PDA

View Full Version : Tough Question

Tekijawa
12-30-2003, 03:16 PM
I was recently asked by a Cubs fan Friend if:

I would be willing to watch the Sox lose the World Series to the Cubs if I was guaranteed to watch the Sox win the next two World Series, just not against the Cubs... I thought at first that the easy answer was yes, but I have really had to think about it now I'm about 50/50 so I thought I'd pose the question to you guys/Gals.

T-Bag
12-30-2003, 03:28 PM
guys/Gals

There are chicks on this board??? Cool..........chicks that dig baseball.... :D:

FanOf14
12-30-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by T-Bag
There are chicks on this board??? Cool..........chicks that dig baseball.... :D:

Yes we do dig baseball. And supposedly we dig the long ball the most in baseball.

I'd do it, but only if the Cubs were the worst team in baseball both those two years.

jabrch
12-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

I would be willing to watch the Sox lose the World Series to the Cubs if I was guaranteed to watch the Sox win the next two World Series, just not against the Cubs... I thought at first that the easy answer was yes, but I have really had to think about it now I'm about 50/50 so I thought I'd pose the question to you guys/Gals.

Sign me up - I just think the Yanks and the RedSox - not to mention KC and Minn would have something to say about this.

T-Bag
12-30-2003, 03:37 PM
es we do dig baseball. And supposedly we dig the long ball the most in baseball.

I should have guess "Fanof14" was a chick. So do all chicks think Paulie is hot????? I guess if I were gay, he might be hot???

Baby Fisk
12-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Jawa: who is this friend of yours, Satan???

Maybe I'd go for it if the Sox could win 2 first, then the Cubs win just to give us 2 years of rubbing it in their noses.

You know what? Forget what I just said. I'd take Satan's deal as first described!

Tekijawa
12-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Jawa: who is this friend of yours, Satan???

Maybe I'd go for it if the Sox could win 2 first, then the Cubs win just to give us 2 years of rubbing it in their noses.

You know what? Forget what I just said. I'd take Satan's deal as first described!

It all Hypothetical of course, and if Satan was my friend we would have won the Series a long time ago. The hardest part about the decision is the fact that they would get to rub it in our faces for a year, and then we would have to beat someone else the next two years, not getting the revenge... that's why it is so tough!

FanOf14
12-30-2003, 03:41 PM
I should have guess "Fanof14" was a chick. So do all chicks think Paulie is hot????? I guess if I were gay, he might be hot???

I seem to have a thing for the number 14. I liked Craig Grebeck, PK and my birthday is the 14th of November (day I got engaged as well). Too bad it's never won a damned thing for me...

Back to the post question... It sort of seems that way. Most of the women that I know think he is hot. Although, he is one of those guys that turn his face one way and he looks hot, turn it the other and he is a dog.

Be that as it may, I would appreciate him getting his head out of his behind before the upcoming season begins.

Iwritecode
12-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

I would be willing to watch the Sox lose the World Series to the Cubs if I was guaranteed to watch the Sox win the next two World Series, just not against the Cubs... I thought at first that the easy answer was yes, but I have really had to think about it now I'm about 50/50 so I thought I'd pose the question to you guys/Gals. '

I wouldn't do it. The team that wins it first would get bragging rights for years.

It wouldn't matter if the Sox won the next 10 in a row, the Cubs fans would still be saying "Yea, so what. We did it FIRST."

T-Bag
12-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Back to the post question... It sort of seems that way. Most of the women that I know think he is hot. Although, he is one of those guys that turn his face one way and he looks hot, turn it the other and he is a dog.

Sounds like Sienfelds girlfriend. One time you see her she is smoking hot, the next time she dog ass ugly!!

:D:

Iwritecode
12-30-2003, 03:45 PM

Off the top of my head there's Steff, HotSoxChick, Streets, Mrs. PHG, Mrs. Aloha...

voodoochile
12-30-2003, 03:46 PM
So the Sox would win 3 straight pennants and the last two would be World Champions?

