PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Rhodes: Sox tried

MHOUSE
12-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Lefty reliever Arthur Rhodes signed for 3 years $9.2 million with the As to be their full-time closer. The Sox were mentioned in the article as having been interested along with several other teams. Interestingly, it said that we wanted him to be OUR closer! As it seems to be with every free agent this offseason, we offered a two-year deal, but were outbid by a three-year contract for similar per-season salary. *sigh* :whiner:

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1692586)

jeremyb1
12-22-2003, 10:43 PM
I don't understand what KW is doing here. If he conceeds we need bullpen help and feels he has the ability to throw a least a couple million a year someone's way, why haven't we been involved in bidding for anyone except for Guardado and Rhodes, two lefties when we already have Wunsch, Marte, and possibly Schoenweis in the fold? Why didn't we at least make offers to Beck, Ligtenberg, Hawkins, and the other top relievers on the market?

mike squires
12-22-2003, 10:50 PM
I have mentioned before, I really think teams are going to regret signing more than 2 year deals. Signing long term deals have really haunted some teams. (us included!) I wouldn't have wanted to sign Rhoads for more than 2 years. I think you are going to see less and less of the extended contract. At least teams with fewer dollar bills in their wallets. (yup, us included)

gosox41
12-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Lefty reliever Arthur Rhodes signed for 3 years $9.2 million with the As to be their full-time closer. The Sox were mentioned in the article as having been interested along with several other teams. Interestingly, it said that we wanted him to be OUR closer! As it seems to be with every free agent this offseason, we offered a two-year deal, but were outbid by a three-year contract for similar per-season salary. *sigh* :whiner:

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1692586)

Knowing KW he'll probably try to trade for Rhodes when he's in the last year of his contract and coming off of two solid years when he was severly overused. Then KW we'll give up a great pitcher in a trade and sign Rhodes to a contract extension in which he is serverly overpaid.

It's not like it hasn't happened before.

Bob

voodoochile
12-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
I have mentioned before, I really think teams are going to regret signing more than 2 year deals. Signing long term deals have really haunted some teams. (us included!) I wouldn't have wanted to sign Rhoads for more than 2 years. I think you are going to see less and less of the extended contract. At least teams with fewer dollar bills in their wallets. (yup, us included)

Something is going to have to give. Teams are going shorter and shorter and players are wanting longer and longer contracts.

How long until owners insist on non-guaranteed contracts as part of the CBA?

kraut83
12-23-2003, 09:45 AM
I think you are going to see less and less of the extended contract.

Agreed, I think the days of long term deals are dead. However, I don't consider 3 years to be long term. The fact that we keep offering 2 year contracts is absolutely killing our bargaining position.

petekat
12-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Beware of long term contracts:

Exhibit One: Angels responsible for the remainder of a $12 mill contract in 2004 to Kevin Appier.

ca.sports.yahoo.com/031121/6/vmgf.html

WhiteSoxWinner
12-23-2003, 03:11 PM
I see the that some teams may regret signing the three year deals because the players will not be as good by the end of the third year, but does mean we are doomed to mediocrity with no chance to get out because we will NEVER give a FA pitcher a better than two year for fear of him being bad in three years?

MHOUSE
12-23-2003, 05:43 PM
IMO, four years is about the maximum you can offer. Three years is decent and it seems like we should think about offering more money for a two-year deal to sign some of these guys. I notice in the NBA they give these guys 7-year $50 million contracts and then have to trade all these guys every season in 5-team deals to make everything even out. ex. 1 Juwon Howard. Anyways back to baseball.....