*Sign Miguel Batista.
*Pick up Loaiza's option (done).
*Sign Rich Aurilia.
*Sign Luis Castillo.
*Sign Kenny Lofton.
*Sign Sandy Alomar.
*Trade Magglio to the Yankees for Karim Garcia and
Antonio Osuna.
*Trade Konerko to the Dodgers for Odalis Perez.
*Sign Curtis Leskanic.
*Call up some choochy third catcher.

Now, you have a lineup like this...

L Lofton CF
S Castillo 2B
R Frank 1B/DH
L Garcia RF
R C. Lee LF
L Palmeiro 1B/DH
R Aurilia SS
R Crede 3B
R Sandy/Olivo C

As that is a very fluid lineup, there are probably a
dozen legit lineups that can win there.

You then have a rotation of:
R Loaiza
L Buehrle
R Batista
L Perez
R Garland

I'd be curious to see how much better the White Sox
are with Jon Garland as a #5, where's he's belonged
for years.

The Bench would be:

B Olivo/Sandy
B Some Catcher (Kelly Stinnet?)
B Rowand
B Harris
B Borchard

And the bullpen would be:
R Leskanic
R Schoenweis
R Koch
R Osuna
L Marte
L Wunsch

I love Marte and Wunsch.

Most importantly, the salary structure of this team:

(in millions)
Frank 6.5
Buehrle 6
Castillo 5.5
Palmeiro 5.5
Lee 5.5
Koch 5.5
M. Batista 3.75
Loaiza 3.5
Schoenweis 2.75
Aurilia 2.75
C. Leskanic 1.725
Lofton 1.25
Sandy 1
Garcia 0.9
Wunsch 0.9
Marte 0.9
Borchard 0.5
Rowand 0.5
O. Perez 0.5
W. Harris 0.475
Olivo 0.45
Osuna 0.45
Garland 0.45
Crede 0.375
Some catcher 0.375
TOTAL: $58 million

Bench, bullpen, lineup, and defense are all
dramatically improved. Losing Konerko and Maggs
sucks, but losing their contracts provides some
muchneeded flexibility.

This would involve the humility of trading Konerko for Odalis Perez and Magglio to the Yankees, plus the clear PR hits that would happen after that. But there's no doubt in my mind that a team as good as the one I'm suggesting is possible, if only the Sox had some flexibility.

ondafarm
12-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Its a great lineup but first you'd have to get JR's permission on all the moves.

fquaye149
12-27-2003, 03:26 PM
i dont' think i could reconcile myself to trading maggs for osuna and garcia...everything else looks good though

Jjav829
12-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Uhhh....I don't get it. :?: :?:

Was this something you posted a while ago and were just reposting to see how many of the moves you wanted have been done so far? Otherwise why are you suggesting signing a bunch of players that have been signed already?

And why in the hell is Karim Garcia batting 4th in that lineup?

Dub25
12-27-2003, 04:07 PM
I believe I'm missing something as well. Some of the mentioned players are signed and if you really want Karim Garcia the Yankees released him so you wouldn't have to trade Mags for him. However, if you really want to trade Maggs and with Castillo already signed you can trade him to the Yanks for Soriano. At this point he would be the best guy to take for Maggs and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

LittleBears Suck
12-27-2003, 04:16 PM
I should have made it clearer...

So here's what I would do if I'm Kenny Williams the day after the World Series ends...

And then I made my post.

As for the players in question, the team I presented is both financially feasible and more talented than any Sox team of the last five years, probably longer.

Jjav829
12-27-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by LittleBears Suck
I should have made it clearer...

So here's what I would do if I'm Kenny Williams the day after the World Series ends...

And then I made my post.

As for the players in question, the team I presented is both financially feasible and more talented than any Sox team of the last five years, probably longer.

Maybe I'm just slow, but I still don't understand what the hell you are saying. The World Series IS over. Are you trying to say that is what you would have done once the WS was over? You didn't put in in past tense so I'm guessing that's not it. I'm confused here. Maybe I'm the only one who isn't picking up on what you are intending to say here.

LittleBears Suck
12-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Maybe I'm just slow, but I still don't understand what the hell you are saying. The World Series IS over. Are you trying to say that is what you would have done once the WS is over?

Yes, yes, you have it. I'm sorry.

I SUCK at this.

Jjav829
12-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Yes, yes, you have it. I'm sorry.

I SUCK at this.

Heh, no problem. I'm just glad I'm not crazy. :D: Well, maybe I still am...

ma-gaga
12-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Palmeiro 5.5
Lee 5.5
O. Perez 0.5
Garland 0.45

Damn good plan. I only have a couple of issues with your dollars. I think Palmeiro can be had for slightly less than the amount you do (maybe around $4.5MM), and I think that the W.Sox had to sign C.Lee where they did. If he was a free agent they may have been able to sign him for less.

Other than that, Perez was already on the hook for $2.5MM (3.5??) this year, and Garland is underpaid. A young innings eating pitcher in his third full year should get better than $2.0MM.

This only adds a couple of million to your projection and is still feasable. I don't know why you are thinking of carrying 3 catchers. I think the W.Sox are one of the few organizations that do this. Anyone know why this is so?

Brian26
12-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Just a ridiculous post. You guys are so much nicer than I would have been :)

Anyway, Jon Garland's going into his 5th year now (since he did get some time on the big club in 2000). A 5-year veteran with his kind of experience and his natural stuff isn't a 5th starter. He's a #3 or #4 on a good staff.

The other ridiculousness about trading Magglio for Fatsuna and Karim Garcia doesn't even deserve to be commented on.

munchman33
12-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Just a ridiculous post. You guys are so much nicer than I would have been :)

Anyway, Jon Garland's going into his 5th year now (since he did get some time on the big club in 2000). A 5-year veteran with his kind of experience and his natural stuff isn't a 5th starter. He's a #3 or #4 on a good staff.

The other ridiculousness about trading Magglio for Fatsuna and Karim Garcia doesn't even deserve to be commented on.

Not to mention that the dodgers would NEVER except the Odalis Perez for Paul Konerko deal. Dan Evans had that trade on the table for a whole month and didn't pull the trigger because it just doesn't make sense for them. There are cheaper free agents on the market (palmero, for one) that wouldn't cost him a great starting pitcher.

Lip Man 1
12-27-2003, 11:50 PM
"If I were Kenny Williams..."

I'd resign citing health reasons or some made up excuse. He can't win with all the constrants put on him by ownership. With his football type / win mentality this has got to be causing him some concern. If he resigns tactfully without owner bashing, he should be able to get another job in another organization in some capacity that may eventually be more rewarding for him and less stressful (i.e. remember all his comments about working out or hitting the treadmill after Sox losses?)

Lip

TornLabrum
12-28-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"If I were Kenny Williams..."

I'd resign citing health reasons or some made up excuse. He can't win with all the constrants put on him by ownership. With his football type / win mentality this has got to be causing him some concern. If he resigns tactfully without owner bashing, he should be able to get another job in another organization in some capacity that may eventually be more rewarding for him and less stressful (i.e. remember all his comments about working out or hitting the treadmill after Sox losses?)

Lip

He has a ready-made excuse following the incident with his sons last summer.

oharewx
12-29-2003, 02:36 AM
NO MORE OSUNA, I'VE HAD ENOUGH