PDA

View Full Version : nomar still coming here?

habibharu
12-22-2003, 12:43 PM
john hicks, rangers GM gave 5pm tuesday deadline for deal. im thinkin that it has to get done this time

CubKilla
12-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Even if it does go down, gaining Nomar but losing Maggs doesn't make our team significantly better. Some would argue it may make our team worse.

I, for one, am ambivalent.

habibharu
12-22-2003, 12:46 PM
i think that if we got nomar we should trade him to the dodgers. mota,perez,jackson and/or miller. who knows we might get even more players. then sign a guy like looper or baez for the bullpen. and sign payton for the OF. our bullpen would be awesome. mota,marte,koch(?),baez,looper,wunsch

CubKilla
12-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
i think that if we got nomar we should trade him to the dodgers. mota,perez,jackson and/or miller. who knows we might get even more players. then sign a guy like looper or baez for the bullpen. and sign payton for the OF. our bullpen would be awesome. mota,marte,koch(?),baez,looper,wunsch

I agree that the White Sox will be better off trading Nomar to an LA than keeping him for one season. But some have said that LA may opt to wait till the '04-'05 offseason and sign Nomar to a contract outright and not have to give up some of the arms and prospects that a KW would be looking to acquire.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Based on Williams' direct comments last week there are no guarantees that Nomar for Maggs will take place, even if the A-Rod deal finally goes through.

The impression that I got from his remarks was that the deal was good for only a short period of time...perhaps the parties and teams involved had second thoughts about doing it when the A-Rod deal dragged out or perhaps the Sox got some information from Nomar's people that under no circumstances would he stay in Chicago beyond this season.

Lip

soxfan26
12-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Based on Williams' direct comments last week there are no guarantees that Nomar for Maggs will take place, even if the A-Rod deal finally goes through.
Lip

I hope your right. While this might be the biggest trade of the last decade, it has taken on a real negative aura.

If it does go down I hope the Sox immediately deal Nomar for pitching, either to LA or Anaheim as rumored. Washburn or Perez + some bullpen help and prospects would help this team much more IMO. Then, as some have suggested here, go out and get J. Payton or Juan Gone to fill the hole in RF, even if we only rent one of those two for next season, they will be much cheaper than Maggs or Nomar.

Baby Fisk
12-22-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
I hope your right. While this might be the biggest trade of the last decade, it has taken on a real negative aura.

If it does go down I hope the Sox immediately deal Nomar for pitching, either to LA or Anaheim as rumored. Washburn or Perez + some bullpen help and prospects would help this team much more IMO. Then, as some have suggested here, go out and get J. Payton or Juan Gone to fill the hole in RF, even if we only rent one of those two for next season, they will be much cheaper than Maggs or Nomar.
You are right. With a jilted Nomar joining inspirational brite lites like Frank & Konerko, the team would be in a death spiral by May. And I'm convinced Nomar & Ozzie would be at each other's throats by April.

Foulke You
12-22-2003, 04:15 PM
I was under the impression that the Nomar deal was dead regardless of what happens with this A-Rod thing. I think it is a moot point however, since the A-Rod/Manny trade in my opinion is about 99% dead. Now we'll have to see what Kenny's next play is.

habibharu
12-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I was under the impression that the Nomar deal was dead regardless of what happens with this A-Rod thing. I think it is a moot point however, since the A-Rod/Manny trade in my opinion is about 99% dead. Now we'll have to see what Kenny's next play is.

dont be so sure foulkie! this deal has to get done. if they dont do it by 4 tomm. there will be another deadliine. can u imagine nomar going back in the bosox clubhouse after half of the players said that they would love the trade, AROD is the best player in the MLB.

Baby Fisk
12-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Then why are people going bananas at the prospect of having nomar here? It's a bad idea, unless we can trade him as a hostage for arms. (POW!)
:bandance:

Foulke You
12-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
dont be so sure foulkie! this deal has to get done. if they dont do it by 4 tomm. there will be another deadliine. can u imagine nomar going back in the bosox clubhouse after half of the players said that they would love the trade, AROD is the best player in the MLB.

Well, we shall see. I'm not opposed to the Red Sox trade since I'm resigned to losing Maggs before the season begins anyway. If we're going to lose Maggs, why not net a franchise shortstop and a solid middle reliever? Sounds a lot better than rolling the dice on unproven in the AL pitchers from the Dodgers like Odalis Perez and Mota. I agree that clubhouse chemistry in Boston and Texas would be odd if the deal didn't go down, however, I still have my doubts on this whole deal shaking down in the end. I think all the stars would have to align for both the ARod/Manny trade and the Nomar/Maggs trade to fall in place.

doublem23
12-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

The impression that I got from his remarks was that the deal was good for only a short period of time...perhaps the parties and teams involved had second thoughts about doing it when the A-Rod deal dragged out or perhaps the Sox got some information from Nomar's people that under no circumstances would he stay in Chicago beyond this season.

Lip

I read a quote in the Sun-Times from Williams (the day after the deal was declared "dead") that said the White Sox had pretty much backed out of the Maggs/Nomar deal.

SoxFan76
12-22-2003, 10:53 PM
there are more benefits of nomar than his onfield performance. his personality and look will help make the white sox more marketable and maybe bring a little more respect to the organization. im sorry, but unless maggs learns english quickly, he is not the marketable player the white sox need. since konerko doesnt talk, and frank just says stupid stuff when he talks, nomar is our man.

so my point is, losing magglio wouldnt bother me TOO much, because of all the other things nomar would bring to chicago.

BamaDoc
12-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Sorry 76, but one of Nomaars problems in Boston was PR.
To think that a guy who doesn't want to be here will become our poster child is foolish.

Foulke You
12-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by BamaDoc
Sorry 76, but one of Nomaars problems in Boston was PR.
To think that a guy who doesn't want to be here will become our poster child is foolish.

His problems were PR with the Red Sox organization (making sponsor appearances, etc.) and sometimes being a tad surly with the analysis happy Boston media. Playing for the White Sox as we all know wouldn't garner the same media scrutiny as playing for the Boston Red Sox so I don't think Nomar would have had trouble with the Chicago media because of that. Also, Nomar never had PR trouble with the Boston fans and is easily the most popular player on the Red Sox. I think he easily could have become the most popular player on the White Sox.