PDA

View Full Version : Trying to WIN it ALL

nasox
12-21-2003, 02:31 AM
By looking at what is being posted on these boards, all we want to do is to win the division. And if this is what JR and KW want to do, why don't we go for more, as in postseason depth. Actually, hold on, KW wants the division, JR wants the green. But anyway, do we fans feel as the division being satisfactory and just that. Do we want to settle for the division and just that, not more? To me, that is a cop out. The division is a great start but its not enough. I want a world series winner, dammit. Who is with me? Comments, answers, anything??

Also, what will it take to get the White Sox to have this desire too? Personally, I feel that a change of ownership is necessary (and I think that is coming within a few years as JR is old and we now his tricks and his ways).

hillbilly
12-21-2003, 02:41 AM
Did we quit when the germans bombed pearl harbor....NO!!!! I say we make our own team and challenge the sox and the winner plays in 2004!!!!! Who's with me?? If lightning struck and we won i guarantee we wouldnt be swept by the tigers during the season.

CLR01
12-21-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by hillbilly
If lightning struck and we won i guarantee we wouldnt be swept by the tigers during the season.

I'll take swept and give you 500-1 odds.

MRKARNO
12-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen, which is why our goal is to get there

ewokpelts
12-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen, which is why our goal is to get there

but the team should have a two fold goal, one...to make the playoffs...and two...go deep in the playoff, possibly winning it all...
gene

CubKilla
12-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by nasox
By looking at what is being posted on these boards, all we want to do is to win the division. And if this is what JR and KW want to do, why don't we go for more, as in postseason depth. Actually, hold on, KW wants the division, JR wants the green. But anyway, do we fans feel as the division being satisfactory and just that. Do we want to settle for the division and just that, not more?

By the lack of offseason moves thus far, I think it's a stretch to even qualify the White Sox as trying to win anything in '04. Having said that, I'm pushing 30 and have seen the White Sox win a total of 3 postseason games..... none at home. That's absolutely disgusting. A Division Championship is a good start (forget about the WildCard in '04). But I'm at the point in my tenure as a Sox fan that I wouldn't be satisfied unless the White Sox are representing the AL in the World Series. And then I'd be pissed if they lost.

Considering the White Sox haven't won a WS since 1917 and haven't even been to the WS since 1959, I think White Sox fans have earned the right to expect a better playoff showing from the recent Sox playoff teams and to expect better from future Sox Playoff teams.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2003, 04:35 PM
NaSox:

As of this date the Sox don't even look like a good bet to win the weakest division in baseball. The pitching staff is awful and despite Williams' best efforts nothing has been done to correct it.

Bob Vanderberg the assistant sports editor of the Tribune, a devout Sox fan and Sox author (3 books) told me something that I thought significant in his interview with WSI.

He said the Sox organization has to end this "defeatist" attitude that they have...i.e. they can't compete with the Cubs, they can't compete with the Yankees etc...' That means a total committment in all areas of baseball both on and off the field. The Sox claim they don't have money so they don't do it. (and it shows...)

Lip