PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Weekly ranks last year's starting pitcher performances

munchman33
12-27-2003, 01:44 AM
This weeks edition of Baseball Weekly has it's annual ranking of starting pitchers for 2003

The top ten:
1) Jason Schmidt SF
2) Pedro Martinez BOS
3) Tim Hudson OAK
4) Brandon Webb AZ
5) Kevin Brown LA
6) Barry Zito OAK
7) Curt Schilling AZ
8) Mark Prior CHC
9) Esteban Loiaza CWS
10) Mike Mussina NYY

Colon was #30, Buerle #50, and Garland #62.

munchman33
12-27-2003, 02:07 AM
Just noticed that this issue also has a power ranking going into next year. Flubs are #3. We're all the way down at 19. :whiner:

LauraJ14
12-27-2003, 11:57 PM
And what was the criteria for this ranking?
Shilling and Webb were not better than ELO last year!

nasox
12-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Rankings are all well and good....except when they don't include Cy Young winners!?!?! Where, oh where is Roy Halliday on this list?

doublem23
12-28-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by nasox
Rankings are all well and good....except when they don't include Cy Young winners!?!?! Where, oh where is Roy Halliday on this list?

I guess they, like pretty much everyone else on the planet, didn't feel Roy Halladay deserved the Cy Young.

munchman33
12-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I guess they, like pretty much everyone else on the planet, didn't feel Roy Halladay deserved the Cy Young.

True. These rankings were based off all the statistics, not just wins and one awesome winning streak at midseason.

Huisj
12-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
True. These rankings were based off all the statistics, not just wins and one awesome winning streak at midseason.

there's something valuable about giving your team almost 270 innings and only allowing about 1 baserunner in each inning. that's dang good. in my opinion, those type of stats makes him a completely worthy candidate.

fquaye149
12-28-2003, 05:30 PM
there were only 2 stats where halladay was even remotely lacking and those were total k's and era...

however his k/bb was phenomenal and his era was nothing to sneeze at

munchman33
12-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Yes, but his overall strikeout numbers were not as good as the others on that list. After tossing all those innings, he should have led the league by quite a wide margin, and he didn't even lead the league.

And don't forget the immense amount of run support he recieved. Makes it a helluva lot easier to pitch.

Huisj
12-28-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
Yes, but his overall strikeout numbers were not as good as the others on that list. After tossing all those innings, he should have led the league by quite a wide margin, and he didn't even lead the league.

And don't forget the immense amount of run support he recieved. Makes it a helluva lot easier to pitch.

strikeouts are great, and yes, the stat freaks will tell you that they are a huge indicator of a pitcher's future sucess, but i don't think that you can really use them to argue that strogly for a cy young award. How many Cy Young's did Nolan Ryan win? zero.

The cy young is for the pitcher who had the best year in pitching, right? Halliday had a tremendous year, and just because he didn't strike as many people out as some other guys doesn't make his effectiveness last year any less. He got people out, he didn't give up runs much, and he pitched entire games. Ok, he got some run support, but because of how good he was aside from run support, I don't think that can be held against him.

Plus, part of the reason he may have won so many games may have been because he pitched so deeply into them. If he had come out of more 1-run or tied games earlier, he may not have gotten asmany wins if his team came from behind. The extra run support may have helped him get wins in these situations if they came from behind or broke a tie, but his ability to stay in the game that long and pitch effectively and then hold the lead he was given is a credit to him too.

I'm not saying that other people's arguments for other pitchers are way out there and are totally ridiculous. However, I am saying that to say that Halliday completely didn't deserve the award at all, hands down, is ridiculous. Don't knock a guy for winning a ton of games.