PDA

View Full Version : Cubs sign Todd Walker,but could'nt the Sox have used him?

Grobber33
12-23-2003, 06:50 PM
As a Cub Fan,I'm happy the Cubs signed the guy who was toughest to Fan in the AL this past season in Todd Walker. He gives them depth in the infield. I'm wondering why the Sox,did'nt go after this guy. He would have fit in perfectly at 2B,is a great contact hitter and in 'Comiskey' he would love the gaps. He probably did'nt cost that much either. Does Kenny have something else up his sleeve we dont know about?
For those who have'nt yet heard,Pokie Reese signed with the Carmines. Hmmmmm

TheRockinMT
12-23-2003, 06:57 PM
As the off season dealings move along and the Sox lose every player they added last year and said they wanted back, and we seem to have come to end of the A-Rod dealings I am not sure KW has any sleeves from which to pull a deal. We have a couple months till Spring Training, but I am not so certain that Uribe won't be our big pick of the Winter.

OEO Magglio
12-23-2003, 06:57 PM
On rotoworld it says the contract is 1.5 million dollars, if thats right I would have loved to see him on the sox, he'd be a big upgrade over willie, but to answer your question grobber I don't think kenny is going to upgrade 2nd base I think he's happy with willie there, I just really hope he does something and soon to upgarde the pitching staff.

MisterB
12-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
As a Cub Fan,I'm happy the Cubs signed the guy who was toughest to Fan in the AL this past season in Todd Walker. He gives them depth in the infield. I'm wondering why the Sox,did'nt go after this guy. He would have fit in perfectly at 2B,is a great contact hitter and in 'Comiskey' he would love the gaps. He probably did'nt cost that much either. Does Kenny have something else up his sleeve we dont know about?

The 19 players the Sox have on major league contracts combine for about $60.5M, or $2.5M over Jerry's payroll limit. Kenny can't do anything until he moves the likes of Ordonez, Konerko, Koch, Thomas, etc.

Besides, he's perfectly confident in Willie Harris' abilities as a starting 2B. :(:

StillMissOzzie
12-23-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm wondering why the Sox,did'nt go after this guy. He would have fit in perfectly at 2B,is a great contact hitter and in 'Comiskey' he would love the gaps. He probably did'nt cost that much either.... Does Kenny have something else up his sleeve we dont know about?

Grobber, I'm not even sure KW has any arms up his sleeves anymore...

SMO
:gulp:

shbart
12-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Grob, agreed that the Sox would have been a nice fit, but I'm almost as confused as to why your boys want a log jam at 2B. Grudz and Walker are not SS's. I don't see that as "depth". Also, Grob you know I have to call you out on the ol' apostrophe rule...the apostrophe replaces the missing letter ie; didn't, couldn't etc. sorry...a pet peeve had to say something with all the "students" who post looking on...lol*

Grobber33
12-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by shbart
Grob, agreed that the Sox would have been a nice fit, but I'm almost as confused as to why your boys want a log jam at 2B. Grudz and Walker are not SS's. I don't see that as "depth". Also, Grob you know I have to call you out on the ol' apostrophe rule...the apostrophe replaces the missing letter ie; didn't, couldn't etc. sorry...a pet peeve had to say something with all the "students" who post looking on...lol*

As a Grad of the Chicago Public School System(which is much better know than it was in the late 60's)I must take a mulligan here!!!

Hangar18
12-23-2003, 07:43 PM
I am absolutely FURIOUS to hear we couldve gotten Todd Walker
to play 2B. Willie Harris is NOT a starting second baseman.
I repeat. HES NOT a starting 2B. :angry:

DrCrawdad
12-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Wee Willie Harris may not be a starting second baseman, but Todd Walker is a horrible defensive 2nd baseman! If the Sox had signed Todd Walker I'm sure that people here (you know who you are) would be complaining of all the errors a Valentin-Walker tandemn would have piled up.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Grobber:

Your question is exactly what needs to be asked on your radio show. Perhaps you can find a member of the Sox organization to come on or call in and explain something about the rational behind this off season of basically no activity.

Then perhaps as a follow up you can ask this individual what this inactivity is doing to season ticket and advance sales.

The two go hand in hand. Right now all this is doing is giving the owner another excuse to rip the fans for not showing up this Summer. (Hmmmmm....perhaps now we know why they aren't doing anything....)

Seriously this has gone beyond ridiculous, this is now pitiable. I think those who felt that the Sox would do something and assured us it was going to happen are beginning to sweat a little.

As for me I thank God for VCR's. At least if the Sox are out of it by July I can pull out my tapes from 81, 82, 83, 85, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 96, 00 and 03 and relive some happier times while blissfully ignoring the owner and the carnage on the South Side.

Lip

Tragg
12-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
The 19 players the Sox have on major league contracts combine for about $60.5M, or $2.5M over Jerry's payroll limit. Kenny can't do anything until he moves the likes of Ordonez, Konerko, Koch, Thomas, etc.

