Reed and Roger available from Minn.
Cory Lidle is available from Toronto.
Maddux from braves.
Ponson from Giants.
Rick Helling from florida
Andy Ashby from LA.
Pedro Astacio from the Mets.
Brett Tomko from the Cards.

These are the guys the we should be hearing rumors about. The sox need all the help they can get in the pitching dept. Most of these guys we could grap for 1-3 or 4 mil per season and get 15 wins. We cant rely on SS and our minor league pitchers to get us there. We should be going after cheap pitching help like this.

MHOUSE
12-25-2003, 02:03 AM
I'd rank those mentioned as follows:

Ponson
Maddux
Lide
Burkett
Tomko
Rogers
Reed
Astacio
Ashby
Helling

I'd be ok with giving 2-3 years and decent money to Ponson or Maddux. Lidle would make a great 4th starter IMO and Burkett, Rogers, Reed would be good veteran help for our staff unless KW wants to go young. Astacio is worth a shot if he can get healthy. Ashby and Helling are old and past their prime. We have enough crappy long relief without them.

SoxxoS
12-25-2003, 12:17 PM
I don't want Maddux. He is probably going to sign for nearly the same amount as Ponson, and Ponson is a much better option at this point.

Gumshoe
12-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Of all those guys, the best candidate (in that he's the greatest talent + the greatest probability to attract) is Corey Lidle. I think he could be productive, and not that expensive.

I'd love to give Ponson a shot, but we won't get him. I'm an optimist, but a realist too (KW does that to you, hehe)

Gumshoe

windycityson
12-25-2003, 03:32 PM
How about Melido Perez?

Soxdude
12-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Can we possibly get all those pitchers?
Burkett is available from boston.-Yes
Reed and Roger available from Minn.-No.
Cory Lidle is available from Toronto.-Yes
Maddux from braves.-Yes
Ponson from Giants.-Yes
Rick Helling from florida-No.
Andy Ashby from LA.-No.
Pedro Astacio from the Mets.-Minor League deal.
Brett Tomko from the Cards.-Minor League deal.

ma-gaga
12-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Most of these guys we could grap for 1-3 or 4 mil per season and get 15 wins.

So, how many runs would the Sox have to score to win 15 games??

doublem23
12-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't want Maddux. He is probably going to sign for nearly the same amount as Ponson, and Ponson is a much better option at this point.

Agreed. Maddux is going to get some sucker to shell out big bucks for him on his name alone. We don't need something like that.

Brian26
12-25-2003, 09:42 PM
I'd like to see them go after Damian Moss.

soxfan26
12-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
These are the guys the we should be hearing rumors about. The sox need all the help they can get in the pitching dept. Most of these guys we could grap for 1-3 or 4 mil per season and get 15 wins. We cant rely on SS and our minor league pitchers to get us there. We should be going after cheap pitching help like this. [/B]

Your on the right track, but not everyone on your list can be had for under $4m, and even the ones who can are too expensive for the Sox until they pull off one of the rumored trades to dump salary.

Ponson and Maddux will go for well over $4m per year. Burkett made $5.5m the last two seasons and he would probably retire before he would take a major paycut. Lidle, Tomko, Rogers, Reed, and Helling fit into the $4m and under category, but the Sox don't have $4m to spend. Astacio is coming off a torn labrum and might not be back to full strength. Ashby had TJ surgery and will most likely miss all of next season.

KW has said that the Sox might not do anything. But if he wants to try and pull another Loaiza from his hat or find some real bargains this off season here are a few options:

Robert Person, RHP - He could come with a very low price tag, and might even agree to a minor league contract if the Sox will give him a chance to earn a rotation spot. Rotoworld.com reported that he has been talking to Colorado. It shouldn't take much to convince him that pitching at sea level would be a better option. 2003 Salary: $300k

Mike Lincoln , RHP - Did not perform well in the closers role last season for Pittsburgh, but he had 2 solid seasons in relief in 2001 & 2002. Could be a nice cheap addition to the bullpen. 2002 Salary: $300k

Carl Sadler , LHP - Non-tendered by Cleveland, even though he had good numbers at AAA and posted a 1.86 ERA in 9.2 IP with the tribe. He even caught a purse snatcher last April with Brian Anderson. The pen is crowded with lefties and Cleveland is said to be set to offer him a minor league contract, but he could be a good pickup. 2002 Salary: $300k

Alfredo Gonzalez, RHP - Non-tendered by LA, but thought to be a good prospect, probably would spend next season at AAA, has some arm troubles also. Did not pitch in the majors last season.

