PDA

View Full Version : Books about 1906 & 1917?

Baby Fisk
12-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know of any books published about the Sox championships of 1906 or 1917? Just trying to find solace wherever it can be had this winter.

:shoeless

voodoochile
12-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Moved your thread into the Clubhouse. Books on Sox baseball normally make for good off season discussion, and you are correct. We Sox fans need to take heart wherever we can find it...

You think 100 years from now the Marlins fans will be asking for books on 1997 and 2003?

RKMeibalane
12-30-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You think 100 years from now the Marlins fans will be asking for books on 1997 and 2003?

Probably not, because the Marlins will be able to win a few more championships before 2103. The Sox, on the other hand, may still be waiting for their next championship.

I'm really hoping that cloning technology is put on the back-burner. Otherwise, Jerry Reinsdorf may own this team forever.

:reinsy

"Muhahahahahahahaha!"

Baby Fisk
12-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks Voodoo. Everyone's so worked up over showerheads in the Clubhouse I didn't want to impose :D:

I just found something on "that website named after a river in South America" called The 1917 White Sox: Their World Championship Season by Warren Wilbert & William Hageman. The title is a bit of a misnomer. It says it's a paperback published in November 2003, but it doesn't say if it's a reprint from something older. Eitherway, it's the first one I've found. Something about the 1906 season would be very sweet considering the wildly optimistic atmosphere surrounding the Flubs going into 2004. Anyone know of any books on 1906?

(Yeah, the Marlins have got Lecherous Loria, who will do what he can to keep buying WS rings for his pudgy fingers. They aren't likely to have the same woes...)

Realist
12-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Does anyone know of any books published about the Sox championships of 1906 or 1917? Just trying to find solace wherever it can be had this winter.

:shoeless

I picked up a book called "Strength Up the Middle: The Story of the 1959 White Sox" for my brother for Christmas. I dunno if it's any good or not, the cover looked cool. :cool:

TornLabrum
12-31-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I picked up a book called "Strength Up the Middle: The Story of the 1959 White Sox" for my brother for Christmas. I dunno if it's any good or not, the cover looked cool. :cool:

I read the book a few years ago. Kalas (the author, and I forgot his first name) is about my age, and the stuff he wrote about that summer could have been about me, except that he was in Chicago and I was out in the sticks.

Paulwny
12-31-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Realist

It's "Strength Down The Middle by Larry Kalas.
I also enjoyed "59 Summer of the Sox" by Bob Vanderberg.

Brian26
12-31-2003, 05:29 PM
"Stealing First in a Two Team Town" is a pretty decent book also. Published in '94 I think.

Baby Fisk
01-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks Realist & Brian26 for the suggestions.

Here's one I just finished reading. It's not about our Sox, but about those cursed, doomed, nihilistic Carmines over in Boston:

"The Little (Red) Sox Book" by Bill (Spaceman) Lee. It's the Spaceman's take on revisionist baseball history, obviously with the focus on the Red Sox. From the sale of Babe Ruth in 1920, Spaceman re-writes BoSox history into that of grand champions. Decade after decade, Boston's baseball history is given the old revisionist treatment. Call it the ultimate in baseball-alternate-history. It may not be all that inspiring for Chicago Sox fans, but if you hate the Yankees and Hitler (what a suitable combination!), you will love this book. The Spaceman is definitely off the wall and his worldview is a little...um...psychedelic...but he's still a very funny writer. Recommended! And no, I don't work for the publisher or Bill Lee. :smile: