PDA

View Full Version : Rennovations not progressing?

joeynach
12-24-2003, 02:50 PM
It seems there has been a recent slow down in the rennovations to our field. I drove past on Sunday hoping to take pics, but there was nothing new. No new equipment, trucks, or anything was on the grounds. It looks exactly as it did Dec 1. The remmoval is complete but they haven't upgraded or started upgrading. You would think you would see masonry, new materials and such inside the perimeter they set up for the new councourse, but nothing. I saw nothing for the new roof either, material or equipment wise. It looks like they haven't done anything in weeks. I just though we would start seeing some work done on erecting the new roof, supports or something. But nothin!!

maurice
12-24-2003, 02:56 PM
It looks like they're doing prep work for the new roof. Since demolition was completed, they positioned lifts near all or most of the UD supports and two immense cranes in the parking lot immediately West of the park. I don't suspect they'll get much work done this week, though.

:)

doublem23
12-24-2003, 04:49 PM
It is the holidays.

Soxdude
12-24-2003, 07:55 PM
The Sox start up construction in January, or early February at the latest.

Lip Man 1
12-24-2003, 09:14 PM
Joey:

If what you say is true that would go along with the renovations on the field as well. They don't seem to be progressing either! (I'm talking about adding talented players...)

Lip

duke of dorwood
12-24-2003, 10:41 PM
I go by there twice a day-nothing's been done for several weeks

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I go by there twice a day-nothing's been done for several weeks

That you can see from the outside. Don't forget, there are changes being made like putting patios on the lower level of skyboxes, adding a second level to the fan deck, etc.

StillMissOzzie
12-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Since there haven't been any player moves to speak of, the renovations will be all the news at this year's SoxFest.

SMO
:angry:

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Since there haven't been any player moves to speak of, the renovations will be all the news at this year's SoxFest.

SMO
:angry:

Perhaps we should have a poll as to who thinks Uncle Jer will even show his face at SoxFest.

Speaking of which, have you seen on the Sox website who is scheduled to appear at SoxFest? This should have them tearing down the walls to get in: Ozzie Guillen, Joe Crede, Willie Harris, Miguel Olivo, and Aaron Rowand.

The marketing department must have worked overtime to come up with that list! I can't wait for January 31 to come. Can you?

Brian26
12-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Speaking of which, have you seen on the Sox website who is scheduled to appear at SoxFest? This should have them tearing down the walls to get in: Ozzie Guillen, Joe Crede, Willie Harris, Miguel Olivo, and Aaron Rowand.[/COLOR]

They usually wait until a couple of weeks before the event to announce the big names like Frank or Maggs.

voodoochile
12-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Perhaps we should have a poll as to who thinks Uncle Jer will even show his face at SoxFest.

Speaking of which, have you seen on the Sox website who is scheduled to appear at SoxFest? This should have them tearing down the walls to get in: Ozzie Guillen, Joe Crede, Willie Harris, Miguel Olivo, and Aaron Rowand.

The marketing department must have worked overtime to come up with that list! I can't wait for January 31 to come. Can you?

They are doing it Super Bowl weekend too? Oh man... talk about the absolute best time to break bad news to your sports fans. Who will be listneing?

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
They usually wait until a couple of weeks before the event to announce the big names like Frank or Maggs.

And this year, they have to wait to see what salaries Uncle Jer can dump.

:KW

"After all, you can't spend a dollar when all you have is fifty cents."

:reinsy

"I like to think of it as addition by subtraction: addition to my bank account by subtraction of cash going to salaries."

voodoochile
12-24-2003, 11:50 PM
And this year, they have to wait to see what salaries Uncle Jer can dump.

:KW

"After all, you can't spend a dollar when all you have is fifty cents."

"I like to think of it as addition by subtraction: addition to my bank account by subtraction of cash going to salaries."

*****!!

Hal, you are killing me tonight. Mery Xmas...

joeynach
12-24-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Joey:

If what you say is true that would go along with the renovations on the field as well. They don't seem to be progressing either! (I'm talking about adding talented players...)

Lip

Haha, u are quite the funny man.

white sox bill
12-25-2003, 07:54 AM
Rennovations not progressing?

