PDA

View Full Version : Trade

T-Bag
12-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Since the A-Rod/Manny deal is dead. Will KW look to ship Maggs off to LA for Mota and Perez anyway? We need SP and BP help bad and I think our hitting will survive. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see Maggs go but the situation we are in, this makes the most sense.

mike squires
12-24-2003, 11:17 AM
T-Bag~I think it's clear the WhiteSox are going with their current pitchers and hoping one of the young pitchers (Rauch or Cotts) steps it up. Although Rauch can't be all that young anymore.

Hey, being from Laffeyette, would you happen to know Jeremiah Sinks or a Holley Henedy?

T-Bag
12-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Nope, don't know them. I am not originally from here. Moved here about 4 years ago for my job. So, if they don't work with me or play softball w/ me I probably don't know them.

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
T-Bag~I think it's clear the WhiteSox are going with their current pitchers and hoping one of the young pitchers (Rauch or Cotts) steps it up. Although Rauch can't be all that young anymore.

Hey, being from Laffeyette, would you happen to know Jeremiah Sinks or a Holley Henedy?

According to Bill Melton on Dec. 8, Rauch had three surgeries done on him. He had Tommy John surgery on his elbow, and rotator cuff and torn labrum surgery done on his shoulder. He'll be lucky if he's ever effective again.

Huisj
12-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
According to Bill Melton on Dec. 8, Rauch had three surgeries done on him. He had Tommy John surgery on his elbow, and rotator cuff and torn labrum surgery done on his shoulder. He'll be lucky if he's ever effective again.

Has anyone else heard about this? When did he have the tommy john surgery? I thought all his problems were shoulder problems.

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Has anyone else heard about this? When did he have the tommy john surgery? I thought all his problems were shoulder problems.

That's all I had heard, too, and Melton's saying otherwise surprised the heck out of me, and I assume the hundred or so other people who were there when he said it.

Iwritecode
12-24-2003, 12:33 PM

You don't mean this year do you?

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
You don't mean this year do you?

No, he had the surgeries a year or so ago, I think.

Iwritecode
12-24-2003, 12:44 PM
No, he had the surgeries a year or so ago, I think.

You scared me there for a second. I thought you meant he had something done just a couple of weeks ago.

IIRC, he missed most of the 2001 season because of surgery. He should be about 2 years removed from his surgery so hopefully, he will start improving a little more now...

soxtalker
12-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by T-Bag
Since the A-Rod/Manny deal is dead. Will KW look to ship Maggs off to LA for Mota and Perez anyway? We need SP and BP help bad and I think our hitting will survive. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see Maggs go but the situation we are in, this makes the most sense.

I think that a lot depends on what Danny Evans feels that he needs to do and what his options are. This seems to be a very fluid situation. In addition to the various deadlines that defined what FA's were available, Evans was looking at a new ownership. The latest report (maybe last week??), however, seemed to indicate that the sale wasn't a sure thing afterall -- or at least might get delayed. While we don't hear much about this in Chicago, I wouldn't be surprised if it has some impact on big trades.

TaylorStSox
12-24-2003, 01:58 PM
I don't know if I would take Melton's word for it really. I remember him doing the post game show last year and having no clue who a few of our prospects were.

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I don't know if I would take Melton's word for it really. I remember him doing the post game show last year and having no clue who a few of our prospects were.

One of the funniest lines came when somebody asked how Juan Uribe's last name was pronounced. Melton turned to Minnie Minoso, and asked, "How do you pronounce it?" Minnie replied, "I don't know."

Huge laugh.

PaulDrake
12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by T-Bag
Since the A-Rod/Manny deal is dead. Will KW look to ship Maggs off to LA for Mota and Perez anyway? We need SP and BP help bad and I think our hitting will survive. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see Maggs go but the situation we are in, this makes the most sense. I'm glad it makes sense to you, because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Lip Man 1
12-24-2003, 02:24 PM
I think Williams is serious when he stated to the papers about a week or so ago that he's comfortable going into the 2004 season with his current roster.

The reality is that he's probably dying inside because I think he wants to win and he knows his chances of doing so are small considering the restrictions that he has to work with.

Lip

jeremyb1
12-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox

I don't see how that could be true. Tommy John surgery almost always takes around 18 months prior to throwing in a game again. Rauch was pitching in spring training in '01 about 9 months after his surgery. There's no way he could've done that with TJ surgery.

T-Bag
12-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
I'm glad it makes sense to you, because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

It makes sense because after next year, Maggs walks...period. No way in hell we re-sign him. So why not get 2 holes filled for him. Again, I LOVE Maggs but that might be what has to be done.

MHOUSE
12-25-2003, 01:09 AM
IIRC all of Rauch's injuries were shoulder problems. I don't think he ever had tommy john surgery. That must be a mistake. How old is Rauch nowadays? It seems to me that his time for making an impact has come. If he's not our 5th starter or contributing consistently otherwise by the end of this season then I think it's time to let go of the hope that he'll do anything. Cotts is still young.....

jeremyb1
12-25-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
IIRC all of Rauch's injuries were shoulder problems. I don't think he ever had tommy john surgery. That must be a mistake. How old is Rauch nowadays? It seems to me that his time for making an impact has come. If he's not our 5th starter or contributing consistently otherwise by the end of this season then I think it's time to let go of the hope that he'll do anything. Cotts is still young.....

Rauch will be 25 to begin next season. That's not particularly old considering he lost a year to arm surgery plus the year it typically takes a pitcher to regain his form after surgery. He pitched solidly in AAA last season especially down the stretch. Also, a big problem he had was that he surrendered 16 home runs in 125 ip. That problem might be remedied by playing in larger ballparks since Charlotte is generally thought to be a band box. His k/bb rate was a strong 94/35. He should be able to contribute to our staff in some capacity next season as long as his health remains in tact.