PDA

View Full Version : Disco Demolition gift idea

VeeckAsInWreck
12-20-2003, 02:00 PM
For those interested in learning a bit more about Disco Demolition, or those who want to remember it. I found this on ebay, check it out! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3371752961&category=41658)

Brian26
12-20-2003, 05:27 PM
I've always wanted to see an actual tape of that event as it happened, even maybe including the entire first game. This guy has a fancy auction with the photos and graphics, but nowhere does he say how long the tape is. I have a feeling it would be a disappointment. My guess is that he has some footage from 1989 on the ten year anniversary, when several stations showed some old clips and interviews. This guy doesn't really say he has the edited full, length tape of the event.

soxnut
12-20-2003, 05:32 PM
How about having a Hip-Hop demolition night in '04? :D:

soxnut
12-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
How about having a Hip-Hop demolition night in '04? :D:

Or a "put the rappers in the crapper night"? :D:

adsit
12-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I've always wanted to see an actual tape of that event as it happened, even maybe including the entire first game. This guy has a fancy auction with the photos and graphics, but nowhere does he say how long the tape is. I have a feeling it would be a disappointment. My guess is that he has some footage from 1989 on the ten year anniversary, when several stations showed some old clips and interviews. This guy doesn't really say he has the edited full, length tape of the event.

You're probably right there. Though some people undoubtedly rolled their Betamaxes on WSNS the night of the actual game (it was hyped so hard, on The Loop and elsewhere), Ch. 44's coverage didn't include news reports. IIRC, they did their best to deliberately NOT show the chaos (I didn't see much of it live- I was, of all things, working that night!). And he'd have had to be quick to get all that breaking news on tape as it happened. They didn't have multiple live-shot newsgasms in '79, like they do now.

Interesting to see, yeah. Worth $41 (as it stood on eBay as linked over there)? Not really.

I wonder if the Museum of Broadcast Communications has an archive of the game footage. Seems like something they'd have. One of you current Chicagoans ought to check that out...

Mountain Man
12-20-2003, 06:18 PM
I have always found in interesting that Dahl caught all the blame. Some people seem to think he just jumped on the field and started demoloshing records like he use to drop in on television evangelists. The promotion was authorized by the Sox, and they were even congratulating themselves for the promotion during the first game.

It was probably a great career move by Dahl getting all the blame. He will forever be remembered for that night.

southsidegirl
12-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Or a "put the rappers in the crapper night"? :D:

I would be up for that. We could burn P. Diddy's and other rappers clothing lines and stuff.