Gee, maybe JR and KW are looking to slash more budget and hire a cheaper contractor...or worse, JR ran out of funds and we all will have to put up w/the mess like it is now. Who cares if there are some 20,000 seats in limbo?

When you only draw 16,000 per game, doesn't really matter..
Bill

soxnut
12-26-2003, 10:06 AM
There is work being done. There are steel supports being installed on the center part of the angled part of the concrete supports. If you don't look closely, it's not very noticeable.

Brian26
12-26-2003, 01:19 PM
They definitely need to keep going if they're going to finish by the middle of March. I don't anticipate any major breaks in work after the holidays.

CubKilla
12-26-2003, 02:13 PM
They definitely need to keep going if they're going to finish by the middle of March. I don't anticipate any major breaks in work after the holidays.

They were still working on USCF the night before Opening Day in 2003.

Brian26
12-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

And you can guarantee it wasn't planned to happen that way. Ideally, they should be wrapped up two weeks before the season opener. Because of weather or construction delays, they probably had to eat up all of the cushion time they had originally estimated.

The Critic
12-26-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm sure the park will be ready, since management hasn't spent any time on anything else this offseason.

anewman35
12-26-2003, 05:08 PM

I'm not sure if they ever planned to finish everything by opening day, but they didn't really finish everything until right before the all-star game. By opening day, they hadn't changed a lot of the blue signs on the outside of the park (ticket window signs) to black, hadn't completly painted the ramps, and hadn't put in a lot of the new light fixtures on the ground and the tops of the ramps.

Daver
12-26-2003, 05:08 PM

I know,I was there until 5 AM of opening day.

Nothing like pulling a 20 hour shift.

Brian26
12-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I know,I was there until 5 AM of opening day.

Nothing like pulling a 20 hour shift.

Mercy. Do you switch from time-and-a-half to double-time after hour #16?

Daver
12-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Mercy. Do you switch from time-and-a-half to double-time after hour #16?

We got paid double time for everything after eight hours,for agreeing to stay and get it done no matter what.

The Sox brass also gave us tickets for the home opener as a thank you for making the effort,good seats in the lower level to boot.

Brian26
12-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The Sox brass also gave us tickets for the home opener as a thank you for making the effort,good seats in the lower level to boot.

"Who loves ya, baby?"

maurice
12-29-2003, 03:56 PM
A team of surveyors and a flatbed truck carrying several large steel beams were present at the Cell this morning.

Tekijawa
12-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by maurice
A team of surveyors and a flatbed truck carrying several large steel beams were present at the Cell this morning.

I heard they are erecting a "Salute to mediocrity" statue outside of gate 2. Terry Bevington and Jerry Manuel are both supposed to give 1 line speeches when they unveil it. It's not going to be much to look at but it will be "fan friendly" and will cost a FORTUNE!

duke of dorwood
12-29-2003, 06:29 PM
The beams will not be erected until they are sponsored

TommyJohn
12-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I heard they are erecting a "Salute to mediocrity" statue outside of gate 2. Terry Bevington and Jerry Manuel are both supposed to give 1 line speeches when they unveil it. It's not going to be much to look at but it will be "fan friendly" and will cost a FORTUNE!

I like that idea. The statue can be one of Bevington with one
hand on the other arm, signalling for "The Phantom Relief Pitcher."

Bev: "Thanks for the tributary. I always wanted a statue, and
the reason I wanted a statue is cuz I wanted a statue. Like I
tol' Richie Garcia over drinks at Gibson's, I really like gettin' a
statue and that call you made stunk so let's fight about it again
right here!"

Better yet, the statue of Bev should show him in a more familiar
position, with his head planted firmly up his rear.

TornLabrum
12-30-2003, 01:13 AM
I think the Bevington statue should feature a tape loop of Boomer telling the umpire the ball was fair when he really meant to say foul. I've always resented the fact that he never gave credit to Bugs Bunny for being the inspiration for that.

CubKilla
01-03-2004, 04:01 PM
The roof support installation began on 01/02/04. Upper deck concourse renovations (the gray, steel beams about 5 rows below the top of the upper deck) are now visible from IDOT at 35th and Normal.