Cliff Politte, but he is expected to sign with the White Sox"

T-Bag
12-31-2003, 10:01 AM
Sweet now not only did we get Juan Uribe, we have Cliff Politte!!

whitesoxwilkes
12-31-2003, 10:11 AM
Looking at his numbers, I'd guess he's a reliever...is he any good?

fledgedrallycap
12-31-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

I have no idea, numbers look alright...

1998 St. Louis Cardinals 2 3 6.32 8 8 0 0 0 --- 37.0 45 32 26 6 1 18 22
1999 Philadelphia Phillies 1 0 7.13 13 0 0 0 0 0 17.2 19 14 14 2 0 15 15
2000 Philadelphia Phillies 4 3 3.66 12 8 0 0 0 0 59.0 55 24 24 8 0 27 50
2001 Philadelphia Phillies 2 3 2.42 23 0 0 0 0 0 26.0 24 8 7 2 1 8 23
2002 Philadelphia Phillies 2 0 3.86 13 0 0 0 0 1 16.1 19 10 7 0 1 9 15
2002 Toronto Blue Jays 1 3 3.61 55 0 0 0 1 3 57.1 38 23 23 5 1 19 57
2003 Toronto Blue Jays 1 5 5.66 54 0 0 0 12 18 49.1 52 32 31 11 1 17 40

tanko
12-31-2003, 10:49 AM
please no.I saw him alot last year.I live in the Toronto area he is garbage.Was the closer for a while has decent stuff but is totally unreliable barely pitched late in the year I am not a fan at all of him.

duke of dorwood
12-31-2003, 10:57 AM
:reinsy

Just get that ticket $ in-and I'll see if I can make a big move like this

munchman33
12-31-2003, 12:50 PM
Pollite had a really bad year last year, but overall has had a pretty good career. Here's hoping last year was an abberition.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
Pollite had a really bad year last year, but overall has had a pretty good career. Here's hoping last year was an abberition.

he will now be a full 2 yrs removed from a major injury to his arm, that cant be bad. cliff (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5/5960/)

petekat
12-31-2003, 01:02 PM
I like this pickup if it ever occurs...

Remember him from the NL- solid setup who could potentially slide into the rotation.

Only bad yr was last yr- despite getting roughed up- his secondary #s were decent (1.40 ratio, 7.3 K/IP- Take away 2 rough interleague outings, and his E.RA is 4.50)
Since 99 he has avg about 7.5-9 K/IP.

Stats outlook:

" Politte could mature into a closer. He has excellent command of an overpowering four-seam fastball that is clocked regularly at 96 MPH and goes up to 98. He hits both sides of the plate, up and down. His slider runs 88-90 MPH, and he works in a two-seam fastball and a changeup. In his few chances, he showed well as a fielder. He is quick to the plate with a simple delivery and can get the ball home in 1.2 seconds, which should make him difficult to run on."

tanko
12-31-2003, 01:06 PM
trust me he's bad

anewman35
12-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by tanko
trust me he's bad

Just because a guy had a bad season it doesn't automatically mean he is bad...

hold2dibber
12-31-2003, 01:18 PM
trust me he's bad

Why should we trust you? I don't mean to be rude, but seriously, other than a couple crappy outings last year, his career stats look decent. From the few scouting reports I've seen, the guy as quality stuff, too. Why (other than "I was at a few games where he got roughed up") do you think he's so worthless?

Foulke You
12-31-2003, 01:18 PM
trust me he's bad

Just curious, are you judging him from only last year or have you seen him play before 2003? Looking at his 2003 stats, one could see why you would think he sucked if you only saw him play last year. His previous stats don't look too bad. Could possibly be one off year for Politte.

CubKilla
12-31-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

:reinsy

"Good..... bad..... that's not what is important. What is important is that he'll probably come cheap."

itchy
12-31-2003, 02:01 PM
Politte did well as a setup man in '02, and did poorly when promoted to closer last year. He pitched while hurt for part of the year, and it snowballed into a mental meltdown to the point that he was demoted and banished to a mopup role. He is not suited to close, but has a solid chance of being a good middle reliver again.

voodoochile
12-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by itchy
Politte did well as a setup man in '02, and did poorly when promoted to closer last year. He pitched while hurt for part of the year, and it snowballed into a mental meltdown to the point that he was demoted and banished to a mopup role. He is not suited to close, but has a solid chance of being a good middle reliver again.

Does anyone else think that sounds a lot like Koch? Even the team he is playing for and his stats last year remind me of BillyGoat.

I agree that the previous 5 years the stats look pretty solid. Hopefully he does return to form.

tanko
12-31-2003, 02:05 PM
OK I won't say he's bad any more (but he is ).Half way through the season I reserve the right to give you a big I told you so.

