PDA

View Full Version : would you be surprised if the sox lose 90+ games in 04?

habibharu
12-28-2003, 12:30 PM
as the roster is now, would you be surprised if the sox lose 90 games

munchman33
12-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
as the roster is now, would you be surprised if the sox lose 90 games

Absolutely. The offense still has legitamite power threats, the rotation has two really good pitchers and a good young innings eater, and the division is incredibly weak. We play they too often to lose that many games.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-28-2003, 12:59 PM
I'd be suprised if we did playing in the central, all the teams have downgraded except for the royals.

CubKilla
12-28-2003, 01:03 PM
If we played in the AL East or West I wouldn't be "surprised" at all. The fact that Minnesota had a firesale and KC upgraded only slighty, was sort of a "Trump Card" for JR. Instead of spending money to field a team that could contend with the '03 Royals and Twins, JR slashed payroll to contend with the '04 Royals and Twins.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2003, 01:07 PM
We're playing in the A.L. Norris Division. This alone ought to save us from 90 losses.

If it wasn't for Kansas City making legitimate moves to *improve* their ballclub this winter, I bet the Sox would still be favorites to win the division. I'm sure Ron Gardenhire would be posting bulletin board material about how little respect his Twins get from the big, bad Sox, too. His tired schtick won't work too well when it is the pathetic Kansas City Royals who aren't respecting the underdog Twins.

Brian26
12-28-2003, 01:12 PM
The Sox are still capable of winning 90+ games this year, as the team still has a lot of talent. There are a lot of "if's" though.

mike squires
12-28-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm with Brian~The Sox are going to overachieve this season and will bring exciting ball to Comiskey this summer. I heard Rowand is tearing it up during winter leauge ball. He will do alot of damage keeping his hands down and Harris will surprise some folks with his bunting and speed. Once these guys get the chance to play everyday with a few years now under their belt they will improve. The Sox will make one more pitching addition before Soxfest and will be contenders before being swept in the playoffs.

TheRockinMT
12-28-2003, 02:28 PM
The Sox still have the talent to compete. I am frustarted by the fact we couldn't keep those we acquired last season becasue it think with that added group we would have been the top team in the AL Central for sure. However, we still have an offensive power that KC and Minn can't match, a strong starting staff and I think the best LH reliever in the division if not the AL.

The Critic
12-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Even with the inactivity from the front office to address the holes this team has, I'd be STUNNED if the Sox lost 90 or more games.
This team is not THAT bad, and is only a couple players away from being very, very good.
Add to that the points others have already made about the weak division, and I think the Sox can and WILL compete for the Central title this year.

cornball
12-28-2003, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they lost more than 90..."as is". The division they play in is the only savior.

Right now the pitching staff is not deep or proven. The lineup is mostly right handed and streaky. The current defense is scary. I wouldn't be shocked lets put it that way.

TornLabrum
12-28-2003, 04:42 PM
The Sox are bad, but not 90 losses in the AL Central bad.

poorme
12-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Nothing surprises me in baseball.

Deadguy
12-28-2003, 05:57 PM
We won 86 games last year, so losing 90 games would mean that we would win 14 fewer games in 2004, than we did in 2003.

I honestly don't think the 2004 squad is that much of a downgrade vs. the 2003 squad, which was a legitimate playoff contender.

PaulDrake
12-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Baseball is predictably unpredictable. Just about every year there are teams that have done poorly that make a breakthrough and become contenders. This is ancient history but the 51 White Sox and 60 Orioles come to mind. Then there are teams that have done well, maybe very well, but for a variety of reasons are ready to tank. Like the 65 Yanks. The White Sox of recent years won't remind anybody of the vintage Yankees, but they haven't had a losing season since 99, and hopes have been high the past 3 seasons. They appear to me to be a team that is on the verge of that slippery slope. Right now they are short on pitching, starting and relieving. Willie Harris at 2b is downright scary. Rowand and Olivo are big question marks in my mind. Everytime I relax it looks like they are again ready to trade their best player for peanuts. I'm sorry, but Perez and Mota don't make my heart race. I may change my mind between now and April, but as of now a 90+ loss season would not surprise me in the least.

doublem23
12-28-2003, 06:37 PM
The Sox are still right in the thick of things for the AL Central crown. 90 losses would be shocking to me. If Ozzie can pump this team up to beat on their paltry division rivals, 90 wins isn't out of the question.

duke of dorwood
12-28-2003, 09:02 PM
84 losses right now

jabrch
12-28-2003, 11:48 PM
We have a better chance of winning 90 than losing 90...by a landslide.

RKMeibalane
12-29-2003, 12:06 AM
Nothing in baseball surprises me anymore. Having said that, I don't think it's going to happen. The AL Central is a weak division as it is, and there's no way Ozzie Guillen will cost his team as many games as "you know who" did.