PDA

View Full Version : Moronotti, takes cheap shot at Sox Fans

Rocky Soprano
12-23-2003, 09:32 AM
Todays Article:

The best offseason news for the Cubs wasn't the deal for Derrek Lee, the signing of LaTroy Hawkins or the lingering hope that Greg Maddux will agree to terms a dozen years after Tribune Co.'s last offer. No, it was the purchase of the infamous Bartman ball by Grant DePorter, who understands why $113,824.16 wasn't too much to spend in an Internet auction...

With the infamous ball now locked away in a glass case at the restaurant, where an alarm and surveillance equipment guard it from plotting White Sox fans

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay23.html

mandmandm
12-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Cheap shot??

miker
12-23-2003, 09:43 AM
This is a surprise how?

thecell
12-23-2003, 09:45 AM
I take it as a compliment, not a cheap shot.

SSN721
12-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by thecell
I take it as a compliment, not a cheap shot.

I tend to agree, I would be more insulted at another comment how all Sox fans were pulling for the Cubs because we were just happy to see some Chicago team in the playoffs. I am glad to be recognized that any real Sox fan would love to have that ball.

ma_deuce
12-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Plotting White Sox fans? Please. Sure, we would like the ball, buts its not all that much of a big deal. A White Sox fan wouldn't have paid anywhere close to $100+ grand for that stupid thing. We would, however, get Steve Bartman season tickets to the Cell to watch a real baseball team play... a few rows off the wall, of course. :D:

I hate this whole ball controversy. Look, the Cubs lost because they were fated to. It is Almighty God's Will that the Cubs suck and continue to suck for all eternity. To worship the ball would only bring about God's Wrath upon us... and we have enough wrath on our plate to go looking for more. :angry:

Rocky Soprano
12-23-2003, 10:15 AM
I take it as a cheap shot because Moronotti is trying to say that we Sox fans actually care about this damn ball. The Flub fans are obsessed over this damn ball and love to think that we are too.

Simply they are saying that they need to guard it because maybe a Sox fan would steal it.

Why even mention the Sox or their fans in this article? Come on this is Moronotti we are talking about, he is taking a cheap shot at us!

daveeym
12-23-2003, 10:19 AM
I'll take it as a compliment. Maybe he lurks here, considering there was a thread about what Sox fans would do with the ball I don't think it's a cheap shot at all.

soxfan26
12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Folks are convinced Cubdom is a hopeless commune of wackos and loons...

That part made me laugh out loud. My Uncle Chuck is the only Cubs fan I have to call family and he surely fits in that category.

Mariotti took worse shots at the Cub players in that article than he did at Sox fans. Hell, let the loons and wackos live in the moment and be the center of attention. It just makes it easier to laugh at Cub fans.

Billy Goats, Black Cats, and Steve... OH MY!

kittle42
12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by daveeym
Maybe he lurks here, considering there was a thread about what Sox fans would do with the ball

I don't think it's *that* original an idea.

mandmandm
12-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
Plotting White Sox fans? Please. Sure, we would like the ball, buts its not all that much of a big deal. A White Sox fan wouldn't have paid anywhere close to $100+ grand for that stupid thing. We would, however, get Steve Bartman season tickets to the Cell to watch a real baseball team play... a few rows off the wall, of course. :D:

I hate this whole ball controversy. Look, the Cubs lost because they were fated to. It is Almighty God's Will that the Cubs suck and continue to suck for all eternity. To worship the ball would only bring about God's Wrath upon us... and we have enough wrath on our plate to go looking for more. :angry:

You post made me think of fantasy auction. I wonder what type of dollars these items would bring in.

Alex Gonzalez's glove that did not catch the ball leading to the implosion.

Moise Alou's temper tantrum that made a bigger deal out of the Bartman play than needed to be.

Mark Prior's psyche that shattered in game 6.

Kerry Wood's throat that choked in game 7.

A bucket full of pea sized brains from all the morons who stared at the exterior walls of Wrigley Field while a playoff game was going on inside.

jortafan
12-23-2003, 11:09 AM
Look, the Cubs lost because they were fated to. It is Almighty God's Will that the Cubs suck and continue to suck for all eternity. To worship the ball would only bring about God's Wrath upon us... and we have enough wrath on our plate to go looking for more. :angry:

Give me a break.

I'd really like to think that "the Almighty" has more important things to worry about than the Chicago Cubs, or the fate of any sports team.

Maybe the Cubs lost because the Marlins were just a better team. Maybe the Cubs lose because they're incompetent.

kittle42
12-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Look, the Cubs lost because they were fated to. It is Almighty God's Will that the Cubs suck and continue to suck for all eternity. To worship the ball would only bring about God's Wrath upon us...

But Dusty Baker is god.

maurice
12-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
But Dusty Baker is god.

That makes Darren Jesus. I hear it's his birthday soon.

:shammy
"Watch it, kid. There's only room for ONE Jesus on this team, and I'm not talking about Mark Prior!"

StepsInSC
12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
It reminds me more of college rivalries, like one college trying to steal a keepsake from its rival. Its a good thing IMO.

steff
12-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Eh.. same old, same old.. Yawn....

santo=dorf
12-23-2003, 01:24 PM
I just woke up and this happened to be the first thing I read this afternoon. I can't figure out why he says White Sox fans want the ball and then quotes Grant Deporter who says "We weren't about to let it get into the hands of a Marlins fan." Huh? If you read down a little more, Mariotti loses another shred of his credibility, if there is any left. "But with the Cubs still in command at that point, leading 8-3." Double huh? Hey Mariotti! The Cubs were leading 3-0, then the MARLINS were leading 8-3!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaulDrake
12-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I just woke up and this happened to be the first thing I read this afternoon. I can't figure out why he says White Sox fans want the ball and then quotes Grant Deporter who says "We weren't about to let it get into the hands of a Marlins fan." Huh? If you read down a little more, Mariotti loses another shred of his credibility, if there is any left. "But with the Cubs still in command at that point, leading 8-3." Double huh? Hey Mariotti! The Cubs were leading 3-0, then the MARLINS were leading 8-3!!!!!!!!!!!! Editing is a lost art. Once upon a time that kind of thing got corrected before it went to press.

inta
12-23-2003, 01:34 PM
how the hell is that a cheapshot?

c'mon people, i know the media ignores us, but not every mention is a slam on us.

the mind is a terrible thing to waste...

