PDA

View Full Version : I like what Arizona did

tanko
12-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Signing Reynolds for 1 yr 1 million good move.Godd 4 or 5 guy.Plus Sparks is a useful knuckeball arm who can eat innings for half a million.Good bargain hunting.

poorme
12-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Sparks for $500,000? Oh, man that would have been a nice pickup.

But no sense in making moves just for the heck of it!

Lip Man 1
12-23-2003, 08:19 PM
At this point in time it looks like the Sox have zero chance to do anything to improve themselves going into 2004. I'll be very curious to hear Kenny Williams explain this and to hear the 'company spin' on this inactivity.

Personally I think this is eating Williams up...he's got a football player's mentality and appears to want to win. I'd be willing to wager that he resigns as Sox GM in the next two years. I don't think he can live with his desire to win and his hands being tied by ownership.

Lip

dickallen15
12-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
At this point in time it looks like the Sox have zero chance to do anything to improve themselves going into 2004. I'll be very curious to hear Kenny Williams explain this and to hear the 'company spin' on this inactivity.

Personally I think this is eating Williams up...he's got a football player's mentality and appears to want to win. I'd be willing to wager that he resigns as Sox GM in the next two years. I don't think he can live with his desire to win and his hands being tied by ownership.

Lip

Yep, you're right. All opportunity to improve the team definitely ends 3 months before the season starts. They shouldn't even field a team this year.

cornball
12-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Yep, you're right. All opportunity to improve the team definitely ends 3 months before the season starts. They shouldn't even field a team this year.

Sure we can improve, but not enough to make the playoffs. They way it looks now. We lost several opportunities on FA, Nomar trade lost opportunities, our higher priced players have few possibilities to be traded and most don't want them, our budget is hillarious.......but have faith......it is Christmas

dickallen15
12-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Sure we can improve, but not enough to make the playoffs. They way it looks now. We lost several opportunities on FA, Nomar trade lost opportunities, our higher priced players have few possibilities to be traded and most don't want them, our budget is hillarious.......but have faith......it is Christmas

They can't improve enough to beat the Twins, Royals, Indians or Tigers? If Willie Harris is half as good as Williams thinks he is, the offense still will be very potent. They obviously need pitching. I still think they may get Ponson or Garcia. That would give them 4 decent starters. I was watching something last night that claimed they were interested in Urbina. They still may get Williamson. They have Marte. Colon will be tough to replace, but he was only 15-13 last year. Gordon was horrible early and great at the end, Williamson or Urbina could replace him. Alomar hit .250 with no power, Harris sucks but he still could match those numbers. Rowand was starting to play great before they got Everett. He is better defensively than Carl, and could post decent offensive numbers. Olivo should improve offensively. Its not too far fetched to think even if they didn't do anything, they still could win the division, but Kenny will do something.

MHOUSE
12-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Lots of key acquisitions are being made by other clubs and the pool of players worth signing is quickly drying up. I know it's early, but I don't like banking on having another Loaiza fall into our lap and beating the worst division in baseball. Our current group can't win this division.

dickallen15
12-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Sparks for $500,000? Oh, man that would have been a nice pickup.

But no sense in making moves just for the heck of it!

I'd rather have Rauch for $300,000

cornball
12-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
They can't improve enough to beat the Twins, Royals, Indians or Tigers? If Willie Harris is half as good as Williams thinks he is, the offense still will be very potent. They obviously need pitching. I still think they may get Ponson or Garcia. That would give them 4 decent starters. I was watching something last night that claimed they were interested in Urbina. They still may get Williamson. They have Marte. Colon will be tough to replace, but he was only 15-13 last year. Gordon was horrible early and great at the end, Williamson or Urbina could replace him. Alomar hit .250 with no power, Harris sucks but he still could match those numbers. Rowand was starting to play great before they got Everett. He is better defensively than Carl, and could post decent offensive numbers. Olivo should improve offensively. Its not too far fetched to think even if they didn't do anything, they still could win the division, but Kenny will do something.

I hope your right, but what I saw of Harris last year he is not MLB ready. Colon pitched 220+ innings with the most complete games in the majors. The team is cheap and for no reason other than greed. We finished what something like 4 games out, last year. We have not improved at all, actually digressed at this point
so much is needed. Olivo's offence can only improve and Harris will be weaker defensively.

It is tough for us to persuede FA here unless we overpay. First,most of the players are from California, Arizona, Texas, Florida or Latin and would prefer to stay close to home. Second, the Sox get very little exposure. Third, the chances of winning are remote. Fourth, the preception of the owner is horrible.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I am trying to look at this objectively. I like the fact that KW is creative and a risk taker....I hope he can work some magic. It is going to take alot of it.

duke of dorwood
12-23-2003, 10:42 PM
I'm sick of hearing about bargains. Higher seat prices and 15.00 parking isnt a bargain to me.

This ownership is a disease

jeremyb1
12-23-2003, 11:25 PM

Lip

That would shock me. Its not as though tight budgets are uncommon to other teams in MLB. Sure its frustrating but despite the way people here make it seem, these frustrations aren't unique to our club.

Large contracts (Maggs, Paully, Koch, Carlos), many of which KW is responsible for, are just as responsible for our current financial situation as a tight payroll. If Williams is dead set on making moves he certainly has the option of moving some of our larger contracts even if he's forced to send money in the deals. Right now he's been adamant that the moves at his disposal wouldn't improve our club, so its not that his hands are completely tied. He feels that we're a better team standing pat that trading our best players just to fill holes.

Baby Fisk
12-24-2003, 08:42 AM

Lip
Someone here (maybe even the Lip Man himself) suggested a couple of weeks ago that KW should resign in disgust and announce that he can't possibly put a winning team together because he's been shackled by the ownership from day one; he's been forced to work (sometimes brutal) trades instead of going after signings in the off-season. Because of that, he can't possibly continue as GM. Then the angry mob storms management offices with torches and pitchforks and drives the monster out of town! [sorry, got carried away... :cool: ]

Lip Man 1
12-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Nope it wasn't me who posted that.

By the way this quote is relavent to this thread..."a general rule in baseball is that you can never accumulate too much pitching and anytime you can add veterans it can only make you better..." --Joe Garagiola Jr. D-backs G.M.

obviously the Sox aren't sold on this basic premise...remember they are going to win their way! LOL

Lip

soxfan26
12-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Someone here (maybe even the Lip Man himself) suggested a couple of weeks ago that KW should resign in disgust and announce that he can't possibly put a winning team together because he's been shackled by the ownership from day one; he's been forced to work (sometimes brutal) trades instead of going after signings in the off-season. Because of that, he can't possibly continue as GM. Then the angry mob storms management offices with torches and pitchforks and drives the monster out of town! [sorry, got carried away... :cool: ]

That would be nothing short of career suicide for Mr. Williams. He would be a fan favorite and might get a job alongside the Hawk, but no owner would have a guy like that around.