PDA

View Full Version : Marlins to Orange Bowl?

Viva Magglio
12-27-2003, 12:19 PM
The Miami Herald is reporting (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7576989.htm) that the City of Miami will present the Marlins a proposal to revamp the Orange Bowl so that baseball can be played there. The Marlins would continue to share the Orange Bowl with the University of Miami football team.

There have been no architectural renderings yet, of course, but I cannot imagine how the Orange Bowl can be retrofitted for baseball. The place is a complete dump for football, yet alone baseball. The neighborhood isn't the best in the world either. I attended the 1991 Orange Bowl (Notre Dame vs. Colorado) there, and back then it looked ready for the wrecking ball. If a new stadium for the Marlins or whoever is build on the site, the Orange Bowl should be demolished instead of retrofitted.

CubKilla
12-27-2003, 12:27 PM
The Marlins win 2 WS and still, no one will build a baseball only facility for them.

Meanwhile, JR has brought ZERO WS Championships to Chicago and he "blackmails" Tampa and Chicago into building stadiums for him.

Considering the Marlins needs a baseball stadium and Chicago's SouthSide needs a WS, can't we just trade employees and owners in each respective Organization?

Daver
12-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
The Marlins win 2 WS and still, no one will build a baseball only facility for them.

Meanwhile, JR has brought ZERO WS Championships to Chicago and he "blackmails" Tampa and Chicago into building stadiums for him.

Considering the Marlins needs a baseball stadium and Chicago's SouthSide needs a WS, can't we just trade employees and owners in each respective Organization?

Considering the fact that the Marlins are owned by Jeffrey Loria,who "blackmailed"the league into buying the Expos and loaning him the money to buy the Marlins,I would just say no.

Brian26
12-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The Miami Herald is reporting (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7576989.htm) that the City of Miami will present the Marlins a proposal to revamp the Orange Bowl so that baseball can be played there.

Viva,

I saw a different story somewhere else, and I was under the impression that the Marlins would simply get a new baseball-only facility on the site of the Orange Bowl (but not actually in the existing Orange Bowl stadium).

Irishsox1
12-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Tearing down the Orange Bowl would be the greatest thing in the world. That stadium has been the site of many heart aches for me. '85 Bears loss to Dolphins and numerous Miami Hurricane wins. The stadium is a piece of crap in a crappy location, blow it up!!!

siugrad25
12-28-2003, 01:42 AM
Viva:

There was earlier report out of either the Palm Beach Post or Sun-Sentinel that the Marlins were looking at a stadium on the Orange Bowl site. The Herald's report was the first I seen on renovating the Bowl for baseball purposes.

Right after the World Series, Don King was offering his closed down jai-alai site:

MANGONIA PARK -- Boxing promoter Don King has told the Florida Marlins they could build their new stadium on a property he owns in Palm Beach County.

King owns a jai-alai fronton in Mangonia Park that he said would be an ideal site for the World Series champions' proposed park, spokesman Robert Weneck said. If the ballpark has a roof, King would stage boxing matches in arena during the offseason.

old link (http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/sports/C29734/)

Personally, I think the Marlins need to move north to Palm Beach County. Where I live on the Treasure Coast (Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Ft. Pierce and Vero Beach -- just north of PBC) is the fastest growing spot in Florida and to get the most out of South Florida, the Marlins should consider trying to get the most out of the area. They draw terrible down in Miami and moving near the Orange Bowl won't help.

red faber
12-28-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Daver
Considering the fact that the Marlins are owned by Jeffrey Loria,who "blackmailed"the league into buying the Expos and loaning him the money to buy the Marlins,I would just say no.

i'll bet you jeffrey loria would be an improvment over reinsdork!!!!!!!!

miker
12-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by red faber
i'll bet you jeffrey loria would be an improvment over reinsdork!!!!!!!!
Like lethal injection is supposedly "better" than the electric chair?

Baby Fisk
12-29-2003, 03:13 PM
But what if your owner is willing to buy you a WS, then give you a lethal injection?

Tekijawa
12-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
But what if your owner is willing to buy you a WS, then give you a lethal injection?

That's better than just giving you the injection and telling you that you like it!

Baby Fisk
12-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Or botching the injection, amputating your legs, then charging you more for another injection...

TheNotoriousKJC
12-29-2003, 06:26 PM
as of today NOTHING is for sure when it comes to a stadium, the city of miami is really being stuborn and the only reason Loria is thinking about the Orange Bowl is because he has a march 15th deadline for a $50million bed tax or else that money goes towards some other buildings...

and please dont compare Loria with Reinsdorf :D:

Daver
12-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by TheNotoriousKJC

and please dont compare Loria with Reinsdorf

I would never do that.

Jerry Reinsdorf merely blackmailed a city to get a stadium,compared to Jeffrey Loria,who blackmailed the league into buying the franchise he killed through mismanagement,and further blackmailed them into loaning him the money to buy another franchise in another market.

Reinsdorf has nothing on a snake like Loria.

whitesoxwilkes
12-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The Miami Herald is reporting (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7576989.htm) that the City of Miami will present the Marlins a proposal to revamp the Orange Bowl so that baseball can be played there. The Marlins would continue to share the Orange Bowl with the University of Miami football team.

There have been no architectural renderings yet, of course, but I cannot imagine how the Orange Bowl can be retrofitted for baseball. The place is a complete dump for football, yet alone baseball. The neighborhood isn't the best in the world either. I attended the 1991 Orange Bowl (Notre Dame vs. Colorado) there, and back then it looked ready for the wrecking ball. If a new stadium for the Marlins or whoever is build on the site, the Orange Bowl should be demolished instead of retrofitted.

I talked to a client of mine in Miami today and he likes the idea. He's of Cuban descent and would love to see the 'hood where the Orange Bowl is get turned around. He thinks the idea of putting the new park anywhere near where Pro Player is now is ludicrous since no one likes driving up to the middle of nowhere.