PDA

View Full Version : Mispent funds

lowesox
12-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Wow. I am so disapointed by this organization. All they ever do is whine about how little money they have, and then they go and spend it so stupidly. If this team really does have as little money as they say they do, then I think they're making some very bad financial decisions.

I read somewhere that we are going to be paying Showenweiss somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.75million next year and Valentin's contract is in the 5 million dollar range. That's almost 7 million dollars on two seriously-flawed players.

Think about what 7 million dollars can get you this offseason. It's probably enough to get a guy like Ponson or Urbina or Juan Gon, and several other players who fans could actually expect to have a good year.

I'd rather have a minor-leaguer than Showenweiss and personally have never been a Valentin fan.

CubKilla
12-22-2003, 01:17 PM
You'd have hoped JR and KW would have learned the error of their ways after the Konerko and Botch spending frenzies. We should know better by now.

And while I think C Lee's best years are still ahead of him, I am of the opinion that I'm glad we signed him for two more seasons but I think $7 million per is overpaid.

windycityson
12-22-2003, 02:09 PM
I don't know if anybody has brought this up in the past, but didn't the Sox get an ass-load of money for selling the naming rights to Comiskey. I know the renovations are happening, but if we don't have players worth a damn on the field....who's going to go? IMO, the renovations are great but that money would have been better spent on FA's.

anewman35
12-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by windycityson
I don't know if anybody has brought this up in the past, but didn't the Sox get an ass-load of money for selling the naming rights to Comiskey. I know the renovations are happening, but if we don't have players worth a damn on the field....who's going to go? IMO, the renovations are great but that money would have been better spent on FA's.

The money couldn't have been spend on FAs...part of the deal when the ISFA (which actually owns the stadium, not the Sox) sold the naming rights was that all the money would go to renovations.

windycityson
12-22-2003, 02:52 PM
well that sucks....forget my post then....even though it was a great idea...lol...at least i have....BEER :gulp: