PDA

View Full Version : The Medias Cold Icy Grip extends to the West Coast...

Hangar18
12-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Greetings from Somewhat sunny San Diego CA. Just wanted
to relate an interesting conversation I had with a couple of baseball fans in a bar here yesterday. Though this isnt anything "new", it is just as Important to note where and when. I got to chatting and talking Baseball with this bartender guy, and he saw my White Sox shirt and surmised I was from Chicago.
Hes never been to Chicago, but asked me a number of really good questions about the team. Seems the Media web of Deceit and Lies even extends out this way. On my being a sox fan, he asked how hard it must be to be "outnumbered". I remarked that thats not really true, the Media considers "full" stadiums to 3/4 full stadiums as a gauge for that. When I told him that Wrigley was actually a "tourist" trap, he was very surprised. On why White Sox fans kept attacking and running on the field "that one nite". Since I was at the game, I had to tell him what REALLY happened, and how all those people that nite were Cub fans from the previous afternoon game, and how there were numerous fights in the stands between sox and flub fans. Telling that story was interesting, because a couple of other guys listened in, and all felt like they were being Let in on a "secret", or a "behind-the-scenes" kind of story. They all asked of course, how did i know they were cub fans. I told him
the next day on the local news, all were interviewed and all admitted being drunk from the afternoon game earlier that day.

I told the many many amusing and shocking anecdotes ive had of
cub fans not knowing the scores of the games, or asking who was pitching. I told the story of how an Entire Bar (sports corner) Cheered unknowingly, for a Replay of a HR hit by a cub
earlier in the game, only to be Quickly and Embarrassingly Hushed when the replay ended to show the batter about to hit.
(these guys were Absolutely Shocked by that. They couldnt believe that happened, but I swore to them it did. I could see
the cubpoganda Fizzling out of their heads)

I quickly put to rest the Notion that their fans were "Loyal" and show up in numbers. I mentioned a trip I made with several other sox fans out to LA last season, and how we were all surprised by the huge numbers of White Sox fans that were in Dodger Stadium that weekend. I admittedly almost "believed-the-hype" and was pleasantly surprised to see us there in strong numbers. Was this reported on the news? no.

I also put to rest the Idea that Comiskey wasnt "safe". Guy at the end of the bar: "I hear people get shot or robbed going to games over there, is that right?". Of course it wasnt I explained. I also reminded them which team was owned by a Major Media entertainment outlet.

Though I didnt convert any Sox Fans in that bar, The couple of guys who were listening intently admitted knowing there was a "WHITE SOX" team that played in Chicago, but discovered a new found Respect for our team and the Fans and honestly had no Idea we were so "into your team" ......

kittle42
12-23-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I also put to rest the Idea that Comiskey wasnt "safe". Guy at the end of the bar: "I hear people get shot or robbed going to games over there, is that right?". Of course it wasnt I explained. I also reminded them which team was owned by a Major Media entertainment outlet.

You know, Yankee Stadium is a major hole in a horrible neighborhood...probably worse than Comiskey. Yet, amazingly , winning attracts fans!

hose
12-23-2003, 10:22 PM
hangar I think Reinsdorf should give you Ambassador status.
(of course this would be a non-funded title) :D:

maurice
12-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Great job. Keep fighting the good fight.

It would be nice if the Sox employees who actually get PAID to do PR work were half as effective.