PDA

View Full Version : 58 Million Dollar Budget. Preposterous.

Hangar18
12-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Sure, you can possibly win with that......
But why would you take a chance with the roulette wheel like that? Knowing full well there were people out there had you
spent even just 10mill more .........

dickallen15
12-23-2003, 09:55 PM
I really doubt the White Sox have a hard line 58 million dollar payroll. If the right guy is out there they definitely will go over, they just can't right now because they have to get rid of some people. The ARod trade was definitely holding them up, they were looking to turn Magglio's salary into 2 to 5 players who could really contribute. Now that that option is gone, Kenny will have to move on to another plan. I think you will start to see some things happening real soon.

cornball
12-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Plan "B" better be good.

soxnut
12-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
I really doubt the White Sox have a hard line 58 million dollar payroll. If the right guy is out there they definitely will go over, they just can't right now because they have to get rid of some people. The ARod trade was definitely holding them up, they were looking to turn Magglio's salary into 2 to 5 players who could really contribute. Now that that option is gone, Kenny will have to move on to another plan. I think you will start to see some things happening real soon.

I'd have to agree with that payroll thing. I really don't see it as a hard line either. And really they don't have to spend that much more. A couple additions in the right places and maybe the payroll goes between 65 and 70 mil. I think alot of people could live with that. I really don't think spending anywhere over that is guaranteed success anyway. We do have a good ballclub, but another 10 mil spent in the right place and the Sox will be fine.

inta
12-24-2003, 05:20 AM
well their payroll was 71 mill last year (some of which was paid by the mets and the rangers). i would definitely like to see them at least come CLOSE to that.

but i do not think reinsdorf is losing money on the sox, i dont think he ever has. hell keep the damn home run deck planned for next year and sign us some players with that US Cellular money.
or spend some of that money jordan made across town for you (the interest on which alone has to be a sickeningly high number)jerry and put it towards what you always wanted, a world series ring.

god, i'm starting to sound like moronatti.

:moron

gosox41
12-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by cornball
Plan "B" better be good.

I think they may be on Plan Z

Bob

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by inta

but i do not think reinsdorf is losing money on the sox, i dont think he ever has. hell keep the damn home run deck planned for next year and sign us some players with that US Cellular money.
or spend some of that money jordan made across town for you (the interest on which alone has to be a sickeningly high number)jerry and put it towards what you always wanted, a world series ring. \

Two points:

1) The U.S. Cellular money was earmarked for ballpark improvements. It cannot be used for players. If the Sox would try that, they'd be in breach of their agreement, and U.S. Cellular could probably unilaterally void the deal and demand their money back.

2) The Bulls and Blackhawks are two separate entities. They have separate budgets, etc. They are not subsidiaries of the same corporation. Therefore, Bulls money can't be used to improve the Sox or vice versa.

I believe the biggest investor in the Bulls is Lamar Hunt (of KC Chiefs fame). I don't know if he's an investor in the Sox, however. I do know that his fortune makes that of the rest of the Sox ownership (not to mention the Bulls owners) look like pikers.

cornball
12-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by inta
well their payroll was 71 mill last year (some of which was paid by the mets and the rangers). i would definitely like to see them at least come CLOSE to that.

or spend some of that money jordan made across town for you (the interest on which alone has to be a sickeningly high number)jerry and put it towards what you always wanted, a world series ring.

god, i'm starting to sound like moronatti.

:moron

Over 10 million was paid by other clubs for Everett and Alomar last year. The problem with the 58 million budget was leaked out. If they go over their budget or not doesn't matter. Preception is reality in this case.

The Sox are cheap, fans don't see them being competitive at this point, suffering the season tix sales, players see the writing on the wall and can't even count on staying here a full season. The "bargain FA" have so many choices why would they want to come here, other than to stay in the league.

The casual fan has many options now with minor league teams throughout the area.

If the Sox would have signed Colon (or another high profile player) and stated we are going for it all......keeping their budget in mind in the process while staying quiet...we all would have blindly supported that. Why are they so good at keeping quiet about player moves, but not about how much money they will spend? Interesting.

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by cornball
Over 10 million was paid by other clubs for Everett and Alomar last year. The problem with the 58 million budget was leaked out. If they go over their budget or not doesn't matter. Preception is reality in this case.