Rocky Soprano
12-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by inta

c'mon people, i know the media ignores us, but not every mention is a slam on us.

To each its own.

I read it and formed MY OPINION, I felt it was cheapshot especially considering the fact who its coming from.

But if you dont feel the same way so be it...

ma_deuce
12-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Give me a break. I'd really like to think that "the Almighty" has more important things to worry about than the Chicago Cubs, or the fate of any sports team.

He moves in mysterious ways.

Maybe the Cubs lost because the Marlins were just a better team. Maybe the Cubs lose because they're incompetent.

Its more than that. If either of those reasons were sufficient, than the Cubs never would have gotten so close. No, God led them in like He did with the Egyptians as they followed the Israelites across the parted Red Sea. Then, just as they were set upon to strike, God slapped them down like a red-headed stepchild. Yep, this time Moses came up a little short.

The Cubs... God's Mulligan.

:)

MarqSox
12-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by inta

Amen. It's not a dig ... it's a compliment, if anything.

FanOf14
12-23-2003, 03:22 PM
God slapped them down like a red-headed stepchild. Yep, this time Moses came up a little short.

lol My fiance is a red-headed stepchild...the funny thing is it didn't dawn on him until I pointed it out to him which was about 6 years after he became a red-headed stepchild.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

ma_deuce
12-23-2003, 04:46 PM
My fiance is a red-headed stepchild...

I don't mean to say that there is anything wrong with red-headed stepchildren... ah, some of my closest friends are red-headed stepchildren...

:D:

FanOf14
12-23-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't mean to say that there is anything wrong with red-headed stepchildren... ah, some of my closest friends are red-headed stepchildren...

:D:

LOL! :D:

Hangar18
12-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm

A bucket full of pea sized brains from all the morons who stared at the exterior walls of Wrigley Field while a playoff game was going on inside.

excellent post. I remember how suddenly, never having seen those inflatable noise-making things ever at wrigley, suddenly
everyone corralled behind police lines....so they could 'stare at the wall'. Reason 54, 899 why Cub fans are the Dumbest
Fans on the planet

hsnterprize
12-24-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
excellent post. I remember how suddenly, never having seen those inflatable noise-making things ever at wrigley, suddenly
everyone corralled behind police lines....so they could 'stare at the wall'. Reason 54, 899 why Cub fans are the Dumbest
Fans on the planet Eveidently, those knuckleheads influenced a co-worker of mine. A traffic reporter who works at my station went to the area and recorded sound from the crowd. She says it was such a party atmosphere there that she was considering turning from being a Sox fan to a Cub fan. She even got some of those red and blue baseball beads, and almost got a hold of those "ThunderStix", the items the Anaheim Angels and other teams made famous. As of now, I'm not sure if she's serious about making the switch. She's originally from Minnesota, and she's gotten into the Sox since she's been here. However, she told me and other Sox fans here at the station that if the Sox were in the same situation the Cubs were in, the atmosphere wouldn't be so festive. In a sense I agree, but I know when the actually get to the Series, Sox fans will come out in droves.

Like I've said many times before...it was such a gas to see all those people leaving Wrigleyville dejected after all that overconfidence by fans and the media. Serves them right.

Mariotti's comment about protecting that ball from Sox fans isn't a cheap shot to me. IMHO, the worst cheap shot I heard from his came when he was on "Around the Horn" while the Cubs were on their run. The host of the show mentioned that Sox fans weren't too thrilled about the Cubs being in the playoffs, and Mariotti replied simply saying, "They don't matter."

doublem23
12-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I personally think that whenever they plan on destroying that ball, Sox fans should show up and just start pelting the crowd with baseballs. Hopefully the Bartman ball will get lost in the mix.

DannyCaterFan
12-26-2003, 03:01 PM
That guy has always picked on the Sox whenever he has an opportunity. He just plain dislikes Jerry Reinsdorf, and writes anything negative he can whenever he can. from the ballpark to the players to the owner.....he just hates the White Sox.
Jay is a "fair weather writer", favoring anyone that wins.

munchman33
12-27-2003, 01:29 AM
WE CAN'T USE THE BALL AGAINST THEM. IT MUST BE TAKEN DEEP BENEATH THE DEPTHS OF WRIGLEY FIELD AND TOSSED INTO THE FIREY CHASMS OF HELL. ONLY THEN WILL ALL CUBDOM PERISH.

CubKilla
12-27-2003, 01:02 PM
While I wouldn't spend $113,000 for the "Bartman" baseball, I wouldn't mind owning it and bringing it to family gatherings attended by Cubs fans in my family. In fact, I don't think there is a person on this board that wouldn't like to own the symbol that many Cub fans consider the reason why the Cubs choked up a 3-1 NLCS lead. We all know Alou's tantrum, Prior's meltdown, Gonzalez's error, Rodriguez's NLCS MVP AB's, the Cub BP's ineffectiveness, and "Mr. Overrated" Dusty Baker himself had more to do with the sCrUB collapse than anything Bartman did.

Having said that, Moronotti is a fool if he thinks Sox fans are plotting to take ownership of the "Bartman" baseball.