PDA

View Full Version : Who deserves to be in the HOF

Soxdude
12-23-2003, 03:13 PM
The HOF Ballot (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/hof/y2004/index.jsp)

wood28
12-23-2003, 04:04 PM
My vote is for Steve Garvey, on the strength the 1984 playoffs

hose
12-23-2003, 04:18 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_2nd_half_moments/cws/06.jpg

TheNotoriousKJC
12-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Mattingly and The Eck. maybe Molitor...

washington
12-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Mattingly and Molitor will both be elected, IMHO among the 2 Molitor is the only one who deserves it. I think Eck and Gossage also deserve it but think neither will get in, for some reason the HOF voters don't appreciate relief pitchers (I can only think of Fingers and Wilhelm have made it) plus there are a lot of great relief pitchers on this ballot (Eck, Gossage, Sutter, Smith).

How on earth did Danny Darwin make the ballot?

PaulDrake
12-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso. Unfortunately it's not happening.

StillMissOzzie
12-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Garvey, Eckersley, and Tommy John, for pioneering the surgical procedure that bears his name and saved maybe 100's of pitching careers by now.

SMO
:gulp:

LittleBears Suck
12-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Don Mattingly qualifies for the "All-Overrated Team" of the last twenty years. There is no way he is a Hall of Famer.

My ballot is...
Sutter, Sandberg, Molitor, Gossage, Eckersley

RKMeibalane
12-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by hose
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_2nd_half_moments/cws/06.jpg

That's still a few years away, but it will happen.

windycityson
12-25-2003, 02:35 AM
Shoeless Joe and Charlie Hustle........
but until Selig dies, I'll settle for Mattingly, Eck, and Molitor.

When is Dan Pasqua eligible?

vegyrex
12-25-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by windycityson

When is Dan Pasqua eligible?

Bwahahahaha!! :)

Nick@Nite
12-25-2003, 07:29 AM
... Bert Blyleven on the strength of the following;

1. 3,701 career strikeouts -- fifth all-time and the only eligible pitcher in the top 13 not in the Hall.

2. Ninth in games started with 685. Every other pitcher in the top 10, except Tommy John, was inducted.

3. Ninth in shutouts with 60, and the only person in the top 20 of that category who is not in.

4. 13th in innings pitched with 4,970. Everyone ahead of him is in the Hall.

5. 287 wins, which is good for 25th all time. Only three pitchers with more victories aren't in -- Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux and Tommy John.

I wish he had played for the Sox.

LittleBears Suck
12-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
... Bert Blyleven on the strength of the following;

1. 3,701 career strikeouts -- fifth all-time and the only eligible pitcher in the top 13 not in the Hall.

2. Ninth in games started with 685. Every other pitcher in the top 10, except Tommy John, was inducted.

3. Ninth in shutouts with 60, and the only person in the top 20 of that category who is not in.

4. 13th in innings pitched with 4,970. Everyone ahead of him is in the Hall.

5. 287 wins, which is good for 25th all time. Only three pitchers with more victories aren't in -- Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux and Tommy John.

I wish he had played for the Sox.

And two all star games in 25 years! Now there is a pitcher who defined his era!

How can we say he was a pitcher of his era when he was among the elite pitchers of the AL twice in a quarter century career?

oldcomiskey
12-25-2003, 01:38 PM
I disagree with that--the all-star game is a popularity contest even for pitchers----

MarkEdward
12-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by LittleBears Suck

How can we say he was a pitcher of his era when he was among the elite pitchers of the AL twice in a quarter century career?

Considering such luminaries as Kent Bottenfield and Mike Williams have graced the All Star stage, should we really use that honor as a measure of greatness?

Nick@Nite
12-25-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by LittleBears Suck

Don Sutton's 22-year career is comparable to Blyleven's (22-year career). Sutton made the all-star team 4 times... which doesn't exactly dwarf Blyleven's 2 appearances, and Sutton is in the HOF.

Speaking of era's, Blyleven's curve ball was the signature curve ball of his era, and imo his numbers are good enough for the HOF.

Wsoxmike59
12-25-2003, 08:48 PM
I feel that Bert Blyleven, Tommy John and Jim Kaat all deserve enshrinement into Baseball's Valhalla.

At the beginning of the year I had posted over at WhiteSox.com MB the 10 guys who I thought had been grossly neglected by the BBWAA. Here's my list in no particular order

1) Bert Blyleven
2) Tommy John
3) Jim Kaat
4) Billy Pierce
5) Ron Santo
6) Vada Pinson
7) Al Oliver
8) Jim Rice
9) Dick Allen
10) Bill Buckner

I would also venture a guess that Harold Baines is going to have a tough time getting in once he's eligible, but when you compare his #'s to that of Chicago Cub HOF'er Billy Williams.....Bainsey is right there with him in just about every catagory.

Brian26
12-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately, if you lower the bar just a little bit to let guys like Santo, Mattingly, Rice or Eck in, then the next tier of players will go through the same complaining and moaning. Mattingly doesn't deserve the Hall, pure and simple. There has to be a cutoff point.

TornLabrum
12-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Unfortunately, if you lower the bar just a little bit to let guys like Santo, Mattingly, Rice or Eck in, then the next tier of players will go through the same complaining and moaning. Mattingly doesn't deserve the Hall, pure and simple. There has to be a cutoff point.

However, there isn't according to the rules.

Brian26
12-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
However, there isn't according to the rules.

Very true. It's all subjective at some point. I guess that's the way it should.

It should be interesting in coming years to see how today's players are viewed when compared to previous generations. Offensive numbers are up across the board. Do you treat Palmeiro's 500 homers the same way you treat Mays or Mantle's?

HITMEN OF 77
12-26-2003, 08:37 PM
I should have checked the ballot list, but here are the names I think should be in.

Tommy John
Dick Allen
Paul Molitor
Tony Oliva

Would John wear a Sox hat in the hall if he goes?

duke of dorwood
12-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Bruce Sutter
Tommy John
Paul Molitor