PDA

View Full Version : This is DEPRESSING

mike squires
12-27-2003, 12:26 AM
I just saw on ESPN.com that the Yankees are to pay 48.8 in revenue sharing. This is nearly the amount we are budgeting just to have a team in 2004. Geez.

CubKilla
12-27-2003, 12:32 AM
You're forgetting that the NYY's are a large-market team. The Sox are small-market.

munchman33
12-27-2003, 01:30 AM
Don't be so upset. The Yankees spend tons more than even the other large market teams. That tax doesn't even make up the gap between them and the next closest team!

mike squires
12-27-2003, 09:20 AM
I thnk that is why it makes it so depressing.

Irishlawyer
12-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
You're forgetting that the NYY's are a large-market team. The Sox are small-market.

Buck up, JR would trade all his Bull's trophys for just one world series trophy. He said so.

CubKilla
12-27-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Irishlawyer
Buck up, JR would trade all his Bull's trophys for just one world series trophy. He said so.

Of all of the lies White Sox fans have had to endure from the current Ownership..... including the one's from this offseason..... this is perhaps the biggest and most outrageous of them all.

idseer
12-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Of all of the lies White Sox fans have had to endure from the current Ownership..... including the one's from this offseason..... this is perhaps the biggest and most outrageous of them all.

perhaps not. perhaps what this really means is he doesn't give a damn about the basketball trophies either.
he lucked into those pretty much on the cheap.

voodoochile
12-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by idseer
perhaps not. perhaps what this really means is he doesn't give a damn about the basketball trophies either.

That's not entirely true. The Bulls were not a high payroll team for the first three championships, but Jordan alone was over the salary cap for the final 3.

Now of course the Bulls were making money hand over fist regardless and the value of the franchise skyrocketed beyond belief - which only goes to prove what Sox fans are saying. Build a winner for the city and it won't matter in a few years whether you are over budget today,

Not to beat a dead horse, but that is probably the only way the Sox get back into the fight with the flubbies for the hearts and minds of Chicago. Dug themselves a right solid looking hole now they just need to put down the damn shovel and start spending...

PaleHoseGeorge
12-27-2003, 07:39 PM

LOL! Only a Sox Fan could have this sort of perspective. For the record I agree with your sentiments, too. :smile:

:reinsy
"It's funny because it's true."

PINWHEELS
12-27-2003, 07:40 PM
No wonder why he passed out today in Tampa Bay!

PINWHEELS
12-27-2003, 07:42 PM
the BOSS that is, But he is doing FINE.

Brian26
12-27-2003, 07:58 PM

I believe JR when he says that. He's a baseball fan by heart. He grew up with the Brooklyn Dodgers. The basketball thing was just a side purchase for investment purposes that just happened to pay off big-time.

CubKilla
12-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I believe JR when he says that. He's a baseball fan by heart. He grew up with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

You've been hoodwinked, bamboozled, led astray, run-a-muck, etc., etc.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Brian:

I don't know if what you say is entirely true. In Sam Smith's book "The Jordan Rules" a member of the Bulls front office told Smith that Uncle Jerry got the Bulls as a hedge in case he ever had to unload the Sox. I think (and I can check in my copy of the book) that Smith labled the Sox of the mid 80's as a 'financial drain' on Uncle Jerry and that the Bulls would be a way for him to stay involved in sports since the NBA had a salary cap.

Lip

Brian26
12-28-2003, 01:10 AM
You've been hoodwinked, bamboozled, led astray, run-a-muck, etc., etc.

Any white, jewish kid that grew up in Brooklyn in the 50's is going to love baseball in his heart before the NBA.