Yes, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

It isn't like the flubbies would gain that much ground by winning the first one - after all, the Sox could point to their pennant and a few years later would have serious bragging rights.

Tekijawa
12-30-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The team that wins it first would get bragging rights for years.

It wouldn't matter if the Sox won the next 10 in a row, the Cubs fans would still be saying "Yea, so what. We did it FIRST."

I don't think that is the case because in this case If we had to watch the cubs beat the yankees and we were guaranteed to win the next two, the question wouldn't be as hard!

voodoochile
12-30-2003, 03:47 PM
'

I wouldn't do it. The team that wins it first would get bragging rights for years.

:insertsourgrapestaghere

Iwritecode
12-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So the Sox would win 3 straight pennants and the last two would be World Champions?

Yes, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

It isn't like the flubbies would gain that much ground by winning the first one - after all, the Sox could point to their pennant and a few years later would have serious bragging rights.

Just curious...

Do you think that would be enough to win the city back after the media orgy over the Cubs winning their first WS in 90+ years?

Jess1210
12-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Hmmm...tough one...if it was the Sox beating the Cubs for both of those years, then I'd say yes. If the Sox beat someone else for those 2 years, it would be great (a championship is a championship) but not quite as gratifying as beating the Cubs for it would be! I'm 50/50.

Baby Fisk
12-30-2003, 04:09 PM
If the Flubs & Sox won 3 years running, both teams would have runaway bandwagons and Chicago would be the baseball capital of the young century. Sox merchandise does great sales even with a crappy team. If they won 2 WS in a row, there'd be kids everywhere scrambling to wear Sox stuff for years to come.

If it were to happen soon, the Sox would actually be the Team of the Century! (so far...) :D:

To whom could we make out the contract for our eternal souls?

delben91
12-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Off the top of my head there's Steff, HotSoxChick, Streets, Mrs. PHG, Mrs. Aloha...

put Michelle in there too...and isn't one of our visitors from the Marlins board of the female persuasion?

TheRockinMT
12-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Poor, poor Cubs fan. Doesn't he realize there is no way the Cubs will ever make it to the WS before the Sox let alone win ANY series from the Sox.

ma_deuce
12-30-2003, 05:34 PM
The same post was submitted some months ago, so I will give the same answer. Hell no! We would never live down losing to the Cubs. I don't care how much we get in return. Would I have the Cubs win it all one year against another team and then the Sox win two years after? Ok, maybe. But the Cubs beating the Sox for the Series is nonnegotiable.

Sorry, but I hate the Cubs almost as much as I love the Sox.

Deuce

Dick Allen
12-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Actually, I would sacrifice the 2 World Series wins just so I wouldn't have to see the Sox lose to the Cubs before then. That's because after the Sox lost to the Cubs, I would have somebody shoot me, and then I wouldn't be alive to see the next 2 World Series anyway.

voodoochile
12-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Just curious...

Do you think that would be enough to win the city back after the media orgy over the Cubs winning their first WS in 90+ years?

These things are cyclical. Right now the Sox are down because their owner is an idiot and the flubbies have made all the right PR moves, are owned by a major newspaper and have had a lot of good media attention these past 10 years with ShamME doing his HR thing and the flubbies making the playoffs twice with the hint of more to come.

Given the premise of this thread, in 20 years this won't mean that much, but if the Flubbies get really hot and stay that way while JR continues to do his impressionation of the incredible shrinking fanbase, things could get bad.

I think the continued gentrification of the SS and removal of the public housing accross the street is going to do a lot for the Sox popularity in a few years. JR will be drawing more locals like the flubbies and then he won't care that the people who used to care don't care anymore.

All he cares about is the money. Anewman and joecrede make the point that the Sox are a successful business because they make money. That is all JR thinks about. Any other pretense is window dressing, IMO. He can't even do that right either. When push comes to shove, his true colors come out.

JaylisJP
12-30-2003, 08:34 PM
This question was a poll question by the Chicago Tribune Web site last year...get some originality.

