PDA

View Full Version : What's Kenny thinking today?

lowesox
12-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Seems like its quite on all fronts today, so I'm wondering what Kenny's up to. I mean, this is a guy who's made a big splash every offseason since he became the GM, so I sincerely doubt he'll leave the roster as is.

One thing I've been thinking about is Ponson. There were reports that we were very close to signing him around the same time the Ordonez rumours were around. Now, both of those have died down. Is there any chance that KW has come to a soft agreement with Ponson, but can't make it official until he trims the payroll?

Remember last year how right as we signed Fartolo a whole slew of things happened at once? I have a feeling KW will announce a trade of ordonez and then very soon after a signing of Ponson.

Which, depending on who we get back for Ordonez, could get us to about midseason next year.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2003, 04:53 PM
I've been thinking about that KW quote from the Sun Article thread:

"One of the ways to recapture the fan base and the city's interest is to win and win big. We want a team that can go to the World Series. You have to make moves accordingly to make those dreams come true.''

He said this last summer. Has he said or done anything along those lines since? We'd all love to believe this is all calm before the storm...

This Off-Season Sucks!

Tekijawa
12-29-2003, 04:55 PM
For Some reason I think that keny williams has Circus music playing over and over again in his head...

At least there were rumors last year about Bartolo ending up on the south side...

boog_alou
12-29-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
One thing I've been thinking about is Ponson. There were reports that we were very close to signing him around the same time the Ordonez rumours were around. Now, both of those have died down. Is there any chance that KW has come to a soft agreement with Ponson, but can't make it official until he trims the payroll?

Remember last year how right as we signed Fartolo a whole slew of things happened at once? I have a feeling KW will announce a trade of ordonez and then very soon after a signing of Ponson.

Which, depending on who we get back for Ordonez, could get us to about midseason next year.
Yeah, there isn't room in the payroll to sign Ponson unless Maggs is dealt, and dealt in such a way as to free up significant millions. Perhaps Ponson and Kenny have a deal, and they are waiting for the Sox to free up enough payroll. But, Ponson won't wait forever. The Sox might not ever find the deal they want for Maggs. So, Ponson might wait, but he won't wait forever. He'll have to take a good offer soon, or risk being stuck with a bad deal later.

MarkV
12-29-2003, 05:47 PM
What's with all the Ponson love on these boards? He's never been more than a mediocre pitcher. To me, he's just another overweight, over-hyped nothing. If we get him, it'll be like having Jaimie Navarro or Carlos Castillo again, except that Ponson isn't as big of a pud.

BKozi
12-29-2003, 06:56 PM
What's Kenny thinking today?

"I'm not sure but I think that I really like bagels...yep, I'm sure, I really do like bagels."

T-Bag
12-29-2003, 07:08 PM
What's with all the Ponson love on these boards? He's never been more than a mediocre pitcher. To me, he's just another overweight, over-hyped nothing. If we get him, it'll be like having Jaimie Navarro or Carlos Castillo again, except that Ponson isn't as big of a pud.

Yes 17-12 and age 28 he is for sure average. My goodness I think Ponson would be our #2/#3...easily and could win 20 games next year. maybe smoking Ponson a little hard here but man I like the guy.

lowesox
12-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by MarkV

Ponson may not have been the best player on the market this offseason, but I'd say he's a solid #2 type pitcher, which would be nice since Elo and Buerle are both at least that too.

T-Bag
12-29-2003, 07:19 PM
I agree, Buehrle and Loaiza aren't #1's by any stretch but are SOLID #2's as is Ponson. I'd take 3 solid # 2's any day and throw in Garland that could be a #2 type as well some day, hopefully this year.

TornLabrum
12-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by T-Bag
Yes 17-12 and age 28 he is for sure average. My goodness I think Ponson would be our #2/#3...easily and could win 20 games next year. maybe smoking Ponson a little hard here but man I like the guy.

Let's take a closer look at Sidney:

Age 21: 8-9/5.27
Age 22: 12-12/4.71
Age 23: 9-13/4.82
Age 24: 5-10/4.94
Age 25: 7-9/4.09
Age 26: 17-12/3.75

Beware of players who spike like this in their free agency year.

:KW

"What are you looking at?"

T-Bag
12-29-2003, 07:52 PM
You have got to remember too he played for the bad O's. His ERA was in the 4's for the last 4 years prior to the 3.75. That SHOULD = 15 + wins with the offense we have.

T-Bag
12-29-2003, 07:52 PM
To add on I am not saying he is the next Jesus Christ but would be a very, very nice addition to our starting rotation.

TornLabrum
12-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by T-Bag
You have got to remember too he played for the bad O's. His ERA was in the 4's for the last 4 years prior to the 3.75. That SHOULD = 15 + wins with the offense we have.

Let me add something myself. Ponson is listed at 6'1", 225 lb. If he's 225 lb., then I'm 250 (which I may be when my doctor gets through with me, but I ain't now!)

Palehose13
12-29-2003, 08:13 PM

"I have to set up something where I "bump" into Billy Beane again. Then I can say that funny "jerk store" zinger that George used on Seinfeld. Yeah...that'll get him back for those comments about me in his stupid book."

mike squires
12-29-2003, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TornLabrum
[B]Let's take a closer look at Sidney:

Age 21: 8-9/5.27
Age 22: 12-12/4.71
Age 23: 9-13/4.82
Age 24: 5-10/4.94
Age 25: 7-9/4.09
Age 26: 17-12/3.75

Beware of players who spike like this in their free agency year.

Yes, I would say these aren't even mediocre numbres. UNfortunatly with numbers like this in todays game you are guarenteed at least 5 mil to play ball. Geez.

Jjav829
12-29-2003, 08:57 PM
"You know, Dick Jauron was really sort of the Bears equivalent of Jerry Manuel. Maybe the Bears would have interest in Ozzie Guillen...o yeah, baseball. When does Spring Training start, again?"

SluggersAway
12-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Kenny is trying to make the best trade he possibly can.

Failing that, he wants to wait, survey the market closer to training camp, and then add a few potential quality, but still kinda desperate players and give them the opportunity to show their stuff.

The problem with this strategy goes back to the wisdom of good ole Joseph P Kennedy...only a fool holds out for the top dollar.

But, I do agree our intermediate future looks bright, remember Rome wasn't built in a day.

In Ozzie We Trust,

sluggersaway

http://aubreyherbert.blogspot.com

Postscript: Lincoln was a tyrant, don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.

maurice
12-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MarkV
What's with all the Ponson love on these boards? He's never been more than a mediocre pitcher.

Apparently we've resigned ourselves to the fact that we're not going to get the ace we need. As such, signing a couple of mediocre major league pitchers is the most realistic way to improve a staff which suddenly has a lot of holes.