The Sox are cheap, fans don't see them being competitive at this point, suffering the season tix sales, players see the writing on the wall and can't even count on staying here a full season. The "bargain FA" have so many choices why would they want to come here, other than to stay in the league.

The casual fan has many options now with minor league teams throughout the area.

If the Sox would have signed Colon (or another high profile player) and stated we are going for it all......keeping their budget in mind in the process while staying quiet...we all would have blindly supported that. Why are they so good at keeping quiet about player moves, but not about how much money they will spend? Interesting.

I'm as die-hard as any Sox fan can be, and I've already paid for two packages totalling 15 games at Kane County (seads in the fourth row in the 10-game package and in the eighth row in the 5-game package, both behind the plate) and a 9-game package here in Joliet (seventh row behind the plate), that also includes opening day and Northern League All-Star tix in the same seats.

I've heard a rumor that the Sox are discontinuing the Sox-7 package, which I usually buy two of every year. If that's the case, you might see about as much of me at Comiskey as you did in '95 after the strike when I went to four or five games. If they fail to improve this team, you might not see me there at all.

npdempse
12-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
But why would you take a chance with the roulette wheel like that? Knowing full well there were people out there had you
spent even just 10mill more .........

I just got back from FL, and read in the St. Petersburg Times a column calling out JR for being such a tightwad, saying that he needs to recognize once and for all that he's in a major market, especially since the Cubs have been able to win something. We're the freaking LAUGHING STOCK of MLB.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2003, 11:08 AM
I have just three words for Reinsdorf's $58 million payroll:

Cheap, timid, and stupid.

boog_alou
12-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I'd have to agree with that payroll thing. I really don't see it as a hard line either. And really they don't have to spend that much more. A couple additions in the right places and maybe the payroll goes between 65 and 70 mil
I'm sorry, but even $65 million is a pipe dream. All along, the organization has been clear that the payroll ceiling is $58-60 million. KW was quoted at the winter meetings as saying that JR might be willing to go "slightly higher than $58 million". Sounds like $60 million is still the ceiling. $61 million? Maybe.

But, I hope everyone realizes that with current commitments and arbitration awards coming, the Sox payroll is currently a little over $63 million, meaning the Sox have to dump salary just to get under budget, much less sign any FA's.

joecrede
12-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by boog_alou
But, I hope everyone realizes that with current commitments and arbitration awards coming, the Sox payroll is currently a little over $63 million, meaning the Sox have to dump salary just to get under budget, much less sign any FA's.

A $63M team with lots of holes ...

Isn't anyone concerned with how Williams is spending the money?

TornLabrum
12-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

You bet. The monker Prof. Chaos is waiting in the wings and anxious to be pulled out of mothballs.

boog_alou
12-24-2003, 01:24 PM

Some spending mistakes have been glaring. $1.5 - 2 million for Schoeneweis is not wise. $5 million for Valentin is a crime.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-24-2003, 01:26 PM

Are any pitchers willing to pay the white sox $5 million to pitch here?

PaulDrake
12-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
spent even just 10mill more ......... I couldn't agree with you more. Nobody is saying spend like the Yankees and Red Sox, but be a little flexible. What if the Sox spend say 70-75 Million, have a team that goes deep in the playoffs while drawing say 2.5 million? This team won't make money for JR and his investors?

Lip Man 1
12-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Npdemp:

Would you by chance have a link to that column?

Lip

npdempse
12-25-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Npdemp:

Would you by chance have a link to that column?

Lip

Hopefully this works--
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/doc/506469551.html?MAC=5c7be057e9345cbd9f73b77ea0f7019 f&did=506469551&FMT=FT

Otherwise, the relevant quote (Topkins, Mark. "Megadeal reveals unsavory lessons, "SPTimes, 12/21/03):

The White Sox refuse to act like the large-market team they are. Having already lost seven key players to free agency, they jumped at the chance to dump their best player, Magglio Ordonez, on the Red Sox rather than pay him $14-million the year before free agency. How does Sox ownership ever expect to overtake the Cubs as the No. 1 team in the Second City if it is constantly churning players as soon as they get even a little bit expensive? Plus, it doesn't bode well for new manager Ozzie Guillen, who considers Ordonez one of his favorites.

Brian26
12-26-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Are any pitchers willing to pay the white sox $5 million to pitch here?

LOL. Great line regarding the expected $63 million dollar payroll.