MarkEdward
12-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Politte was actually a starter in the minors (anyone know why he made the switch?). He's mainly been held to one inning appearances in the majors. Nice signing, if he's brought in for anything less than $500 thousand. So here's our pen, as of this date (assuming Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Schoeneweis, and Rauch start):
Ace: Marte
Long reliever: Wright
RHP 1: Koch
RHP 2: Politte/Santiago
LHP 1: Wunsch
LHP 2: Hm, I wouldn't mind seeing Cotts begin his ML career in the pen. If not, maybe Sanders or Ron Villone. Or we can just bring up Ginter and keep only one lefty in the pen.

Cliff Politte was a 54th round draft pick back in 1995!

hold2dibber
12-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
So here's our pen, as of this date (assuming Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Schoeneweis, and Rauch start):
RHP 1: Koch
RHP 2: Politte/Santiago
LHP 1: Wunsch
LHP 2: Hm, I wouldn't mind seeing Cotts begin his ML career in the pen. If not, maybe Sanders or Ron Villone. Or we can just bring up Ginter and keep only one lefty in the pen.

I don't see the need (necessarily) for another lefty - even without Cotts, they have two (Marte and Wunsch). I think Ginter would be fine for the last spot in the pen.

The no. 1 critical key to the success of that pen is Billy Koch. If he is effective, they should at least be adequate. Otherwise, not.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-31-2003, 03:25 PM
everyone trashed flash when we signed him last year, and look how he did. i'll take a chance on this guy since he's has some good years

tanko
12-31-2003, 03:31 PM
I can't take this anymore Cliff Politte is awful,scary bad.I know I said I wouldn't say it anymore but I'd Glover or any one else we trotted out from our bullpen over him.And I saw him pitch before last year too he stinks.I'm not sure if I made myslef clear I don't like this potential signing. :whiner:

tanko
12-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Did I mention I don't like Cliff Politte yet????

MarkEdward
12-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't see the need (necessarily) for another lefty - even without Cotts, they have two (Marte and Wunsch). I think Ginter would be fine for the last spot in the pen.

You're right. For some reason, I like to have at least two lefties in the pen (I use this construction for my Out Of The Park teams). A second lefty really isn't necessary. So let me revise my '04 pitching staff. First the starters:
Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Kenny Rogers
Schoeneweis
RHP: Koch
LHP: Wunsch
RHP: Politte/Santiago
RHP: Rauch/Ginter (though I really would like to see Rauch on the Sox next year)

The no. 1 critical key to the success of that pen is Billy Koch. If he is effective, they should at least be adequate. Otherwise, not.

While I don't think we'll see 2000's version of Billy Koch ever again, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to the 2002 version. ERA+ ranging from 110 to 130, good rate with a propensity for walking batters and serving up homers.

RKMeibalane
12-31-2003, 08:10 PM
Did I mention I don't like Cliff Politte yet????

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/darth.jpg

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

jeremyb1
01-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Does anyone else think that sounds a lot like Koch? Even the team he is playing for and his stats last year remind me of BillyGoat.

I agree that the previous 5 years the stats look pretty solid. Hopefully he does return to form.

The key is that his salary wouldn't be 6 million.

petekat
01-01-2004, 04:13 AM
tanko, respect your opinion. let's hope for all of our sake that you're wrong. Relievers ERA's are deceptive. Few really bad outings can skew things.,

In his favor:

Deconstructing 2003:

ERA vs 8 playoff teams 3.72

25 Hlds, 3 Blown saves, 1 save

Tout wars has a regular feature- spolighting guys with substantial upside, who finally delivered a yr of two after their "hype" year. In other words, calling out late bloomers who rewarded the teams that were patient with them:

Politte is listed as one of the 17.
Others in this group:

Eric Gagne
Odalis Perez
Matt Clement
Kip Wells
Carl Pavano
Derek Lee
Mark Kotsay
Tomo Ohka

so a sense that Politte has a 50/50 chance of being serviceable, and coming through on his promise.

Certainly worth a flyer..........?

cbrownson13
01-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Anyone notice he went to the same Junior College as Buehrle?

tanko
01-01-2004, 11:46 AM
If they sign him.I hope I'm wrong too.Any comparisions to Koch or Gordon are absurd though Koch except last year is a top notch closer and Gordon was too he was just coming off injuries.

delben91
01-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Well, hopefully he'll come cheap. If nothing else, taking a flyer on him won't hurt much. And it falls in line with the other offseason blockbusters of Juan Uribe, Jose Santiago (did we ever actually sign him officially?) and....right.

munchman33
01-01-2004, 01:21 PM
If they sign him.I hope I'm wrong too.Any comparisions to Koch or Gordon are absurd though Koch except last year is a top notch closer and Gordon was too he was just coming off injuries.

Tanko, I don't want to just dismiss your opinion as some sort of uber-hatred. Can you give us any real reason you believe Pollite sucked from 00-02 when he consistantly posted era in the 3's or lower, characteristics of a certainly adequate middle reliever in my book?

