PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Sign Daubach


soxfan26
12-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Return Trip for Daubach (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2003/12/30/return_trip_for_daubach/)

He signed a minor league deal, but the terms were not released.

Here is a quote from the story...

The White Sox released him Dec. 10 while he was on his honeymoon.

I know its insignificant, and he probably already knew about it, but that would suck.

anewman35
12-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Here is a quote from the story...

The White Sox released him Dec. 10 while he was on his honeymoon.

I know its insignificant, and he probably already knew about it, but that would suck.

Didn't I read somewhere that the Sox released him just so he'd be able to sign somewhere else earlier if he wanted? Wouldn't he just have been a free agent anyway?

soxfan26
12-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Didn't I read somewhere that the Sox released him just so he'd be able to sign somewhere else earlier if he wanted? Wouldn't he just have been a free agent anyway?

Like I said, I'm sure it was planned. Just sounds rough if you read it without thinking too deep.

Tekijawa
12-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Just sounds rough if you read it without thinking too deep.

This is a WHITE SOX board not a Cubs board, deep thoughts rarely happen over there, here you don't have to be worried as much!

hold2dibber
12-30-2003, 10:11 AM
The Sox really need a left handed stick off the bench. Daubach was a good one - I think he was severely misused by Manuel last year (surpirse, suprprise). However, he isn't really an adequate defensive outfielder and we already have 2 guys at 1B/DH. The best case scenario would be to pick up a left handed hitting OF who has some pop in his bat and who is a defensive improvement over our starting OFs (which isn't saying much).

CHISOXFAN13
12-30-2003, 10:18 AM
I seem to recall reading about how Daubach complained that the Red Sox waited until the last minute to release him.

Guess the hard feelings didn't last long.

34 Inch Stick
12-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Todd Walker would have fit in nicely in so many ways (we would have sucked big time defensively though).

JRIG
12-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Todd Walker would have fit in nicely in so many ways (we would have sucked big time defensively though).

Walker's defensive abilities are incredibly underrated, IMHO. HE's not close to a gold glover, but I think he's much closer to "adequate" than "butcher." At the price he signed for he would have been perfect -- left handed stick, can lead off, a little power.

The way Daubach was used last year bordered on criminal. He should have been playing virtually every day while Konerko was slumping (which was basically all season) or at least againts RHP. I would expect Theo Epstein will instruct his new manger on how to use Daubach, and we'll see his production rise again. He was still a walk machine last year, even though he didn't get good playing time.

maurice
12-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The best case scenario would be to pick up a left handed hitting OF who has some pop in his bat and who is a defensive improvement over our starting OFs (which isn't saying much).

I'd be shocked if his replacement wasn't named "Gload." IMHO, the bench will be determined by salary, not ability.

RKMeibalane
12-30-2003, 01:09 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday. The Sox are in need of a left-handed bat off the bench, and Daubach would have been the ideal person to provide that type of presence. I agree that he was misused by Manuel last season, especailly during the first half when Konerko was hitting below the .200 mark.

The Sox have so many holes right now. It's too bad that Cliff Floyd has a "no-trade" cluase in his contract that prevents the Sox from trying to acquire him. He's a streaky player, but he can play several positions (1B, RF, LF), and he's a left-handed hitter. Floyd is also under contract with the Mets.

Maybe Jeremy Reed will help, assuming he's ready to make the jump to the big leagues sometime in 2004. I don't know. I can't think of anyone who the Sox can sign relatively cheap, who would be able to give them solid production off the bench.

I wonder if Boston would be interested in trading Johnny Damon. He's also a left-handed hitter, and he would fill the gaping hole in CF.

TaylorStSox
12-30-2003, 01:19 PM
*cough*Joe Borchard*cough*

Switch hitter. Decent fielder. He could make it. Stranger things have happened. :cool:

Tekijawa
12-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The Sox have so many holes right now. It's too bad that Cliff Floyd has a "no-trade" cluase in his contract that prevents the Sox from trying to acquire him. He's a streaky player, but he can play several positions (1B, RF, LF), and he's a left-handed hitter. Floyd is also under contract with the Mets.

I was thinking the same thing, although I would imagine that he would waive his no trade rights if we were interested, he is from the south side remember!

mike squires
12-30-2003, 01:23 PM
No way would I want Reed coming off the bench. If he's good enough to be with the team in April then start him. If not, let him open the season in the minors where he can get some at bats and experience.

Tekijawa
12-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
*cough*Joe Borchard*cough*

Switch hitter. Decent fielder. He could make it. Stranger things have happened. :cool:

Yeah then we could have a line On K's for Borchard and Loiza

who do you think will end up with more over the season?

hold2dibber
12-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by maurice
I'd be shocked if his replacement wasn't named "Gload." IMHO, the bench will be determined by salary, not ability.

That applies to the entire roster, not just the bench.

Scotty347
12-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The Sox really need a left handed stick off the bench. Daubach was a good one - I think he was severely misused by Manuel last year (surpirse, suprprise). However, he isn't really an adequate defensive outfielder and we already have 2 guys at 1B/DH. The best case scenario would be to pick up a left handed hitting OF who has some pop in his bat and who is a defensive improvement over our starting OFs (which isn't saying much).

Sounds like someone is calling for the return of Armando Rios!