Besides, he's perfectly confident in Willie Harris' abilities as a starting 2B. :(:

Moving Maggs, Konerko, and Koch saves, net, near $20mil. And If necessary, give koch and konerko away. Look at it this way, if Koch and Konerko were free agents, would we sign them? No way, so pretend they are free agents. We could do a lot with $15mill.

dickallen15
12-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Walker is a butcher at 2b. He also can be difficult, ask Tom Kelly. Offensively he is decent, but his glove is so bad Minn., Colo, Cin, and Bos have let him go. Kenny is in love with Willie Harris. Maybe when Willie is hitting .180 on May 15th that love will wane. Walker is going to be a back up on the Cubs, I really wonder how that will work out.

dickallen15
12-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Moving Maggs, Konerko, and Koch saves, net, near $20mil. And If necessary, give koch and konerko away. Look at it this way, if Koch and Konerko were free agents, would we sign them? No way, so pretend they are free agents. We could do a lot with $15mill.

You can't give Konerko and Koch away. No team would just assume their contracts. By the way, Konerko picks up and extra million if he is traded. The only way to get rid of them is to take someone else's high priced dissapointment. The Sox did this in 2000, and got Valentin and Eldred for Navarro and Snyder.

Grobber33
12-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Grobber:

Your question is exactly what needs to be asked on your radio show. Perhaps you can find a member of the Sox organization to come on or call in and explain something about the rational behind this off season of basically no activity.

Then perhaps as a follow up you can ask this individual what this inactivity is doing to season ticket and advance sales.

The two go hand in hand. Right now all this is doing is giving the owner another excuse to rip the fans for not showing up this Summer. (Hmmmmm....perhaps now we know why they aren't doing anything....)

Seriously this has gone beyond ridiculous, this is now pitiable. I think those who felt that the Sox would do something and assured us it was going to happen are beginning to sweat a little.

As for me I thank God for VCR's. At least if the Sox are out of it by July I can pull out my tapes from 81, 82, 83, 85, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 96, 00 and 03 and relive some happier times while blissfully ignoring the owner and the carnage on the South Side.

Lip

Lip, if I still HAD a show instead of simply reporting(sic),I'd certainly bring it up. But since I get to cover(in order the next week): Motor Head Bowl-NU vs BG, Bears @ KC, Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl-then perhaps a still to be determined NFL Wild Card game,,I should not complain,but I would be talking plenty of Hot Stove like I am here if a show still exsisted. We shall see.

DrCrawdad
12-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Lip, if I still HAD a show instead of simply reporting(sic),I'd certainly bring it up. But since I get to cover(in order the next week): Motor Head Bowl-NU vs BG, Bears @ KC, Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl-then perhaps a still to be determined NFL Wild Card game,,I should not complain,but I would be talking plenty of Hot Stove like I am here if a show still exsisted. We shall see.

GIVE LES A FULLTIME RADIO PROGRAM!

cornball
12-23-2003, 10:33 PM

Don't rub it in Les....we have a budget you know.

soxfan26
12-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
You can't give Konerko and Koch away. No team would just assume their contracts. By the way, Konerko picks up and extra million if he is traded. The only way to get rid of them is to take someone else's high priced dissapointment. The Sox did this in 2000, and got Valentin and Eldred for Navarro and Snyder.

Not to split hairs, but I read on this site (http://www.bluemanc.demon.co.uk/baseball/mlbcontracts.htm) that Konerko gets $500k if traded. Not arguing I'm just wondering if you could point me to your source that says it is $1m.

duke of dorwood
12-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
GIVE LES A FULLTIME RADIO PROGRAM!

UNPLUG TONY KORNEISER

duke of dorwood
12-23-2003, 11:34 PM
:reinsy

FREE RENT FREE RENT

gosox41
12-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

I think you need to realize that no other team thinks these guys are worth the money either. The one team that has shown interest in Koch is the Mets and even they wised up enough to go try to sign Braden Looper.

If these guyswere freeagents no team would give them this type of money they're making rihgt now.

Bob

dickallen15
12-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Not to split hairs, but I read on this site (http://www.bluemanc.demon.co.uk/baseball/mlbcontracts.htm) that Konerko gets $500k if traded. Not arguing I'm just wondering if you could point me to your source that says it is $1m.

Its $500,000 per season. He has 2 years left on his contract.

kempsted
12-24-2003, 12:33 PM
:?: :?: Originally posted by Hangar18

It is not clear we could have gotten him. He turned down more money with Cleveland because he thought the Cubs had a better chance of getting him a world series. :?:

How stupid is that. The Cubs won two more games than we did - won the division because Houston collapsed - Statistically Houston should have won the division even with their collapse. Houston has made better offseason moves than the Cubs.

Another thing - the real question that Grobber should have asked - Why did the Cubs sign him? Walker and Grud are both starters and can only play second base. They will get rid of one of them in a trade.

HawkDJ
12-24-2003, 12:52 PM
"I passed up a few starting roles to put myself in the position I'm in,'' Walker said. "The reason I did that is I want to play for a team that has a chance to win the World Series. There are only a handful of teams that can say that, and the Cubs are one of them.''

There's the reason we couldn't have signed him even if we tried. People want to play for the Cubs and Dusty; they don't want to play for the Sox. It's as simple as that.

JaylisJP
12-24-2003, 01:40 PM

Do you really sit at home for 3, 4 hours at a time and watch old baseball games?

Lip Man 1
12-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Jaylis:

You bet your ass I do, especially in the middle of Winter! (and it's not 3 or 4 hours, I fast forward through the commericals...)

This week for example, I've been watching the Sox game from August 29, 1993.

Lip

red faber
12-29-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
There's the reason we couldn't have signed him even if we tried. People want to play for the Cubs and Dusty; they don't want to play for the Sox. It's as simple as that.

maybe so but the sox could have at least made the effort!!!!!

how will you know if you don't try?????????????