PDA

View Full Version : ESPN offseason power rankings

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-22-2003, 06:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1692140

I guess this was before the twins two new major signings because they're not ahead of the White Sox.

fquaye149
12-22-2003, 06:27 PM
i find it hard to believe that the toons will finish ahead of us in teh central.

doublem23
12-22-2003, 07:32 PM
The Royals #8? God dammit, I guess they're ESPN's new "cuddly-wuddly team" now that the Twins have begun to dismantle.

Anyways, the Indians would be a damn good team if they could field an offense capable of hitting A-ball pitching.

soxfan26
12-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
[B]The Royals #8? God dammit, I guess they're ESPN's new "cuddly-wuddly team" now that the Twins have begun to dismantle.

I don't give this list a whole lot of credit.

Haven't made any big, bold moves and Ibanez departure hurts, but they've done enough to make themselves AL Central front-runners.

They have one guy in their rotation that had over 130 IP last season. 15 guys started games for them. Jose Lima was their staff ace for the final 2 months. And Kevin Appier is the most significant addition.

Baseball is a game of streaks, and KC rode the wave last year and played well. It's just hard to believe that this team will go out and perform at that level again.
It defies all baseball logic to call them "front runners" in anything.

MHOUSE
12-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
They have one guy in their rotation that had over 130 IP last season. 15 guys started games for them. Jose Lima was their staff ace for the final 2 months. And Kevin Appier is the most significant addition.

Baseball is a game of streaks, and KC rode the wave last year and played well. It's just hard to believe that this team will go out and perform at that level again.
It defies all baseball logic to call them "front runners" in anything. [/B]

They have signed quite a few roles players like Randa, Leskanic, Santiago, and Brian Anderson is a KEY addition IMO. He had to have pitched more than 130 innings last year.

jeremyb1
12-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
I don't give this list a whole lot of credit.

It defies all baseball logic to call them "front runners" in anything.

I really like the Royals off season moves. Stairs is a good, cheap replacement for Ibanez and their pen looks mighty tough with the signing of Sullivan and more importantly the resigning of Leskanic, who is an absolute stud.

Their rotation isn't great but you could do worse than a rotation of Anderson, May, Gobble, and Snyder. All performed admirably last season.

Too bad KW didn't trade for Leskanic instead of Sullivan. Leskanic is a better pitcher who had a smaller contract and therefore resigned for a small sum.

raul12
12-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Wow, that list is horrible. Orioles #2?! Last time I checked, they hadn't signed vlad yet, and I don't care who they add, they still won't be able to beat out the red sox and yankees over the course of a year. Pirates above the white sox? I know we suck, but we're not as bad as the pirates....I hope! Cubs at only #13?

It's still only December I guess. :gulp:

kempsted
12-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by raul12
Wow, that list is horrible. Orioles #2?! Last time I checked, they hadn't signed vlad yet, and I don't care who they add, they still won't be able to beat out the red sox and yankees over the course of a year. Pirates above the white sox? I know we suck, but we're not as bad as the pirates....I hope! Cubs at only #13?

This is a ranking of OFFSEASON MOVES. It is not a ranking of teams. That is why Baltimore is #2 - notice the Braves and Yankees are way down the list.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-22-2003, 11:54 PM
The major loss of Royce Clayton is the reason why the brew crew are dead last

soxfan26
12-23-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
They have signed quite a few roles players like Randa, Leskanic, Santiago, and Brian Anderson is a KEY addition IMO. He had to have pitched more than 130 innings last year.

Your right Anderson pitched 197 innings last season. According to their web site he is the #1 starter for next season. During his time in Arizona he saw frequent demotions to the bullpen. He improved last season and was nearly lights out down the stretch, but scouting reports say he is no better than a #4 starter.

soxfan26
12-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I really like the Royals off season moves. Stairs is a good, cheap replacement for Ibanez and their pen looks mighty tough with the signing of Sullivan and more importantly the resigning of Leskanic, who is an absolute stud.

Their rotation isn't great but you could do worse than a rotation of Anderson, May, Gobble, and Snyder. All performed admirably last season.

Too bad KW didn't trade for Leskanic instead of Sullivan. Leskanic is a better pitcher who had a smaller contract and therefore resigned for a small sum.

Stairs was a good move.

See above for Anderson, and I agree you could do worse than they have, I just don't see that it makes them "front runners"

Anyway, these power ranking people are the same people that came up with these nuggets of wisdom last season:

We have a strong feeling that this is the year for Barry Bonds and Co. Mark it down: Giants will be the ones holding a parade come late October ...

Just a hunch on our part, but when the dust settles expect to see the South Siders still playing once October rolls around.

for that matter I'm glad they don't think we a re front runners, it's obviously a jinx. :D:

soxnut
12-23-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by raul12

I really don't know why some of you think we suck so bad. I know there have been dissapontments. but, basically at this point our starting lineup is the same as the begining of last season. And the reason for the disappointing season was situational hitting, Billy Koch's blown saves and Jerry Manuel. None of those things will happen again(in quantities enough to hurt). I'm sure they'll find someone to eat up an adequate amount of innings that were lost with Colon leaving. I'm not worried...this is still a good ballclub. Of course it's always better as a Sox fan to think negatively because of how much they love to whine.

And yes it is still only December. The Sox rarely do things until January anyway, and there are still players out there that will fit what the Sox need.

chosk8
12-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Not a good sign when you see: "Major additions: Juan Uribe." End of sentence

washington
12-23-2003, 10:18 AM
What a waste of virtual paper. Orioles at #2 and Yankees at #25. Then again, Matt Stairs and Scott Sullivan were key players in the Pirates' and White Sox' championship runs last year so let's just concede the AL Central to KC now

daveeym
12-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
This is a ranking of OFFSEASON MOVES. It is not a ranking of teams. That is why Baltimore is #2 - notice the Braves and Yankees are way down the list.

Thank you for saying that. The rankings don't make that clear but I believe you are correct that it is offseason moves performance and not a season prediction. Thus that should end one path this discussion is heading down.

Iwritecode
12-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I really don't know why some of you think we suck so bad. I know there have been dissapontments. but, basically at this point our starting lineup is the same as the begining of last season.

OMG, you're right. Replace Jimenez with Harris at 2B and at the top of the lineup and the starting lineup is the exact same as opening day last year. That's a scary thought considering how much weaker the starting rotation and BP has gotten...

poorme
12-23-2003, 10:48 AM
We also had high expectations for Koch and Konerko. Won't make that mistake this year.

soxnut
12-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Folks it was really all about situational hitting...and how it didn't happen, that's not going to happen again. And the Sox will be fine once another starter is picked up. You guys are way too negative and don't appreciate what we do have.

Iwritecode
12-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Folks it was really all about situational hitting...and how it didn't happen, that's not going to happen again. And the Sox will be fine once another starter is picked up. You guys are way too negative and don't appreciate what we do have.

How do you figure the situational hitting is going to be any better when they are fielding almost the exact same lineup as last year? Especially with GIDPaul Konerko in the middle of it???

Also, which starter are they going to pick up and when? They've already said they aren't going after any big-name free agent pitchers.

maurice
12-24-2003, 01:51 PM
What's to appreciate? We have a roster that is worse than the roster that failed to win the weakest division in the AL in 2003, and an embarrassingly low budget that prevents KW from signing any of his own free agents or any significant player from a bumper crop of underpriced free agents.

Oh, I forgot those two World Series titles in the past seven years. No, wait, that's the Marlins, an expansion team that's only been in existence for eleven years and averaged only 16K fans per game last year. Meanwhile, our team hasn't won a playoff series since 1917.