Don't be suprised if the Sox rotation next year looks like this...

Buehrle
Loazia
Garland
Shoeneweis
Cotts & Co.

ugh... it's hurts to say that outloud.

cbrownson13
12-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I'd like to see them go after Damian Moss.

I would also like to see them go after Moss.

npdempse
12-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Let me get out my harp again to say that Maddux WILL NOT pitch in the AL. Get him off the list. We should go after Ponson, but I doubt we'll get him. I think collusion isn't going to work in the market for starting pitching this off-season, what with the AL East free-for-all and Millwood getting off the market.

BTW, Nice post 26; hope the Sox scouting system can find some guys like that for non-roster invites. But I find myself not being all that scared of that projected rotation. Call me crazy.

poorme
12-26-2003, 06:25 PM
These are what I see as "viable" options:

__Ashby, Andy
__Burkett, John
__D'Amico, Jeff
__Estes, Shawn
__Hernandez, Orlando
__Johnson, Jason
__Lidle, Cory
__Lima, Jose
__Moss, Damian
__Person, Robert
__Reed, Rick
__Rogers, Kenny
__Rusch, Glendon
__Stephenson, Garrett
__

MHOUSE
12-27-2003, 02:02 AM
Ponson 3 years $9-12 million
Lidle 2 years $5-6 million

I'd sign one of those two contracts as our 3rd or 4th starter and then Burkett for 1 year $1 million to "compete" with Schoenweiss as our 5th starter. I'd also offer minor league contracts to Tomko and Astacio to see if they'd bite.

Loaiza
Buehrle
Ponson
Lidle
Garland

That sounds great to me! :)

StillMissOzzie
12-27-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Ponson 3 years $9-12 million
Lidle 2 years $5-6 million

IMHO, your price tags should be filed under Wishful Thinking. I believe I saw on ESPN.com that Ponson made $4.25M last year, so I think a pay cut is not a realistic offer. I predict that he'll get an offer more like 3 / $18-20M, and that it WON'T be from the cheap Sox.

No idea what Lidle made last year, but I think that's a more realistic option these days...

SMO
:gulp:

munchman33
12-27-2003, 08:14 AM
I know this is going to anger a lot of people, but I just don't believe Kenny Williams is going to make any moves to improve our starting pitchers. I don't think he wants to trade our best sluggers, and I don't think he will be able to trade our unwanted sluggers. Judging by the state of the AL Central, Kenny probably plans on going with Buerle, Loaiza, and Garland and then letting spring training decide who else. Neal Cotts, John Rauch, Danny Wright, and Rule 5 pickup Jason Grilli will all get a chance to claim spots. Kenny will also sign some veterans to minor league deals looking for another Loaiza, but probably nothing more. Don't be surprised to see Pedro Astacio in spring training.

MHOUSE
12-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Ponson made $4.25M last year, so I think a pay cut is not a realistic offer. I predict that he'll get an offer more like 3 / $18-20M, and that it WON'T be from the cheap Sox.

No idea what Lidle made last year, but I think that's a more realistic option these days...

According to his player file on ESPN.com, Lidle made a little over $5 million last season. After going 12-15 with a 5+ ERA I doubt he'll command that type of money as a free agent. I think 2 years $3-4 million would be all right. I'd still like Burkett as a 5th starter (1 year, $1 million) instead of Cotts, Rauch, Honel, etc.

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Lidle
Burkett