The Critic
12-30-2003, 08:41 PM
Since the Cubs mean nothing to me, and their dopey followers rarely make sense anyway, I would take any deal which guaranteed 2 World Series victories for the White Sox.
I don't care if the deal was a Cub sweep followed by 2 7-game squeakers over the Padres and Rockies - it makes no difference.

2 World Series championships are better than one. Simple as that.

Plus, if Sox fans need something to brag about, they could always remind the Cub Cult that the Sox would have made 3 straight World Series appearances, not one meager fluke victory ( the deal is that the Sox beat someone else in the WS, so the Cubs would only have made it once. One appearance, win or lose, is a fluke. Three straight World Series is a dynasty.

Besides, half of Cubbie Nation will have died after their WS title anyway, so it wouldn't matter what the remaining half thought... :smile:

Hangar18
12-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Just curious...

Nope. IF the cubs get to the promised land first, The Sox are FINISHED in this town, and maybe as a Franchise. Book It.
No way I want to see my team go out like that. Id rather
eat the Coal JR gave us Sox Fans for Xmas

Hangar18
12-30-2003, 10:01 PM
Actually, Heres what I would Love. SOX vs Cubs in the world series, the cubs first in 100 years. And the SOX Bats come out like they did when we went to KC the 2nd time this year.
Wouldnt this headline look great in the Cubune?
"White Sox Bats too much for Cubs, Sweep to Series Title"
"How Sweep It Is!!"

raul12
12-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
The same post was submitted some months ago, so I will give the same answer. Hell no! We would never live down losing to the Cubs. I don't care how much we get in return. Would I have the Cubs win it all one year against another team and then the Sox win two years after? Ok, maybe. But the Cubs beating the Sox for the Series is nonnegotiable.

Sorry, but I hate the Cubs almost as much as I love the Sox.

Deuce

wow...I have to disagree. Like someone else said, I'd take anything that guaranteed 2 WS titles for the White Sox, especially if it's 3 WS appearances in a row. Granted, that year after the scrubs won it, it'd be tough, but I think if we got to the WS, and at least made a series of it, it'd be ok. At this rate, I'd be happy with a pennant.

mike squires
12-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Whatever happened to that librarian that used to post all of the time. Wasn't her name CHerle or something? Haven't seen her for a long time.

JGarlandrules20
12-31-2003, 12:05 AM

.......jon. garland. :smile:

but anyway.....even if the sox won 50 WS after the cubs won..cub fans would still be rubbing it in our faces with "we're better we won first".. so my answer is No way.

DSpivack
12-31-2003, 12:09 AM
dream, dream dream dream...
whenever i want to all i have to do...
is dream.

i think any chicago fan, sox or flubs,
would take this deal.

but look at the state of chicago sports,
as it is right now...

it ain't pretty.

the best team right now is the fire, hands down.

the sox pretty much suck, the cubs two games better with more luck, the bulls and blackhawks are awful as usual, the bears still searching for their post-Super Bowl identity [nearly 20 years later...haha].

wow....scary.

mike squires
12-31-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by JGarlandrules20
.......jon. garland. :smile:

but anyway.....even if the sox won 50 WS after the cubs won..cub fans would still be rubbing it in our faces with "we're better we won first".. so my answer is No way.

Welcome aboard!!! :D:

Thunderstruck30
12-31-2003, 01:18 AM
Im leaning towards no. If the Cubs win it first, they have bragging rights. Even if we won it the next two years, we couldnt say anything or rub it in the Cubs fans faces.

StillMissOzzie
12-31-2003, 02:02 AM
I would also have to turn down this deal. For those of you with short term memories, look at how miserable we all were when the Scrubs came within 5 outs of the WS this past year, and that wasn't even against the Sox. I agree with Hanger and a few others that the Sox would NEVER live down the media orgy of the Scrubs beating the Sox to win it all. Those next two WS victories would probably be for the Tampa Bay White Sox or someplace else.

And all of this assumes that you could count on the devil to deliver those 2 WS victories. What if the ol' Beelzebub is a Scrub fan, too?

SMO
:gulp: