PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Calderon Dead

santo=dorf
12-27-2003, 11:34 PM
I remember some people asking about whatever happened to him. http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/

Edit: I can't get this site to load, but if you do a google search for "Ivan Calderon," it'll be the first link posted with the news.

rmusacch
12-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I remember some people asking about whatever happened to him. http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/

Edit: I can't get this site to load, but if you do a google search for "Ivan Calderon," it'll be the first link posted with the news.

That is too bad. He was always one of my favorites.

doublem23
12-27-2003, 11:54 PM
The first link doesn't work, but this one should... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/baseball/mlb/12/28/bc.bbo.calderonkilled.ap/

RIP.

Brian26
12-28-2003, 12:06 AM
RIP.

His catch on the leftfield wall in Detroit was one of the most spectacular catches I've ever seen.

Viva Magglio
12-28-2003, 12:28 AM
SportsCenter reported that Calderon was slain in a convenience store. Two people walked into the store and shot Calderon several times in the back.

mike squires
12-28-2003, 12:29 AM
I've mentioned it before but the catch he made against the Yankees in the last year of the old park was awesome. I wonder what his work ethic was like. Seems like he was on the verge of being a steady ballplayer but went downhill fast.

duke of dorwood
12-28-2003, 12:33 AM
I dont think he came to play every day. When he wanted to, he was a very good player.

TornLabrum
12-28-2003, 12:45 AM
That's a sad story. RIP to a player I guess would qualify as a quirky favorite of mine.

ssang
12-28-2003, 01:41 AM
What a terrible way to go. That is just sad. RIP Ivan.

dugwood31
12-28-2003, 01:43 AM
RIP

Me and my friends used to love Ivan. He brought many smiles to my face during some dark years for the Sox.

SaltyPretzel
12-28-2003, 01:58 AM
Very depressing. He was one of the only interesting spots of some very lean years. RIP :(:

red faber
12-28-2003, 02:29 AM
it's such a shame

he was a good player and person!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick@Nite
12-28-2003, 02:52 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031228&content_id=623480&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Witnesses said Calderon was in a store when two people entered and, without a word, shot the former outfielder multiple times in the back

Absolutely senseless... why?

StillMissOzzie
12-28-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
RIP.

His catch on the leftfield wall in Detroit was one of the most spectacular catches I've ever seen.

Originally posted by dugwood31
RIP

Me and my friends used to love Ivan. He brought many smiles to my face during some dark years for the Sox.

Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Very depressing. He was one of the only interesting spots of some very lean years. RIP :(:

These three quotes say it all for me. I remember that catch in Detroit, too, climbing up the old ground-level scoreboard to pull a homer back. And yes, he was the bright spot during some dark days in the mid-to-late- 80's. He was too young at 41 to be out of baseball for as long as he was. RIP Ivan.

SMO
:(:

hose
12-28-2003, 07:24 AM
RIP

DrCrawdad
12-28-2003, 08:28 AM
Ivan's stats at BaseballReference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/caldeiv01.shtml)

ozzman
12-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Here's the link from chicagosports here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/cs-0312280382dec28,1,2592373.story?coll=chi-news-hed&csuser=egvvnd)

what a sad story. definitely one of my favorite players when i was really getting into baseball in my younger days

Deadguy
12-28-2003, 09:09 AM
RIP Ivan

How tragic. I figured he was much older than 41, since he had been out of baseball for so long, but I was surprised to see that he's actually 4 years younger than Rickey Henderson and Julio Franco, and the same age as Edgar Martinez.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Along with Harold Baines, Ivan Calderon was my favorite Sox ballplayer of the 80's. In fact I became a rabid Sox Fan largely because of these two ballplayers. They both were unappreciated jewels and they just seemed to epitomize what it meant to play for and root for a ballclub as cursed as the Sox.

I have literally thousands of dollars invested in Sox memorabilia, including an Old Comiskey chair and hundreds of vintage Sox baseball cards, but the one I'm proudest to own is a cracked game-used bat of Ivan Calderon's. I picked it up on eBay for $30. It's noted on my WSI profile. It's no coincidence that Calderon's picture appears in the Memories of Old Comiskey section, too.

Would be stars like Ivan Calderon received little attention. (http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Reinsdorf.htm)

I'm very sad to hear this news. I always hoped the Sox would bring back Calderon for SoxFest. He is the one guy I would truly have wanted to meet in person.

Rest in peace.

BKozi
12-28-2003, 11:54 AM
The late 80's weren't a great time to be a Sox fan but he was one of my favorites. .293/28/83 in 1987 were great numbers for a bad team. He will be missed.

soxfan26
12-28-2003, 12:08 PM
RIP

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-28-2003, 12:17 PM
RIP :(:

Lip Man 1
12-28-2003, 01:29 PM
It was the little things that he did particularly in 1990 that made him such a valuable team player.

More on that when his obit is posted here at WSI. You should see it in the next 36 hours.

Lip

JoseCanseco6969
12-28-2003, 02:28 PM
What a tragedy! I remember my first baseball game ever which was at old Comiskey and Calderon was the first player i ever saw to see hit a homerun. He'll be missed...too bad he had to go out that way.

mike squires
12-28-2003, 03:18 PM
I don't want to speculate anything here but I wonder if there was more to the story. If it was gang related, drugs involved, robbery? I remember Ivan used to wear all of those gold chains. I guess we might not know more until later.

Viva Magglio
12-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I don't want to speculate anything here but I wonder if there was more to the story. If it was gang related, drugs involved, robbery? I remember Ivan used to wear all of those gold chains. I guess we might not know more until later.

I do not want to disgrace Ivan's memory, but didn't he get into some sort of minor legal trouble in Puerto Rico a few years ago? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought something along those lines happened.

munchman33
12-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I do not want to disgrace Ivan's memory, but didn't he get into some sort of minor legal trouble in Puerto Rico a few years ago? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought something along those lines happened.

I think I remember that too, now that you mention it.

RedPinStripes
12-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Man that sucks. He was one of my favorites . What a cool guy too. He signed a few baseball cards for me at the old park. My grandmother used to work in the picnic area . Ivan used to joke with the women back there all the time. Also came over for water and soda. :gulp:

RKMeibalane
12-28-2003, 06:29 PM
RIP.

I too was surprised by the fact that he was only forty one, considering that he was out of baseball for ten years.

MarkV
12-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Ivan Calderon was one of my favorite Sox in the 80's. Too bad he had to go like that.

RIP.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2003, 09:44 PM
The rememberence piece is done and has been submitted to PHG for final formatting. I'd assume it will be up sometime tomorrow. I spoke with two of his former teammates as well as Tribune assistant sports editor Bob Vanderberg.

Hopefully this will give some insight into the type of player Ivan was. And I hope this is the final chapter of a bad year for White Sox faithful....first DeBusschere, then Battey now Calderon. They always say bad news comes in threes.

Lip

Dadawg_77
12-29-2003, 01:12 AM
RIP Ivan. He was one of my favorite players back in the day.

Dadawg_77
12-29-2003, 01:13 AM
A tribute piece from the Tribune. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/cs-031228calderon,1,6815414.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

VeeckAsInWreck
12-29-2003, 01:53 AM
I can't believe it. Ivan was the best player on those horrible Sox teams from the late 80's. It was great that he was able to finish his career with the Sox in 1993.

RIP

oharewx
12-29-2003, 02:34 AM
i loved ivan, he would always stop for autographs outside the white sox batting cage at old comiskey

SSN721
12-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
These three quotes say it all for me. I remember that catch in Detroit, too, climbing up the old ground-level scoreboard to pull a homer back. And yes, he was the bright spot during some dark days in the mid-to-late- 80's. He was too young at 41 to be out of baseball for as long as he was. RIP Ivan.

SMO

I completely agree, great moments in my time as a Sox fan. Still have his minor league card in my collection that has always been one of my favorite rarer cards. RIP Ivan, you will be missed.

DrCrawdad
12-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Link to Sun-Times story on Ivan's death. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-sox29.html)

washington
12-29-2003, 09:42 AM
The first time I ever saw Calderon I disliked him, until I saw him play and I liked him from then on. He was the best hitter on a pathetic 1987 team. And the first guy I ever saw stand and watch his highlights whenever they were played on the scoreboard. His murder is a sad thing for Sox fans

DrCrawdad
12-29-2003, 09:54 AM
From the WSI mainpage...

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/BaseballCards/Calderon88.jpg

Lip Man 1
12-29-2003, 01:03 PM
The AP has a story out this Monday quoting the Puerto Rican police as saying the killing was "execution style" with Ivan being shot seven times in the back and head. The story states he was at a bar where he was a regular when two men walked in, opened fire and left.

No arrests have been made as of this time.

Lip

maurice
12-29-2003, 04:06 PM
AP story, per ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1695847)

RIP, Ivan.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-29-2003, 05:54 PM
WSI's tribute to Ivan Calderon is now published on the main page by Mark Liptak.

Ivan Calderon Remembered (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2426)

TornLabrum
12-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Great article, Lip!

Brian26
12-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Lip, once again you did a tremendous job. Kudos on the nice piece.

One other note, I also remember this play vividly as my fondest Calderon memory. What sticks out in my mind so much about this particular game is that the inning that it occurred in really epitomized the 1990 season for the Sox. Immediately after the Calderon catch, Robin Ventura went to his right on a pop foul against the stands (near the camera well), and made another spectacular catch for the 2nd out. A cup of beer fell on him, and Ozzie Guillen was right there next to him to point at his glove to show the ump he caught the ball. If Hawk wasn't excited after the Calderon catch, he surely was after Robin's catch. The crowd was electric. Two great defensive plays in a row, followed by Thiggy's third out to wrap up the 9th inning. It was just a great memory about that 1990 season.

"Mike Squires" on the board and I have been talking about this game for the past year. I still have those two plays on tape somewhere, and we were trying to remember the date of the game. You answered our question... 6/29/90. A hot muggy night against the Yankees at Old Comiskey.

RIP Calderon.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-29-2003, 08:41 PM
Great article!! I just read it a while ago. You told a lot of stuff about him when he was on the Sox, unlike ESPN where they just mentioned the mariners

Viva Magglio
12-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Is there word on Ivan's funeral arrangements?

SluggersAway
12-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Where can I find pictures of this guy?

He sounds like one heluva guy.

(sorry, I'm a young'n, i feel stupid asking when everyone is talking about his rookie card and what a great guy he was...)

mike squires
12-29-2003, 11:28 PM
I kind of hate 'remembering' Ivan on some stupid baseball game or some nice catch but being a ball player and us fans I guess maybe it's appropriate...Another amazing play came on the last day of old Comiskey. It was late in the game and someone hit a sinking liner to left. Ivan came out of nowhere and snagged it at his shoelace. Ivan took a moment to highfive a few in the stands as he ran back to the dugout. IT may very well hve saved a Sox a loss in the last game at the ol yard.

DrCrawdad
12-29-2003, 11:37 PM
GREAT ARTICLE LIP! I ENJOYED IT VERY MUCH.

dugwood31
12-30-2003, 02:39 AM
If this thread isn't evidence of what great fans Sox fans are, I don't know what is. My favorite memory of Ivan was when me and my buddies went to Comiskey early in 1990, before that fun team and the "last season at historic comiskey park, years from now, you'll say you were there" advertising program started drawing big crowds. It was a cold, misty night - a Friday in May, I want to say - and we were all under 21 but got served plenty. We sat our beers on the outfield fence. Anyway, we had a blast with Ivan in the outfield, and after the game we saw him walking through the park no more than 15 minutes after the final out. He was very, very nice to us, even though he was clearly in a hurry. He took a quick shower! (We also saw Barry Jones walking around! :D:

Foulke You
12-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Nice article Lip. Listening to those Calderon audio clips brought back some memories too.

ode to veeck
12-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear such an all out hard nosed player like Ivan came to such an unfortunate end ... great job on whipping out the great article Lip

Viva Magglio
12-30-2003, 11:25 PM
On Tuesday, December 30, Ivan Calderon was buried in Loiza, Puerto Rico. Yahoo! News has a link (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=Ivan+Calderon) containing photos and links to AP stories of the wake that was held Monday and funeral that was held Tuesday.

"Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord. And let perpetual light shine upon him."

Lip Man 1
12-31-2003, 01:42 PM
Just curious.....

Does anybody know if the Sox sent a representative? or mentioned anything about Ivan at all?

Lip

Brian26
12-31-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just curious.....

Does anybody know if the Sox sent a representative? or mentioned anything about Ivan at all?

Lip

C'mon Lip. Don't go there.