MHOUSE
01-01-2004, 05:44 PM
I know he was a bad closer for the Jays last year and I remember him giving up some runs to the White Sox in a big inning last season when they used 2 or 3 pitchers to try and stop the bleeding. I'd give him a shot. I'd settle for a 3.75-4.25 ERA from him and a few holds.

longshot7
01-01-2004, 06:43 PM
You're right. For some reason, I like to have at least two lefties in the pen (I use this construction for my Out Of The Park teams). A second lefty really isn't necessary. So let me revise my '04 pitching staff. First the starters:
Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Kenny Rogers
Schoeneweis

HA!! Kenny Rogers! I love how people keep figuring these losers into our rotation for next year. How about Rauch? I think I'm gonna be sick. If KW doesn't do his usual right-before-SoxFest miracle this year - I think we're DOA.

Hel, why not Politte - what do we have to lose?

tanko
01-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Well it is a hatred .i live in the Toronto media area all Jay fans around me all telling me early in the year how good Politte was.You could tell by watching him he didnt have great stuff , I just kept saying just wait he isn't very good.They all would argue finally about 70 games into the season he couldn't get an out and I was right and happy .Cliff Pollite was junk by the end of the year he could barely mop up.I think his failed closing time shook him up good maybe he could rebound he has pretty ordinary stuff though.I Apoligize for this run on post.

munchman33
01-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Well it is a hatred .i live in the Toronto media area all Jay fans around me all telling me early in the year how good Politte was.You could tell by watching him he didnt have great stuff , I just kept saying just wait he isn't very good.They all would argue finally about 70 games into the season he couldn't get an out and I was right and happy .Cliff Pollite was junk by the end of the year he could barely mop up.I think his failed closing time shook him up good maybe he could rebound he has pretty ordinary stuff though.I Apoligize for this run on post.

The scouting report on him from espn.com says he throws in the upper 90's, hitting as high as 98. How can you say he has "ordinary stuff." I didn't realize that every major league pitcher could throw 98!

Jjav829
01-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Man, you know it's a slow offseason when the potential signing of Cliff Politte becomes a major debate...

But anyways, if it happens I like the move. He wasn't great last year though but he has been pretty effective against righties. It would help our bullpen. If he regains his previous form and last year turns out to be a fluke based on his shoulder injury, or adjusting to his new role, we may find a good 7th or 8th inning guy. I'd take the chance.

MarkEdward
01-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
HA!! Kenny Rogers! I love how people keep figuring these losers into our rotation for next year. How about Rauch? I think I'm gonna be sick. If KW doesn't do his usual right-before-SoxFest miracle this year - I think we're DOA.

Well, I don't think Rogers would be an ace of any sorts. However, I do think he'll be able to pitch 175-200 league-average innings for us. His K rate is dwindling, but his walk and homer rates remain low. Rauch wasn't great in Charlotte last season, but we must find out if he can pitch at the ML level. I'd rather see him start in the pen, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Back to Rogers, though: excluding a trade, he's the best pitcher not named Ponson or Maddux available.

tanko
01-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Alan Embree throws 100 and is no good.Embree is though better than Politte

Foulke You
01-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Back to Rogers, though: excluding a trade, he's the best pitcher not named Ponson or Maddux available.

I tend to agree. Rogers also won't command nearly as much as Ponson or Maddux and possibly could fall into the Sox Wal-Mart baseball budget assuming KW can unload a salary. Rogers has pretty good command and is a veteran junkballer who might fit in well at Comiskey Park where the swirling winds tend to make it play like a pitcher's park. Loaiza, Buehrle, Rogers, Garland, and Schoeneweis would probably give us the best rotation in the AL Central since the Twinks are losing Rogers and they already lost Milton. Of course, saying you have the best rotation in the AL Central is like saying you have the best Ford Pinto of your fellow Ford Pinto collectors while the Ferarri collectors in the AL East and the Corvette collectors in the AL West make fun of you. :D:

munchman33
01-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Alan Embree throws 100 and is no good.Embree is though better than Politte

Once again you're picking on a guy because he had one bad year. Embree was alright last year, and really good all but the year before. The aging Embree put up these numbers last year.

55 innings 16BB 45K 4W 1L 16HLD 1.18WHIP 4.25ERA

His numbers were certainly better than his era would project, but embree certainly is not "no good."

Please refrain from basing your opinions on players from the one year you had a chance to see them.

tanko
01-02-2004, 01:26 PM
please refrain from telling me to refrain

TheRockinMT
01-02-2004, 01:39 PM
I think KW might be able to sign the likes of Kenny Rogers, Politte, Santiago and others and not be required to dump salary. Rogers can be a good 4th or 5th starter and probably win 10-12 games in Comiskey Park. I see him as a ground ball pitcher (am I wrong here?)and natural turf will help him stay competitive. I would love to see Maddux on this team, or even Ponson, but the price is too high most likely.