PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to these guys ?

john2499
12-21-2003, 10:35 PM
I was checking out the Sox '83 audio memories and man did the memory juices start flowing, especially when I heard Joe McConnell's voice. Whatever happened to him ? I did a Google search and didn't get much. How about Lorn Brown ? I know he was from Chicago.

Reichardt
12-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Joe McConnell lives in Greenwood just south of Indy. He is the voice of Purdue football as he has been for the last 10 years. He also is the host of the Joe Tillers show.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Joe also was working a number of years for the NBA Radio Network. I know he was the play by play man for a number of the Bulls championships.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story, we've got some interesting ones planned for the future including a very complete look at the man who runs the White Sox in his own words and the words of others who know him.

Lip

Brian26
12-22-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Joe also was working a number of years for the NBA Radio Network. I know he was the play by play man for a number of the Bulls championships.

Are you sure about this one? You're not thinking of Jim Durham are you? In Chicago, only Durham/Kerr and Durham/Doer where the announce teams for the championship seasons.

jshanahanjr
12-22-2003, 01:56 PM
I believe Lorn in an annual guest speaker at the Will County Old Timers Banquet in Joilet in January. He is very funny when he bashes the Cubs.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2003, 02:01 PM
Brian:

Yes I'm sure... listen to any of the Bulls "official" championship video tapes and you'll hear his radio call. I'm not talking about the Bulls radio network, I'm talking about the NBA Radio Network. It was Joe and either Bob Lanier or Walt Frazier doing those games.

Lip

Brian26
12-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Ah, thanks Lip. My mistake.

john2499
12-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys !!!!!

It would be nice to hear them do a Sox game again. For me anyway, I was only a kid when they were around so I don't know how good they were, but I liked them.

mike squires
12-22-2003, 02:41 PM
I thought Lorn had passed away in the mid 90's, no? Lorn was great. I remember many afternoons as a youngster listening to his voice call games. His homerun calls were pretty good. I wonder if he left on his terms or if the Sox let guys like Mconnell/Brown go. Lip, Maybe you could do an interview with either of these guys. That would be cool.

roofshot87
12-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
. I'm glad you enjoyed the story, we've got some interesting ones planned for the future including a very complete look at the man who runs the White Sox in his own words and the words of others who know him.

Lip

This is the chairman? If it is, then giddiup.